Solar panels with AC200P not charging

I really cannot send you a video of my use of my solar panels that are not functioning. That would be like taking a video of the dirt on the ground as a way to show why my plant died.
I thought that my information to you was very specific, ie-set folding panel in full sunshine, aimed at the sun, and with a meter, insert one lead into the positive mc4 connecter and and a separate lead into the other mc4 connecter, look at the meters display and it shows 0 volts, repeat 4 more times.
Thanks for understanding my problem.

Hi @jfes1 ,Thanks for your reply.
The SP200 solar panel has no power output as long as one piece is covered.
Can you please confirm that each solar panel is not covered by shadows and is fully exposed to the sun?

“I am new to this forum, please be kind to me.”

Yes, all of my solar panels (7), none currently are Bluetti, are in full sunshine. All of the testing was performed in full sunshine.
Thanks

strange, you state in your previous post that you have 5 bluetti panels and now you are saying none. The reason Bluetti asks for videos is that the information is more reliable than the explanation from the customer. Your contridiction is an example.

I was finally able to test my panels and another newer panel. I may have two issues… but i’ll describe here:
I tested all three 200W Bluetti folding panels separately in full sun
Panel A - was only registering in mV… so low voltage. Perhaps broken?
Panel B - registered 17-18V, but it was a bit dusty
Panel C - registered 22V, was cleaner and borrowed from a friend.

I connected Panel B and C… and at the combined connectors got 19.56V
i added the solar to yellow connector… and got 17.53
Then I added the yellow to generator connector… and got 17.62
The generator was on PV charge and was registering nothing on the screen?
All pictures are attached.
Please help.

Hi @petemunoz , Could you please take a video to show us how you connected the solar panels and how the solar panels were placed?
Thanks in advance.

When you are connecting the two panels together you are connecting them in parallel and not the required “SERIES” method. The AC200P needs a minimum of 35 volts (your measured 17.62 volts is less than 35) for charging to begin and to have that occur with your panels, you need to connect the wiring in series instead of parallel. When combining panels in parallel, the voltage does not increase. When connecting in series, you add the voltage of each panel. (in general terms)

1 Like

I see that you are having difficulty following along. Currently I have 5 Bluetti SP200 solar folding panels. four of these panels are not functioning properly. As described previously, I tested each panel in full sunshine. Of the 5 panels only one, when tested with a volt meter, set on dc, showed 12 volts, one of the others, when tested with the same meter, one tested zero volts and one tested 4 volts, the other 2 tested similarly. At that time I removed those 5 panels and installed, in their place, 4 rigid type 240 watt panels, which are working just fine. I don’t see where I stated that I had no Bluetti solar panels. Instead of trying to resolve why my Bluetti solar panels are not functioning as expected, this forum decided to respond with-“The SP200 solar panel has no power output as long as one piece is covered.
Can you please confirm that each solar panel is not covered by shadows and is fully exposed to the sun?”. I had already stated that answer. Then to further not address my original problem of the Bluetti SP200 folding solar panel not functioning, the Moderator jumps into the string of back and forth responses, by adding his solution to my problem of the SP200 folding solar panels not functioning by adding-“strange, you state in your previous post that you have 5 bluetti panels and now you are saying none. The reason Bluetti asks for videos is that the information is more reliable than the explanation from the customer. Your contridiction is an example.”.
I can only feel that this forum believes that I am lying. Well thanks a lot. By the way, Thanks for the wonderful solutions you put forth to resolve my problem. It has been memorable. ATTA A BOY!

Having trouble following along because your information changes, Below are two examples of your explanatory communication. Notice one states 5 bluetti panels and the second state none are bluetti panels. I for one was having difficulty following the issue.

I am new to this forum, please be kind to me. I have 5 Bluetti SP200 foldable solar panels.

Yes, all of my solar panels (7), none currently are Bluetti, are in full sunshine. All of the testing was performed in full sunshine.

2 Likes

@jfes1 - if you are not getting any voltage from your Bluetti panels then it’s best to send a video of you testing them with a meter to support. If they are under warranty then they can replace them.

Also, @Scott-Benson is trying to help you. We understand you are new, as are a lot of people here. I’d kindly suggest that we all be kind to each other, you included.

Cheers!

1 Like

@jfes1, the thread is so confused because of a number of different tests being described, not because of anyone thinking you’re unreliable. If we can focus on just one thing at a time, I think it’ll go a lot better. We’re all on the same side here but frustration or confusion on both sides is clouding the discussion.

The problem above is clearly that the voltage is below the minimum needed for PV charge on the AC200P. With two panels, if connected in series, you should be getting roughly twice the voltage you measured at the yellow connector. It seems you have the panels connected in parallel rather than in series.

As for the tests on the individual panels, it does look one or more could be bad, but since that’s pretty unusual, people are asking more questions and asking for visuals to see if there might be anything you’ve overlooked. That’s not being uncooperative or insulting. People don’t have any way of knowing your experience level, and we all have overlooked things, no matter how experienced we are. Having more eyes on the situation is only meant to be helpful.

I really think if we pick this apart one problem and step at a time, without changing up multiple things at a time, any real issues can be uncovered. Your detailed description of the situation quoted above illustrates that clearly.

If I were trying to get to the bottom of similar issues, I’d try connecting B and C panels in series to see if the AC200P will now charge, after verifying that there’s more than 35 volts at the yellow connector. Then I’d go back to the panel(s) that don’t seem to be outputting anything and try again just to be sure that it really looks like the panel is dead.

I hope none of that sounds patronizing. I’m just trying to help.

@jfes1 is someone else that just commented to my thread… with similar but different issues… and a whole bunch of folks had some back and forth.

I have the original thread… with only one follow up.

I went back and checked both my original panels… and now both are reading less than 50mV… while my buddy’s newer panel is 22.5V. So seems like my panels are toast. What would cause that? Would leaving them plugged for with the generator at 100% ruin them? And more importantly… what do i do now?

I was able to take a meter reading and picture of each bluetti panel. I tried to send them thru We Transfer, but the, send to, email address had unacceptable characters, so I tried to send it to scottbenson@bluetti.com and it came back as not delivered. Where did I go wrong?
My experience with computers and the internet is long, but not expert.
My experience with electricity is that it scares me to death, but I am more afraid of making irreversible mistakes.
My experience with solar generators is very limited, just bluetti. I have several, an EB70, AC200P (2),1 EP500, and a B300.
I am 79 years young and have COPD (on 24-7 Oxygen). These Bluetti products will, eventually work for me to have electricity during a power outage.
I agree that I confused the issue, by having multiple sets of information put forward, thinking that you would know exactly my problem. I am sorry for that.
I will limit myself to one thing at a time.
So, with that, how do I get the photographs to you?

Hi @jfes1 - you should be able to post the pictures right in a forum post. There’s an icon right about the middle of the top bar of the editor.

@Scott-Benson isn’t a Bluetti employee - he’s just another forum member like us (though way, way smarter. :smile:). So the Bluetti.com email address isn’t applicable. Email addresses are hidden for reasons of Spam prevention.

It’s very odd about the dead panels. Is there any chance that the cable could have gotten damaged? Did you buy them new? The panels didn’t get run over by a car or anything like that did they?

Talk about confusing-
The first paragraph of your message to me has to do with my issue. I am @jfes1, and I agree with that. The rest seem to be directed to a -petemunoz-is that an accurate statement?
Beginning with- “the thread is so confused because”-That paragraph is about me.
Beginning with-“The problem above is clearly” - That paragraph is not about me.
Sorry but I am confused about who you are actually addressing.

I retested the four Bluetti SP200 solar panels. The four attached pictures show the results.
Pic. sp01shows .001 Pic. sp02 shows .005 Pic. sp03 shows .003 Pic.sp 04 shows 7.92.
The panels were laid out in full sunshine with no shade on any panel.
I am a new member so I am limited to only one embedded item per post. 3 more coming.

The only thing I can see for certain with the attached pics is:
1-I can only see two pictures
2-I can only see two panels
3-In the two pics, there are two panels visible, neither of them are the same panel and only one of the two could be a Bluetti panel
4-None of the pics show a panel that is fully exposed to the sun
5-Not sure if the meter leads are actually touching the metal conductor of the panel MC4 wire conductor
6-Very unlikely for multiple panels to be all bad with one only showing half voltage. I would definitely look at the meter and the test leads to make sure all is well by testing a known good source of DC voltage (12 volt output of your AC200 for example) and verifying the meter is reading correctly.

7-You need to take a single picture (that show a wide enough shot to include information about exposure to the sun) of each panel laid out with nothing else on top of it or around it and measure the voltage of each panel after insuring the meter is reading correctly and then insuring the test leads are firmly contacting the MC4 metal conductors. One picture at a time with each panel labeled as to the make and model along with voltage output.

Do need to start a new thread… seems like everyone switched over to help @jfes1?