Solar Input No Longer Working on EB3A with .09 & .10 Firmware

Thanks for doing that, I really appreciate it. I’m on the same firmware so I think I’m going to return it and get another unit. I’m going camping for a week and need this to work with out issues.

1 Like

Don’t look for logic in logic circuits full-time - hold out that the inexplicable is possible. - Fully discharge your unit again - charge it fully with no load - delete your app and download again - check for updates before going forward - then attempt your process again.

TaterTot, I’d do similar to what Brandon said before shipping it back - run the EB3A back down to zero like you did before and then charge it with only the power cord up to 100% with the AC & DC off. Then drain it a bit to test out your solar to see if those alarm errors stop. Good luck to you :slight_smile:

Alright, discharged the unit again. 2nd time, should that really even be necessary?

Downloaded and reinstalled app.

Charged device via solar at around 99W and got an error at 99% that said Charging High Temp Protection. No fans came on just the error. Unit stayed hot to the touch for 3 hrs, fans never came on. Powered on and off and it would not reset so I put it on the AC vent and after 10 min the error finally went away and allowed for charging.

Note the display still does not match the app in terms of input. The display won’t show any input below 11 watts even though the app does. The display should show an accurate number but it doesn’t when i’m put is low. It does however show estimated time remaining even though the app doesn’t, hopefully they can add that to the app.

Good news in the low PV voltage error is gone in full sun and mostly cloudy conditions. Comes up when input is below 5W or so.

Anyway, hope this helps someone in the future. I don’t have any more time to dink around with this unit. There are some other little quirks like the fan start up noise, extended buzzing that wouldn’t stop once until I powered it off, silent fan mode still having the fan come on and other things I’m hoping the new unit fixes or can be addressed via a future software or firmware update.

Great design, although I wish it had a place to store the cord. Lots of features great output for a small unit with amazing battery life and super fast charging . I get it, first unit with some of these features so some minor bugs are to be expected. I’m a Bluetti fan unless the next unit has lots of issues.

It does sound like something is wrong with your power station, TaterTot. It’s quite concerning that you’re still getting the High Temp Warning and no fans kicking on while the station stayed hot for 3 hours - not good. Personally, I’d send that one back for a refund or exchange. Good luck to you.

1 Like

I have the same high temp warning when charging from a low state. I believe it is normal as the BMS is protecting the battery from charging due to heat. If you leave it as it the high temp will go away and continue charging but I think the duration could have been designed better and be shorter before it charges again. Seems to me yours is taking longer than needed to “cool down”.
I say if you are experiencing continued issues look into having the unit replaced.
The fan buzzing prior to starting is normal for this unit though it is irritating. Not sure why they couldn’t design a simple on/off circuit for the fan. Being such a small enclosure I can’t imagine the fan would not be any more efficient at a fixed speed at cooling the interior.

1 Like

As an update, I returned my original unit and bought a new one. Both were purchased through Amazon and the EB3A is now $40 cheaper than when I originally ordered it.

The new unit with the .09 and .10 firmware seems to function fine. Charges via A/C and solar with no issues. App measurements seem to reflect and mirror those on the display.

The fan might be a little louder in this unit. Kind of whines and grinds until it decides it wants to speed up. I guess that is how it is so I’m not going to worry about it.

1 Like

Got my EB3A this week, updated the firmware to ARM - V2057.11 DSP - V205610 yesterday.
Immediately afterwards:

• CHARGE STATE dropped from 88 to 82 percent
  • INPUT dropped from 24W to zero with no change in sunlight

Today, unit was not charging even with equivalent sunlight. At first I thought the update had broken solar charging, but then it kicked in with brighter sunlight.

I’ve read the post about discharge to zero then continuous charge with AC to 100 percent after a firmware update.

But I’m wondering if the current update changes the threshold for solar charging, requiring higher input.

Also, NOTES on firmware updates would be very useful. Most developers include these with updates. A journal of versions with WHAT’S NEW for each is very helpful. It also helps to know how to revert.

1 Like