Sharing my design to utilize my Bluetti 200L to power my travel trailer

Hybrid Travel Trailer Power system

Concept: Can I power my Travel Trailer using lithium batteries for the 12v DC side and utilizing my Bluetti 200L for the 120v AC side and have reliable power through extended boondocking events.

12 volt DC side I installed two 12v lithium 100 ah batteries under murphy bed along with Victron shunt and Victron 100/30 solar controller. I installed two 200 watt solar panels on the roof to keep the lithium batteries charged. I disabled the stock WFCO 35 amp converter charger which was not lithium compatible. I installed a Victron 20 amp 120v charger to charge the lithium batteries when shore power is utilized.

120 volt AC side: I installed my Bluetti 200L under kitchen sink with the AC charging port connected to shore power. The 20 amp output from the bluetti connects to a 30 amp transfer switch with the shore power so when there is no shore power the bluetti provides power to the entire 120v trailer system. I also connected the 12v lithium battery output to the bluetti 12v accessory plug charging port to keep the bluetti charged at all times. The Bluetti 200L can be removed from the trailer by simply unplugging the 3 plugs from the it so I can use it for other things.

5 Likes

@mnovotny
Thank you so much for sharing your design ideas! :star_struck:
It would be great to add some pictures of the AC200L and your travel trailer connections. Easy for us to understand more visually :)

1 Like

Sounds like you are all set up. Did you utilize the 30 amp high output DC port in your setup to charge your two lithium batteries if 120 VAC or adequate solar is not available?

1 Like

Yes I can do that. I’ll take some pics after I get things all put back together.

1 Like

Scott, my original plan was to utilize the dc port for the 12 volt draw on the trailer without the need to even have batteries.

However, since the D40 wasn’t available (still angry about that) and I wanted the trailer to be self sufficient without the Bluetti (and trailer electric brakes need a battery to operate in a break away situation) I chose to invest in the two 100 ah lithium batteries with solar controller in stead of the additional battery for the Bluetti.

I chose for the solar panels to charge the batteries and then let the batteries charge the Bluetti. My typical day of boondocking will use approximately 20% of my battery bank. And I’m guessing that it will take another 10 to 15% of the battery bank to keep the Bluetti topped off. The Bluetti draw will be microwave use, coffee pot and parasitic draw of the Bluetti being on 24/7.

My experience since installing the solar is it topped the battery off by noon on a sunny day, and mostly topped it off by late afternoon on a cloudy day. Now that I’ve added the bluetti it’ll take a little longer. I’ve also got room to add another 200 watt panel or two if needed.

Because 3 is 2 and 2 is 1, my back up to solar is my powerboost F150 Hybrid pull vehicle which has an onboard 7.2KW on board inverter generator.

I’ve got a couple days oh history I can capture from the victron shunt that I can share also.

Bluetti with 20 amp plug to transfer switch and Victron 20 amp lithium charger

batteries solar controller and shunt under murphy bed

report from victron shunt for 2 days…2:30 to 2:30. red is SOC and blue is watts through shunt

400 watts total, 35 volts each in parallel

3 Likes

Nice clean set up. Great job;.

1 Like

Nicely done @mnovotny! I wish my 13’ scamp had more space up top for permanent panels!

5 Likes

Hi @mnovotny

Thanks fpr sharing your setup. Looks quite interesting. The only thing, which isnt maybe that optimal, is the placement of the AC200L. Theese units needs fresh air around to cool it down while use it. Even with open doors, it has really limited space around. So have an eye on the temps.

greetings
Erik

Good point. The back of the cabinet behind the 200L is open both ways for wiring and heating ducts. The cabinet doors are off the floor approx. 1 inch so air can move freely under them. The Bluetti is providing 120V to the following, microwave, toaster, coffee maker, hair dryer, TV, Tmobile home internet etc. mostly short bursts. I’ll monitor. thanks

1 Like