Solar Panel hook up

I have a AC200P and was wondering about hooking up the panels in parallel instead of in series. From what i understand if a small shadow falls on panels hook up in series it really effects the output where hooking them up in parallel it doesn’t to effect the output as much. Also would it hurt the AC200p hooking it up parallel.
Thank you so much for any input to this.
Guy

Will not hurt connecting in parallel but…you need a minimum of 36 volts and that alone means for most smaller panels you have to connect in series just to get the minimum voltage. You are also limited by (I think 12 amps) the input amperage maximum which means that once you reach the maximum amps, no additional current will be allowed into the AC200P. You can add more panels in series, because each panel added only adds the volts and not the amps. For each panel added in parallel you have to add the amps of all the panels which pretty well means you can only add two panels in parallel and those two panels most likely would not be at the 36 volt minimum.

3 Likes

DC Solar Charging- 700W/35-150V DC Maximum Solar Input. On my AC200, I have been running two string in parallel of 3 250 watt solar panels in series. Works great, you can always over panel your system because the amps are not the problem only the VOC voltage is important.
Harlan

1 Like

Actually amps are limited as well and putting panels in parallel limits their input capacity to the maximum amperage which I think is 12 amps

1 Like

Over amping won’t cause the system to break, but you may waste amps as the system can only use 12A.

1 Like

Hi @bentnail1

It won’t hurt your AC200P.
They have mentioned a lot about hooking up the solar panels in parallel. Yes, you’re right. But what I want to add is, compared with the original SP200, the shading issue on PV200 is greatly improved, when 25% of the panel is in the shadow, you’ll lose 25% of solar watts, nothing more.

Thanks everyone for your input to my question. The longer i research this it’s becoming clear as mud.

2 Likes

Let me sum it all up for you…don’t connect the panels in parallel because it won’t charge. Connect them in series. (this is the simply answer) You can do a combination but going through all that will only get the mud less clear.

2 Likes