Wind power with the AC300

Has anyone been able to rig up wind power to their AC300? In a perfect world, I’m looking for responses that have pictures or links to a video so I can see how it was done. When the response is full of technical jargon (meant to impress other technical jargoners) you lose me. Thanks

1 Like

No idea, but interested in the answer, and also in hearing what kind of wind turbine you’re using? It’s something I’d love to do in order to get a bit more energy in the depths of winter, but I’d got the impression that domestic wind turbines just aren’t viable? The biggest concern I’d had is whether they’d shake themselves apart within the first year?

I haven’t purchased anything yet. There’re too many options out there. I’ve watched 1.2 million YouTube videos of wind power set-ups but none that answers the question I posed. I’m on a hill that always seems to have a breeze/wind.

1 Like

I’m also looking for sources of MC4 cable. I have found some on Amazon for around 0.50 a foot when purchased in a 250’ roll. Anybody?

If your turbine generator output voltage is less than 150 V then you can attach it to the PV port, using the factory provided 4-wire aviation connector and dual MC4 connectors (labeled as PV1 and PV2). The AC300 will limit the current amperage input to a 12 A maximum.

Amazon also sells shorter MC4 cables, or you can make your own, as many PV users do. Just buy sets of male and female MC4 connectors, then buy AWG #14 wire (read and black) as long as you need them. Get a good wire crimper or buy one.

1 Like

I greatly appreciate your response!
A. I’ve seen wind turbines listed as 12 volt, 24 volt and 48 volt. Do i just ignore those numbers and focus on 150 watt?
B. If my wind turbine is rated at over 150 watts, will I run the risk of causing trouble for my AC300?
C. If my wind turbine is rated at over 12A (I assume Amps), do I run the risk of causing trouble for my AC300?
D. The wind turbines I’ve seen listed all have open wires to connect to. I’m assuming they’re 2 wires. Does it matter what connecter I use on either of the 2 wires from the turbine? Does one HAVE to be male? Does one HAVE to be female? (I understand that one has to be male and one female in order to hook it up but does it matter which one?)
The distance my MC4 cables need to run is very close to 250’. The price per foot I mentioned is for 10 gauge wire. I can do the crimping. So again, does anyone have a source for wire that is cheaper than I’ve listed?

1 Like

150 watts is not a problem because the PV input can take up to 1,200 watts. 150 volts is the problem. The MPPT of the AC300 will limit input to 12 A even if the generator can supply more. Get a turbine generator with the highest voltage out possible but below 150 V. You can wire more than one in series as long as the total output is below 150 V.

As for wiring, AWG #10 is good for that distance but use conventional wire. You need not buy any special wire for this application. I do recommend using PVC or EMT tubing for such a long run to protect it from external effects, such as heat, water, or others.

And yes, you need to observe polarity. This is a Direct Current source, so measure the output use the correct wire color, and attach the MC4 connectors correctly. The practice is the positive (red) uses the male pin in tbe female body, and the negative (black) uses a female socket in the male body. If in doubt, get help or support from an expert. Look at the MC4 cable from the AC300 as a guide.

1 Like

I think I’ve got my head wrapped around your explanation and I appreciate it! But what is your definition of “conventional wire”? Again…pics or web links would go a long way. Thanks

Someone just posted to the FB group that he is using a turbine. Awaiting more details.

Thanks Dan…I don’t have FB so if you can keep mee informed, I’d appreciate it.

A push back to the top of the list.

And another push back to the top of the list…

What I meant by conventional wire is common electrical wire sold at most hardware stores by feet. It is stranded but not as much as specialized wire which is easier to handle but more expensive, thus not justifying the price. Some stores sell wire in premeasured roll lengths (25 feet, 50 feet, and so on) which is cheaper per foot.

Liveaboards (people who live on their boats) thought all those wind turbines would be the answer to their prayers for power. They’ve been really disappointed with the results.

Wind turbines are way too noisy, break down way too often, need a minimum amount of wind before producing power, have to be disabled when it’s too windy, and just not worth the effort nor money.

They could not use them while docked around other liveaboards because of the noise. The blades were always breaking, the electronics would often get fried from the heat and too much wind. Plenty of them ended up in the trash can from frustrated owners,