Wiring from Solar Generator to Roof top Solar Panels

Does the subject wiring, per most code regulations, have to be inside metal conduit or can one just use “outside” standard wiring for such applications?

I am no expert, but as long as you conform to normal vehicle wiring stds. you should be fine. Metal conduit would not be required.

Ummm…let me clarify…I am referring to the wiring from the solar panels on a house roof to the solar generator inside the house.

Go to your state and county websites and look up code. Many refer to the IBC standards, but not all. Also look up IBC, lol. Know your codes for solar mounting

I should add, I’ve installed rooftop solar on two homes, one in CA and one in WA, and both required aluminum conduit. And you should have a ground if you don’t have one already.

So, if I understand correctly, if the solar panels are on the ground NO metal conduit is needed for the wiring to connect to the generator, but if they are placed on one’s roof (to hook up ONLY to the generator), then conduit is required?

It would all depend on local code.

It is critical to maintain a secure and efficient connection when connecting from a solar generator to rooftop solar panels. The utilization of canopy generators is a significant consideration. Canopy generators are an easy and practical way to house and preserve the generator, assuring its longevity and efficiency. They also provide additional weather protection, ensuring that the wire stays secure and unaffected by external influences. The use of canopy generators organizes and streamlines the wiring procedure, lowering the danger of damage and enhancing overall system dependability. Homeowners may optimize the benefits of their rooftop solar panels and enjoy sustainable energy generation for years to come by using correct installation and wiring practices, including the usage of canopy generators.

I do know that it’s against code to run Romex through conduit, strange as that may sound. It seems that the wires get too hot inside, so code calls for stripping off the Romex covering, running only the individual wires through conduit. But this might only apply to AC house wiring, not DC from solar panels.

Are these Rooftop panels from a Grid-Tie system? If so, they likely use micro-inverters on each panel as it’s safer and better to convert DC to AC at each solar panel, rather than send a LARGE DC output down to the house to the grid-tie electronics.