EB70s Solar Charging

Hi group, I have one of the original AC200 units and absolutely love it it powers my cabin without fail.

My question here is regarding the EB70s. I plan on ordering one to power my mobile recording studio. I’m confused which solar panel is best to match with it. I was looking at RICH Solar and BougeRV. Both panels are 200W output and Open Circuit Voltage falls within range. However the Amps seem to be over the EB70S limit of 8A. Does this makes either of these panels incompatible???
Thanks for any help.
Markus~

2 Likes

The EB70 / EB70S has input voltage of 12-28V with 8A max.

So you can use any solar panel with open circuit voltage range of 12-28V. You must never exceed 28V. However you can exceed 8A but any current beyond 8A won’t be used and would just be wasted.

It is actually really hard to get close to 200W on the EB70/EB70S because of the 28V and 8A limit. To get the max power into this from solar, pick a solar panel with as high Voc as possible that doesn’t exceed 28V. The idea panel would have Voc of 27V (leave a little buffer in case it gets cold and Voc increases), but Vmp of around 24V and produces 8-10A. For the EB70, the voltage is more critical than amp as you can always add more panels in parallel to increase the current. From what I’ve seen, a practical max to expect from this for solar is likely 150-160W in the best of situations.

2 Likes

My 200 watt Renogy panels are 27v open and over 8 amps and I typically get around 160 watts in good conditions. My Bluetti SP200’s usually do 10-15 watts less.

2 Likes

Thank you for your responses. That really helps me out a lot. When I get things going I will post back here with results. Thanks again!

1 Like

Also consider form factor, weatherproofing and portability. Some panels are heavy rigid, more durable, can stand rain and be OK left out 24/7, but are harder to lug around. Other are flexible, lighter, folds up nicely, but less durable, cannot be left out in the rain, and fabric may degrade with repeated light exposure (occasional use only).

2 Likes

Thank you so much for all the info and suggestions. I think I found a 200W rigid panel that will fit well with the fixed install of my EB70s. RICH Solar has one that is: voc 24.3V and max 10.4A. So if the Bluetti will ignore anything over 8A, to my understanding, this one should suit my need?

1 Like

Yes this should work just fine. Note that with Voc 24V, the Vmax power may be closer to say 20V. At 8A max (rest will be safely ignored) you would get max of around 160W, which is about the practical max of the EB70 solar charging. Check the connectors and see if they are MC4, if so you are set, if not, it would still work but you will need some adapters.

@SILVERWINGS Hi there,

10.4A has exceeded out max input current of EB70S. It is not recommended.

@BLUETTI the 10.4a of the panel will just be limited to the 8a input of the EB70 correct?

So they just need to make sure the voltage is under the 28v max limit… meaning theoretically one still can “over panel” the amps as long as the voltage doesn’t exceed the input requirements (ie:wire panels in parallel). Just want to make sure I don’t give false information… TIA

Pic of my EB70 running 2x180w BougeRV panels in PARALLEL for reference…

3 Likes

Sorry, just forget what I said. Thank you for your reminder. @m.briney

2 Likes

@BLUETTI sweet! No worries, I got you. :metal:

1 Like

Decided to pull the trigger today and get an EB70s. Hopefully will arrive by my birthday.

Next a transfer box. Merry Christmas everyone.

1 Like

@roxie60 Ahh you’re gonna love it!! Do you have the original EB70 unit too??

I do not have the earlier EB70 version. I have the EB55.

I have been considering the ACMAX but I’m ‘getting’ older and weight has to be a factor. I’m kinda hoping @BLUETTI will be coming out w/ a 1000-1500wh w/ 2000 peak LiFePo 50lbs or less as an alternative to the heavy ACs (kinda like EcoFlow Delta Max 1600?).

I keep looking at the Eco Flows but I keep coming back to Bluetti. I looked at it again before I ordered the EB70s yesterday. I really like many of the Delta`s user features (@BLUETTI already knows about the issues people have w/ the EB70). But in the end it comes down to power, quality, reliability & price point for me hence I bought Bluetti again. My primary usage for my Bluetti power stations is home emergency back up power (EB70s & AC200P) and travel power (EB55).

I like the idea of eventually having backup power for 3-4 rooms (I would love to have a transfer box so I can use propane genie or panels to recharge my Bluetti boxes but not there yet (need to find that post/video of someone who installed 2 transfer boxes for their Bluetti boxes to power certain circuits in the house).

Be well @m.briney

2 Likes

@roxie60 i agree completely! It would be awesome if they had like a smaller version of the AC300, meaning keeping the actual battery and other components separate, but on a lighter scale. That way you could always expand battery capacity if needed but it wouldn’t weigh a boatload. :metal:

2 Likes

As usual @BLUETTI has stepped in to help. My original orders have already shipped and they are honoring the bundle discount that showed up on Amazon less than 24hrs after I ordered. With their approval I canceled the bundle I ordered today.

My PV200 & EB70S are showing as shipped :blush: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: It shows the EB70s as taking a little longer to arrive than the bundle but I’m OK with that (only 5 days, no biggy)

@m.briney

3 Likes

I recently bought the original EB70 (non s), us Canadians don’t get the newer products. It is great, the on/off lights are a little dim, but totally OK for indoor use. The display turns off too quickly (especially when nothing is on), but I got used to it. The AC fan is loud, but I bought my own 24v 8A AC adapter pretty cheap. Great form factor, and tested to provide 85% of rated capacity with AC output, would recommend it without hesitation.

3 Likes

I can’t tell you how grateful I am for the parallel connection info. This should be included in a FAQ. I almost sold my EB70, as I didn’t want to take the risk of blowing it up by connecting my two 200W solar panels in parallel. I actually thought I ruined it by connecting the panels in series. The panels say they are 12v, but really they are 24v. Anyways, the parallel setup worked perfectly. Thanks so much!

2 Likes