Solar Extension Cables

Stupid question here but if i add a 25’ solar extension cable between my AC200P and my SP120 panels does that lower the efficiency when charging via solar? I would guess it does just was wonder about how much wattage i would lose for charging. Thanks to everyone for putting up with newbie questions.

Assuming your cables are 16 ga or thicker and 25’ or less extension you will see almost no loss. You will however get replies to this question that state you will need cables thicker than your arm or you will see huge losses and the world will stop turning. This however is not the case and you will easily be able to see the true results after plugging in your extension cable. I would look for 14 ga. or 12 ga extension cables if I were shopping.

4 Likes

I have a 50ft cable made of 10g that I purchased on amazon and fixed xt90 connectors. I don’t think i’m seeing any losses. very durable and easy to roll up.

1 Like

Mine are “thicker than your arm” but they are 240’ away from the house in order to get full sunlight. The property has a lot of shade trees.

1 Like

Are they on the SOUTH 40?

1 Like

No you will not see any losses assuming you are running your panels at a high voltage, which you are since the AC 200 won’t accept less than 35 volts. So the answer is no you will not see any voltage or wattage loss between the panels and the Bluetti. Now if you were running panels in parallel then that would be a different story although with a 25 foot run you still probably wouldn’t be able to tell the difference since it’s such a short run.

1 Like