USB-C & laptop computer: not reaching 100W

Hello,
Using the AC500, the USB-C port reads it can charge 100W devices. My laptop is a Dell PC, Precision 5560. It charges exclusively via a USB-C port. The laptop came with a 120W power adapter (AC to USB-C).
When plugging the USB-C port directly into the AC500, it only takes about 50-60Watts and the laptop warns me that a lower power charger is connected.
Is there something special to do so the laptop understands there is more power available?

Charge it with a charging cord capable of conducting 100 watts.

2 Likes

Hi @amandine

As @Scott-Benson mentioned, the cable must be also capabil to transfer the energy. But there are also other factors to consider.

Maybe the Laptop doesnt need the full 100W at the moment you test it. When Laptops nearly fully charged, they consume less energy as when they empty and you use them.

One indicator that the cable is a limiting factor could be the temperature of the cable.

I had exact the same issue. I connect my USB-C to USB-C cable to run my Laptop, only transfer about 45W. Its getting quite hot. Does your cable get hot too? This would indicate a too high load.

Buy a 100W USB-C cable. I have this and it works wonderful:

https://amzn.to/3Q1IpYz
greetings
Erik

2 Likes

Hi, thanks @Scott-Benson and @Selfmadestrom.
Windows warns me that a low power charger was connected, and it seems slower.
Is the wire itself equipped with electronics instructing about its capabilities?
The cable does not become warm when charging the battery, while the computer is working.

Hi @amandine

it really depend on the cable. There are cables who have a built in controller.

In your case, i just will assume that the cable isnt just capable to push a higher current to exceed the 50W - 60W.

“Low Power” fast charge cables are just regular USB cables with a extra wire for data over USB. When fastcharge is enabled, your device get charged through this data wire of the cable.

There is just a physical limit for the cable, that shouldnt be exceed, or when it does it just burns. No matter what you try, your cable need to replaced by a thicker one, just like the one i linked.

greetings
Erik

1 Like

Thank you, I will order a good cable as the one you linked.
It’s true that this cable here was a low-cost cord.
I’ll post an update when I can test with the new wire!

2 Likes