UPS Problem on EB3A

Same problem here. Got mine couple of days ago tu use as UPS for my NAS, switch, router. Attatched some stuff for a 110-120W in UPS mode, using either DC and AC output. Today suddenly it turned off, slightly warm, DEAD. No chance to turn it on in any way. Waitin for assistence to reply. I think I will give it back together the solar panel. I guess they’re not ready yet to make it function as UPS.

1 Like

After seeing all the folks having problems with the EB3A I don’t understand
why Bluetti service acts like its something new, I have had my EB3A for less then a month and have had the ups problem from the start. Tried different loads
different settings to no avail.
Requested a return and only got a list of things to do that I already have done.
Like somehow it will magically start to work. My software is all current.
This must be a design flaw, they don’t seem to eager to take the unit back.
The UPS function was the reason I bought it in the first place.

3 Likes

Hello! I bought EU version of EB3A and faced with issue:
I use the station in UPS mode, use only DC outputs for Wi-Fi router and GPON terminal (4W). The Station works fine but every 30-40 min it runs fan. It’s very loud, the same volume level for different modes - silent, standard, turbo. I have noticed it happens when battery goes to 99%. The Station is warm.
I am not sure is it ok or no? A bit scary to be left unattended and at night it’s annoying.

I think it’s not correct behavior of UPS mode. It shouldn’t be 1% discharged every 30min

I think firmware is latest version. See screenshots below:

I got this behavior on my AC300 and others mentioned the same on the AC500.
Bluetti Admin confirmed that the unit works as designed and is not faulty.

The explanation is that all internal electronics work ONLY off battery power. Even when utility power is fine. So when the unit is turned on in UPS mode, the internal electronics slowly drains the battery. Around 99% the battery will get recharged to 100% and this may/will cause the fans to come on.

You can try limiting AC charging current and/or enable silent mode to see if that limits the charging fan speed and sound level.

1 Like

Created an account just to add myself to the list of people having the inverter overload issue in UPS bypass mode. Got it from the black friday sale and it arrived about a month ago, worked flawlessly for about 3 weeks then recently start getting this error. I have firmware ARM 2062.02 and DSP 2056.10, not sure if these are latest, is there a way to find out? Cant find it on Bluetti’s web site.

Same problem as described above. Spurious “overload” power-cycles, making the UPS function useless as it causes vastly more power supply interruptions than it prevents, even at reduced power levels and short duty cycles.

1 Like

Twi, just amplifies this Unsolved by Bluetti for many months and without a reply to suggestions to make as many firmware changes as possible to approach full UPS functionality. [BLUETTI software developers, please respond]
Thanks
-Bob

1 Like

Mbriney

I tried your suggestion 1 as listed and now when I try to recharge the EB3a I get an error message on temperature and battery red light and the unit wouldn’t recharge. Any suggestions of what to try next ?

@PEIfiddler ye at he high/over temp alarm is normal after a heavy discharge. Just let it sit for 5-10 mins and try charging again. :+1:

1 Like

Still showing temperature red light and no charging , unit is not very warm and I’ve waited over 30 minutes

@PEIfiddler can you connect to it via the app still?? If so, shut it down completely thru the app… give it 5 mins and then try charging it again

I reconnected thru app and the temperature light went off and now I replugged in the AC charge and it is charging , fairly slowly at 100 watts

I will recharge fully, unplug, then shut off unit, should I shut off with app or on the unit ?

@PEIfiddler Once it gets to 100%, the “reset” should be completed and you should be good to go. So you can shut it off via the app or let it time out if ya got that setting activated. No biggy either way, but then just go an enjoy this mighty little beast!! Haha :metal::metal:

1 Like

Fingers crossed , will try and run router this evening on AC since that has been giving me the overload errors

Adventure update.
After a month I finally received a new EB3A.
Made the preparation moderator @m.briney suggested. A complete cycle of charge/discharge following the recipe (charge to 100%, unplug from AC input, constant load, complete discharge to 0%, recharge.
Then plug the AC input, Ups mode, AC and DC load.
Let’s see what happend.

After 15min/20 min in UPS mode the Unit goes to 99% and start recharging the battery.
So the problem of continuous recharging from 99% to 100% every 15/20 min stays there. There’s no “bypass mode” in UPS mode. The electronics drain battery power that need to be recharged. For me cycle are from 15 to every 30 minutes.

Then unplug AC input, made another full discharge to 0%. Now trying to recharge, the unit says that is in TEMP protection and I guess until it cools down it won’t recharge. It looks like this unit doesn’t like normal house temperature, may be they build it for the Eskimos and igloo. And now here we are in winter time, I’m afraid of what can happend in summer time. :slight_smile:
I put it outside the house to speed up the cool down process. You have to take care of it like a tamagochi. Nice. Now after I left it for a while outside in the wild it now reached a suitable temperature to finally start recharging with fans going sometimes full throttle spreading a pleasant smell of plastic in the room.
That’s Bluetti’s flavor, you either hate it or you love it.
Now I have the following scenarios in front of me:
A) Test the unit again in UPS mode (the reason why I bought this unit) then I have two choices:

1. The unit dies in the short run. Ask for another unit and when it comes back use it for other purposes, like leaving charged and unplugged in a corner until power outage comes in and, if I am present, connect it to power the devices that of course still need a traditional UPS; or for other uses as bringing with you when you’re camping outside, charging smartphone and the like, powering TV and home theatre at night (1,4h of autonomy so don’t choose a longer movie). At the same time my integrity mandates to advertise on social, national and internationl media, and all the followers that the Bluetti EB3A is not design to work as UPS, but it’s perfect, hopefully, for picnic in a sunny but not to hot day, charging/powering small things. Which is perfectly fine for a small unit like this. But forget to substitute your UPS with the EB3A in UPS mode H24/365 for IT devices to be safely and continuously powered during outages.I know, you’ve dreamed of longer autonomy during power outages for your computer, nas and router. So did I. But we better realize it was a dream and come back to reality.
  • 2.The Bluetti stays alive in UPS mode and start working for at least the warranty time, despite that continuous 20min recharging 99% to 100% routine.

B) I Don’t try to test it again in UPS mode

1. Go directly to the “stay in the corner/picnic/TV/smartphone” mode.
    avoiding all the shipping and return issue (another month waiting).
  2. End the Bluetti adventure asking for a full refund for both the EB3A and the PV200 which will become of no- use.

Any advice is appreciated, as always.

My best regards to the Bluetti’s EB3A “UPS mode” disappointed club.

Fully charged but showing Temperature error again, will shut off and try later

1 Like

Bluetti EB3A was not designed correctly and the company should stop selling it. I have noticed in the UPS mode, when the battery level drops below 100% and the EB3A starts to recharge its battery, during that period of time, the unit generates too much harmonics on the 120-volt AC line that messes up my PC’s monitor (located next to EB3A but not plugged into it). I originally had my PC & its monitor plugged into the EB3A (UPS mode) and noticed the monitor is acting funny, and then I unplugged my PC & its monitor and plugged them into a regular 120-volt outlet. Troubleshooting indicated that my monitor starts to act funny at the same time the Bluetti EB3A is trying to recharge its battery back to 100% in the UPS mode and when the EB3A is fully charged, my monitor behaves normally. I never had any issue with my monitor until I got the Bluetti EB3A.

@alemada haha that was a pretty well written out response, even with the humor and snarky plugs in there! haha thank you.

The 100%-0%-100% “bms calibration” is intended to help users give the unit a “reset” of sorts when first received or when issues pop up. It appears your unit is working as designed so I think you’re all set there. As far as the battery dropping down while in UPS mode… This is going to happen with these “so-gens” as the electronics in the units will be drawing power whenever its on. Whether thats the display, bluetooth/app functions, or loads, the battery is going to be receiving a draw and need to topped off over time.

These losses and drop in battery SOC are also going to be more apparent when you have the DC output turned on and are running DC loads. The UPS function isnt going to work for DC loads. Those draws are coming straight from the battery and not the “pass-thru” from the grid like the AC loads in this case.

I’m aware that being plugged in 24/7 and that constant slight discharge/charge isnt ideal and not the best thing for these units, but with its lifepo4 chemistry, I am not at all worried about it, as I know they will serve their use for years to come.

I have 4 of these little beasts, and for one have not had any issues running my modems, routers, computer towers, and monitors from them. Hell… I even have my chest freezer plugged thru one out in my garage and its done its job. But we gotta remember… these only have a 268wh capacity and arent going to give us hours of power if/when the grid goes out in these use cases. But they have came in very handy tho and at under $300, are very hard to beat with all the excess features they offer.

So I guess in your situation man, I would suggest maybe even getting a second EB3A and split your loads, so that you’re using the UPS feature strictly for your AC appliances on one, and then carry the other around for your DC loads/mobile applications?