UPS Problem on EB3A

Update for me - This morning the firmware update was available for me on an iPhone - updated successfully. I’ll test the UPS function later once I figure out polarity of extension cables to panels to power station - having problems with that (lol).

I am running Android, specifically a model Fold 3.

1 Like

I have an iPhone X. I see there is not only new firmware for the EB3A, but also an update to the app in the app store. Has any Apple user updated the app on their phone? If so, any issues?

@Vinman thank you. I have an iPhone and am wondering if the update just hasn’t become available to iOS users yet. Seems they may just be rolling out the update to users sporadically tho cause I’m now seeing users of both iOS/non-iOS platforms doing it.

Interesting tho… I have the .05 firmware on my EB3a and tested running a Wyze camera from the AC side (displaying 0w from output but running properly), with ecomode turned off. After 1 hour I unplugged the ac wall charger. So it’s been running on the EB3a strictly now for 4 hours and within my camera app, it hasn’t shown ANY breaks in recording/power loss for the past 5 hours. Meaning the ups feature is working fine. At least with a security camera pulling maybe 2-3 watts (shown on killawatt) thru the AC inverter. :man_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

For some reason I still show no firmware updates available, on the .05 version of both. They must have some way to stagger the rollout, I guess. I updated the firmware right out of the box so I know it can be done on my unit and phone.

1 Like

4 hours is not enough time for the problem to manifest itself. I can go for a day but then the next day randomly the AC output cuts of just enough to turn off my computer and reboot my smart lamp which lights up my default when first plugged in so i know the AC output had a short brownout.
I have heard if using a VPN it can prevent the update from showing. Either make sure you are not using a VPN on your phone or if possible try a VPN connected to another region. Jayling using an Iphone as well a couple of posts above ran into this VPN issue with going from .02 to .05 but eventually got the .09 and .10 update today so hopefully it will show up on your iPhone soon.

3 Likes

@Vinman right on. I’ll keep the camera plugged into the unit and randomly unplug ac wall plug and see how things go for the next few days.

And I’m gonna try the vpn disconnect trick next time I’m near the unit. Worth trying at least

2 Likes

Well the idea is not to unplug the AC outlet. Having the AC plug in triggers the UPS Bypass mode. The problem is when on UPS Bypass (supposedly the ac input is shunted to the ac outlet on EB3A it is supposed to be constant on never losing AC. The bug is that it will drop AC on the EB3A outlets just long enough (i heard 500ms from the FB group post) that it can disrupt equipment that cannot tolerate such a long disruption (e.g modem, router, computer).

2 Likes

I just ordered the EB3A from Amazon. I’m still waiting for it to arrive in a few days. What’s the general consensus for updating the firmware? Should I wait or go for it? Also, are there any particular red flags to look out for?

1 Like

I would say update. Several known bugs at least on .02 and .05 from what i read. Most likely your unit will come with .02.

Make sure you have a good bluetooth connection to the EB3A or at least be a couple of feet away from it when updating.

2 Likes

Here’s my latest update:

Well, even with the new firmware of .09 & .10, my test failed again just now. Had the EB3A charged up to 100%, plugged it in for UPS & turned on AC for UPS bypass mode, both lights lit. Hooked up my modem and router which were drawing 25 watts and they ran fine but for only 1 hour. Then I heard the fan kick on, checked the display and the battery was at 99% and drawing 93w from the grid while the AC was at 26w. Within 2 minutes the station’s green AC light shut off and both the modem & router lost power. So frustrating. After hearing good reports of this new firmware working for others, at least so far, I’m a tad disappointed.

1 Like

My AC button never turns off fyi with the bug. Just a thought just to make sure nothing is “shorting out the AC outlet” on the EB3A, perhaps one of the devices AC adapter is drawing too much power in bursts to freak out the EB3A. Have you tried say just putting the modem and not the router on the EB3A to see if the problem still exists? If no issues, try swapping and putting the router on the EB3A and modem on wall outlet so basically only one device at at time, Curious if it will have any effect as to a solution for you. Also are they on a single power strip or both are plugged into the two EB3A AC outlets? If on a strip, perhaps faulty strip?

1 Like

Both are plugged directly into the EB3A. It’s doubtful they’re drawing too much power as they looked consistent at a constant 6w for the modem and 20 for the router. Doubt I’ll test anymore with this firmware as I bought the unit to power and switch over those 2 devices together during blackouts. Ah well, it’s still a nice little unit. If I lose power due to storms then I’ll just have to hook them up individually like everything else. :slight_smile:

Well I am sad to report the new firmware did not fix the issue. I experienced the AC reboot (you can hear the clicking relay) tonight several times and the AC button remains lit supplying power after the incident. I even have my charge rate to silent in hopes of keeping the rate of charge down. This and a weird TEMP warning problem where when charging to 100 percent from a low state won’t clear and you have to shut down the EB3A to clear it.

I feel .09 and 10 firmware may be buggier than .05!

Guess I may have to put in a UPS in between the EB3A and my computer. Not a happy camper with this product as far as the UPS Bypass feature is concerned! :frowning_with_open_mouth:

1 Like

Does Bluetti support even read these forms? I know they don’t respond to e-mails to service@bluettipower.com because I sent one on June 27th informing them of the problem and then another on June 29th and still have not heard back. This is he 4th solar generator I have purchased from Bluetti. Now that I know they don’t support their products I won’t be buying any more from them. So if I can return this product, I’ll be the not so proud owner of 3 Bluetti solar generators. Yes, I’m frustrated with the situation, just like the rest of you. If any of you know of a way to get Bluetti’s attention on this, please let us know.

@Vinman strange.

I’ve been running a Wyze cam thru my EB3a via AC, since 8:06am yesterday (so roughly 24 hours now) while also plugged into the wall to test the UPS issues. And the camera hasn’t turned off or reset once. Thru a killawatt the cam pulls only 2-3watts, obviously too little to display on the EB3A.

But am I not experiencing this “UPS issue” because the draw is too low or what? I’m sure my router/modem setup draws slightly more (probably around 20-30w) but shouldn’t this appliance and setup compare and show if there was an issue??

1 Like

Not sure about this Wyze cam and if there was an AC power disruption how it would affect it and it may be too low of a draw. For my computer at least the duration is long enough it turns off the computer. For comparison I am running about 130 W constant and when i do notice it happening it is when the EB3A is ramping up like 150W input to charge the battery and the fans are running high speed then after the AC disruption all is back to normal. I think the battery has to dip a bit below 100 percent to say 99 for the charge cycle to kick in. You can try a DC load as well say charge your phone to drop the percent down a bit but again this issue is random but for my experience I don’t go through 2 days straight without it happening at least once.

2 Likes

I updated to the latest firmware (with fingers crossed). Now using EB3A in UPS mode to charge a couple of AA batteries at very low power. Been running for more than an hour, so I think the update worked. I think the inverter is running because the top of the unit is warm, but there are no noises and the fan has not come on.

(Starting another thread Solar Input Not Working on EB3A since this one is mainly about the UPS problems but will leave this comment here)

Well, I’ve run into another problem with this .09 & .10 firmware. A few days ago I was able to charge both EB3A’s via solar with no issues, but nothing was hooked up to AC or DC then, just charging outside. Today, I had a light plugged in AC, hooked up the exact same panel and cable to PV, and got nothing, the Alarm says PV Undervoltage. On the other EB3A I made sure nothing was plugged into the AC & DC was off, and the solar input is working on that one. I thought I lucked out after seeing quite a few others having the same problem with not being able to charge via solar, but seems not.

Buggy. This really needs sorting out.

1 Like

@Jayling have you tried updating to the new .10/.10 firmware by chance??