What Generator Receptacle is Used to Connect a 25-30 Amp AC Power Cable to a House Transfer Switch?

I initially thought it was obviously the 25-30 amp RV receptacle, but I noticed it is a “DC” receptacle, and one cannot connect DC current to the house. So, what generator AC receptacle does one use to connect the 25-30 amp power cable from the generator to the house’s transfer switch???

1 Like

@Scott-Benson did an awesome write up on how to connect your ac200 to the house here…

1 Like

I have read the whole link, a lot of good info, thanks! However, there’s one crucial point I still do not understand: one end of the power cable can go into an L14-30 connection of the transfer switch. That part is clear. HOWEVER, how do you connect the other end to the generator??? I will be getting the AC300. Can this connection to the generator be via only one connection (which can hand all 25 amp output of the AC300?), and what connection would that be?

It looks like you are using a regular extension cord with a 3-pring plug into one of the generator’s AC outlets with the other end having a L14-30 plug into the transfer switch! However, that can handle only 15 amps. In this setup, how do you use the other 10 amps (in case of AC300). It cannot be via another similar extension cord as the transfer switch has only ONE L14-30 receptacle.

Are you saying it is impossible to channel all 25 amps (in case of AC300) via one power cable? Thank you very much!

here is the cheater connector-it takes 120 volts-puts it on l14-30 the 2-230 volt legs
from his post
Tell you electrician that you can buy a cord (See Below) that bridges both 120 volt incoming wires to your house. By plugging in this cord to the ac200 you will have power to all the 120 volt circuits to your house with the setup you described. You do not need to have 220 volts going into your house with this cord but you will only be able to use the 120 volt circuits. You can still plug a 220 volt generator into the same socket at any time and also use 220 volt and all circuits

amazon.com

AC WORKS Generator to Transfer Switch L14-30 Inlet Box Adapter (15Amp Household…

AC WORKS Generator to Transfer Switch L14-30 Inlet Box Adapter (15Amp Household to L14-30 Flexible) - - Amazon.com
i would get away from the l-14-30 female plug in and just hang a #10 -3 thhn wire /cord -with the RV plug to plug into ac300 max and connect wires in side transfer switch-IF you are not using 230 gas gen set

Please excuse my lack of understanding, but this could only plug into ONE 120V/15A receptacle on the generator. How do I get the remaining 10A (in case of AC300) to the transfer switch? If you say use two of these things, that won’t work as there is only ONE L14-30 receptacle in the transfer switch!

With all due respect, I do not understand your second paragraph; please restate/clarify. Sounds like you are saying do not use the transfer switch’s L14-30 receptacle on the one end of the power cable and the other end would go into the RV receptacle on the generator. However, the specs for the AC300 (and AC200MAX) state it is DC, not AC. Thank you very much!

no -you are plugging in the 30 RV plug to your 300 max-#10 thhn wire or flex cordis rated at 30 amps usage .HARD wiring it into transfer switch (roll up on hanger when not in use)
And remember this is for people that are not using 230 vt genset.IF you are using a 230vt gen set you could configure it to use l-14.30,but no way at the same time.or fireworks.
he is doing this because the ac200p only gives up 16.6 volts

You would connect to the 30 RV socket (TT30) of the 300 Max and the other end of the cable to your transfer switch. You can buy a TT30 to 4L30 converter easily if needed. Keep in mind though as K9base said above…this gives you only 120 volts without 220 volts. I would suggest you consult with an electrician to steer you in the right location for your specific installation.

Scott-Benson:
I think you meant by saying “of the 300 Max” you intended say the “AC300 or AC200MAX”; is that correct?

Thank you for a clear, straightforward answer! You answer sounds reasonable, except for TWO BIG PROBLEMS: on Bluetti’s website, the “RV socket” is stated to be a DC receptacle with a limit of 12+ volts!! You need “AC” current going to the transfer switch at 120 volts. Please respond. Thank you so much.

It was suggested on a thread on the Bluetti FB page that you use this connector plugged into two of the AC outlets.

Combiner trasnfer switch adapter

I found at least one on Amazon: Amazon.com: Parkworld 886115A Combiner, Household (2) 5-15 Plug Dual Males to Generator Twist Lock L14-30 Receptacle Female Y Adapter Cord (13.5 FT): Electronics. Handles 30 amp loads.

Now, is there any way to verify this setup from the AC300 to a transfer switch would be OK (it looks like it would, but electricity can be a weird animal). For example, can the longer part of the cord (having the L14-30 receptacle) pull 15 amps from one of the two shorter branches and also 15 amps from the other shorter branch? Will this result in only 15 amps total to the L14-30 receptacle or will it be a sum of 30 amps? For example, I doubt the 120v is doubled to 240v, so why would the amperage be doubled?

I ask this since each of the six AC 3-prong female plugs on the AC300 has a limit of 15 amps. So, can the two 15 amp receptacles on the AC300 be combined into a cumulative total of 30 amps? This is a critical question, as if this is not possible (total of 30 amps) then hooking the AC300 into a 30 amp transfer switch is a waste (25 amps possible, but only 15 used = 15 amps out of 25, or a 40% waste!), and then perhaps one should look for another generator (such as the Ecoflow Delta Pro) that does have one dedicated hook-up (called the “infinity” receptacle) to a 30 amp transfer switch.

Also, can one of the moderators of this site please look into this? Thanks!!!

There is an AC 30 amp RV socket and also a 12 volt 30 amp regulated DC output socket. Each for a separate purpose

1 Like

OK, but WHERE on the generator is the AC 30 amp 120v RV socket??? It certainly CANNOT be the one to the right of the front 6 AC 120 15 amp sockets (on the AC300) which is the one under the largest rubber “flap” on the front. Guys, I am only asking for a simple answer: WHERE is it on the unit?

It can be under that large rubber flap because that is where it is located. Not sure why you are having such an issue understanding the information

FINALLY FOUND THE ANSWER regarding the AC300 and the 120V 30A AC RV port, which agrees with Scott-Benson:

First, the 120V 30A AC RV port is indeed under the largest rubber flap to the right of the six 20A 120v receptacles.

Second, the “12v 30A RV Output” port is located in the upper left corner area.

You can see all these in a picture at the following link: First-Look Review of the Bluetti AC200 Max and AC300 Power Stations . I will also post this information elsewhere on this site.

thank God…that was one hard bit of info to get you to see the light,1036535672_gif

I think the issue may be that you are citing info from bluetti but your link to reference is not from Bluetti. If you google Bluetti AC300 max and go to their site, you will find that the information you are citing is not correct. All the details are on that page which clearly lists the input and output ports

k9base:

It appears you are quite knowledgeable in these subjects, but you have to admit some of your answers were so cryptic they were hard for a newbie like me to understand what is being said. I thank you very much for your attention and efforts to this matter.

Scott-Benson:

I have examined that site many times, including the Output Ports. Due to that other site, and your inputs, I now recognize that the referenced “1 x NEMA TT-30” really means the “120v 30A AC RV Port.” You have do admit that the terminology of “1 x NEMA TT-30” is hardly intuitively indicative to a layperson as myself of referring to a 120v, AC, RV Port. The 30 part maybe indicative of 30 amps. I think they should have said “1 x NEMA TT-30, 120V, 30A, AC, RV port.”

So, this is the port that will have a cable from it to any home transfer switch. Apparently others on this site did not recognize that as well as they were trying to suggest that maybe using a Y-connector from 2 of the 5-15 20A 120V ports (6 of them) should be the means of connecting to a transfer switch to a L14-30 receptacle. That kind of connection could be dangerous according to some.

remember =if a term /item is unknown to you=copy/paste to search box…helps to grasp someone explanation…i do it all the time.you are gettin there.

Subsequent posting to my above post of August 10th regarding the “Y”-shaped connector: I have found out that this setup MAY be dangerous according to some people. So, be careful with it. Also, I have subsequently found out that the large round receptacle on the front is indeed 120v 30A AC receptacle. So, there is no need for the “Y” device.