What ac series can run a 1 hp deepwell pump at 180-220 volts AC?

What ac series can run a 1 hp deepwell pump at 180-220 volts AC?

2 Likes

Hello @GeneVillareal ,

Running a 1 HP deepwell pump at 180-220 volts AC requires understanding both the continuous power needs and the peak power requirements at startup. Here’s how you can determine which Bluetti AC series power station can handle this load:

• 1 HP (Horsepower) to kW Conversion:
    • 1 HP is approximately 0.75 kW (750 watts).
  • Startup Surge:
    • Many motors, including deepwell pumps, have a startup surge current that can be 2-3 times higher than their running current. For a 1 HP pump, the startup power could be around 1.5 kW to 2.25 kW (1500 watts to 2250 watts).
    • If you have a wattmeter, based on its precision and reactivity, it’s possible to have a good estimate of the startup surge of your pump.

To know how to help you best:

• Do you intend to move that power station, or is sedentary?
  • How long is the pump supposed to opperate?
  • Do you have grid access where that unit would be? We need to know whether you’re looking for a UPS, or for off-grid operation.

In any case, considering your pump can theoretically spike to 2.3kW:

• If you need a good mix of mobility vs capacity: AC200L.
    • it is likely to run that 750W pump continuously for a bit more than 2 hours
    • it has a UPS function (while AC200 Max doesn’t).
    • very versatile - probably one of the forum’s favorites.
  • If you envision to expand the capacity (at the expense of mobility):
    • AC300 (more expansion capabilities, but the base unit needs a standalone battery, with a cumbersome wire).
    • AC500 if you plan to power much more than the pump (ie. tech storage room).

Let’s keep in mind that AC200L is one of the latest models, and is often seen / described as the best of both worlds:

• stand-alone unit
  • can take 2 external batteries
  • offers real UPS capabilities (no intermediate AC-DC power brick)
  • impressive solar input (1200W @145Voc)
3 Likes

Which Bluetti AC series power station? would handle a 1 HP pump, with the startup power of 2300 watts. I intend to have the power station in the garage area connected thru an extension line to an AC outlet right below the electricity service entrance breaker first for charging then after charging to switch to operation of pump or entire house for at least 6 hours. Later perhaps to combine it with 4 pv400s for additional charging.
Our area AC fluctuates from 160 to 220v and have frequent brownouts. I am not knowledgeable with UPS system.

1 Like

All AC from AC300 will be good for this.

1 Like

Yes, as @Akel mentions, AC300 is a good match, as you seem to need more capacity than mobility. Just see my suggestions below as AC200L could still be a contender.

Few things to keep in mind since you mention 6 hours.

• pump alone:

• at full power (750W), your pump needs 6h * 0.75kWh = 4.5kWh of energy.
    • that’s theoretically 2 batteries (B300) as they each hold 3kWh.
    • REM: you only get access to 80% of your lithium batterie’s gross capacity, so count on 5kWh for these two batteries. Just enough to keep your pump operating at full power for 6 hours, but nothing more.
  • pump AND house

• will you rewire your critical loads to the unit? That’s a lot of wires, unless your country’s regulations allow you to patch the Bluetti into your breaker box.
    • fridge, internet router, lights, etc. don’t consume much, but ensure to run a proper audit of your house’s standby consumption, and have a basic awareness of what other appliances consume so you don’t drain your batteries (nor oversize your setup).

Keep in mind that:

• AC300 is limit to 4 batteries max, so total capacity of 12kWh.
    • AC300 operates only with B300 (and NOT B300S, see below).
  • AC500 can take up to 6 batteries, so total capacity of 18kWh.
    • AC500 ideally runs on B300S.
    • B300S is an upgraded version of B300, but not compatible with AC300. Keep this in mind when auditing / planning, I insist.
    • A special wire allows AC500 to also accept B300, but then is limited to a total of 4 batteries.

My suggestion:

• Perfom an energy audit of your house on standby: what runs 24/7 and should stay up&running in case of grid mishap? And what is their combined energy consumption?
  • Are you allowed to patch the AC300/AC500’s AC output into your breaker box? Or are you fine connecting the critical loads directly into the AC300/AC500?
  • Did you consider using a medium sized unit just for the pump (say AC200L + 2x B300) ?
    • In case you can’t patch your Bluetti into the breaker board, you can always rely on smaller units (such as AC70) to keep your fridge, internet router & the like up & running for a few hours.
    • Having multiple smaller units can be a better option sometimes.

The UPS is “uninterupted power supply”, AC200L, AC300 and AC500 have this feature built-in, resulting in:

• in case of blackout/brownout or even sudden voltage drop, it ensures that your loads stay powered on, without noticing (most devices won’t, 20ms is the guaranteed response time, and even sensitive desktop PCs don’t reboot with this time window).
  • it has enough capacity to operate these devices.
  • it ensures that devices connected to AC unit are grounded (to the house’s ground wire).

Sure, that’s a great option. However, since you mention a sedentary use of your unit, maybe it’s worth considering buying 6 rooftop panels. Lots of us AC300/AC500 users do it.
They both have 2 inputs, each capable of taking 3 to 4 rooftop panels in series. Rooftop panels can also be mounted on the ground; Keeping PV400 and other portable panels outdoors 24/7/365 is not recommended as they’re not designed to survive weather for extended periods.
Moreover, rooftop panels are cheap (like sub 100€ per 400W while portable panels can cost up to 6 times that)

Would it be advisable to use ac500 + 2 b300s? I’ll charge it via AC, then after charging then i’ll run my 1hp deep well pump alone with it. I won’t use it on any other appliances. What do you think?

1 Like

In that case AC500 is too much. It has two added values (5kW output and up to 6 batteries), and none seems to add extra benefit given your use case.

In your case, if you’re sure you won’t power anything else than that pump, then I’d even consider AC200L + 1xB300 instead:

• AC200L has a built-in 2kWh battery, outputs up to 2.4kW and can be connected to 2x B300.
  • with just 1x B300, you have a combined gross 5kWh capacity, which is probably a good start.
  • you can add a second B300 later if more capacity is needed, but that would cap at 8kWh given that AC200L cannot take more than 2x B300.
  • Still, that’s more than enough for your pump operating at full power for 6h.
  • Moreover, AC200L can be used as a standalone unit in case you have a punctual need for power on the go.

But again, if it’s a matter of AC300 vs AC500, in your case, AC300 seems the wisest option.

The AC200L has no 220v input for AC charging nor 220v outlet for use, am I correct?

• AC200L has 220 input, and has direct AC pass-through.
  • AC200MAX doesn’t have that, it relies on a DC power brick.
  • AC200L is the latest evolution in the AC200 series, and replaces AC200MAX.

AC200L also has 4x AC220 outlets; see infographic bellow:

I most probably will get an ac200L and a b300. May i ask further. During long brownouts I use a 7000kv diesel genset and just plug it to the first outlet below the main electricity service breaker (that’s after switching off that breaker), this will supply all the electric needs of the entire house. Can I do that with the ac200L+b300?
Thank you for your most helpful advice.

1 Like

Is it a regular plug? Can you show us a picture of the plug, on both ends (service breaker and generator)?
Side note: That diesel generator is 3x more powerful than AC200L.

60Amp service entrance breaker at the garage area. Panel breaker(s) are inside the house. See pics of service entrance breaker (now in grid), first outlet, two pin plug for the outlet and plug for the gen set. Other appliances seldom used: split type aircin, flat iron and fridge.
20240629_095925

1 Like

1 Like

Interesting, thanks for sharing.
Well then, it seems AC200L + B300 is a perfect match!

How about if i use AC200PL?

It’s the same unit, with slightly more capacity.
The “P” stands for premium, but both AC200L and AC200PL are the same base device. Same generation.

Another if you won’t mind. The voltage in my area range from 180 to 220 volts. The AC200PL might stop charging or show error due to low voltage. I asked this because one of the community threads here talked about errors or function stops due to 190 low voltage in charging his AC180 in his place maybe Croatia or near Russia. This situation might likewise happen in my situation. What do you think?

1 Like

Good question, I couldn’t try it below 215V so far.
There is a feature called “Grid Self-adaptation” (see manual section 9.8), my understanding is that with this feature, the generator stablizes the output voltage to the desired 230V.

I think @BLUETTI_CARE can help regarding this tech question:

• Is “Grid Self-adaptation” the same as “Grid Enhancement”, except that it relates to the 2-way inverter (and not the previous gen / AC-DC input like on AC180) ?
  • Does “Grid Self-adaptation” ensure an output voltage of 230V whatever happens on the grid?
  • How fast does AC200L react in UPS mode with "“Grid Self-adaptation” on, is it still <20ms?

I ask the last item remembering that AC180P (which does NOT have AC pass-through as it relies on an AC-DC brick) has the following warning in its manual (see section) :

AC180T §4.1.2:
Grid Enhancement mode: By default, the Grid Enhancement mode is disabled. Please
turn it on directly in the BLUETTI app. This mode ensures that the AC180P has a stable
and continuous AC input, as it allows AC180P to adapt to voltage fluctuations and
waveform distortion of an AC source.
Note: Turn off the Grid Enhancement mode when using AC180P as a UPS. In this
> mode, the UPS takes longer to switch over and may be unable to provide instant
> emergency power to connected devices

So given @GeneVillareal’s use case, @BLUETTI_CARE I prefer to rephrase the last bullet point to be spot on: does AC200L suffer from this delay too? Or can the UPS feature react in the same <20ms delay while “Grid Self-adaptation” is on?

1 Like

Hi @BLUETTI , we didn’t get feedback from @BLUETTI_CARE - would you please kindly give a follow-ip regarding this topic? Thanks in advance :blue_heart:

@Derceto @GeneVillareal Turning on Grid Self-adaptation mode will lengthen the switching time.
The grid self-adaptation mode will relax the input voltage because the machine is in bypass loading. Once the grid output becomes high/low, the voltage directly from the machine will also become high/low.

Grid Enhancement mode = Grid Self-adaptation mode.

1 Like