Shore power setup

I want to set up a shore power connection for my Promaster van.

Q: Should I buy a 15 amp or 30 amp input to mount at the rear of the van to charge my AC200p.

Thanks

Are you asking if you need a 120 volt power outlet to plug your AC charger into that would be close to your AC200? Not sure what you mean by "shore power’ connection

I’m in the process of doing just that.
I’m putting in the 30a inlet so I can use the the heavy cable? I can plug into camp ground outlets.
There are adapters to go directly to 110v on both ends of cable.

Inside is where things get ???.
First thing on inside I have a breaker.

So be careful.

I want to be able to connect my AC200 charger to my house electric or an rv campground electric with an extension cord. I think I need a 30 amp port or inlet to mount on the exterior of my van for the connection. Is that correct?

I bought 10 gauge stranded triplex for the wiring inside the van from the inlet to a receptacle. Do I use a standard house 2 port receptacle to plug into inside the van or something more specific? Thanks.

You don’t need 30 amps to connect the AC200 charger. A normal household 15 or 20 amp outlet socket will do just fine. 14 ga. wire will be fine but 12 ga. will give you some extra margin. The AC200 charger is only drawing around 4 amps of AC power which is very minimal current. No need for 10 ga. wire unless you are going to be pulling contineous heavy load for something else through the same outlet.

I had already bought the 30 amp inlet. Is there any reason to not use it?
Thanks.

none other than it is overkill and you will always need an adapter to plug any normal 120 volt items into it.

What would be some examples of normal 120 volt items that you could think of.
Thanks.

PS: Would there be any disadvantage to a 15 amp inlet instead of the 30amp inlet?

Examples of items would be anything that you would normally plug into an outlet in your home. I can’t think of any disadvantage of a 15/20 amp outlet. I just don’t see any use you would have by installing a 30 amp RV outlet inside your RV. The only thing you could plug into it would be an RV shore power plug and you are stating you only want the outlet to plug in your AC200 charger which is designed to be plugged into a std. 15/20 amp 120 volt electrical outlet. If you installed a 30 amp socket, you would then need an adapter cord just to plug the charger into.

1 Like

I have an RV and installed Hughes “Power Watch Dog” surge protector. When I connected my Bluetti AC200 to the RV (30a shore power connection on outside of RV), the surge protector gave an “ungrounded” fault error. It appear the AC200 has a floating neutral (i.e. the neutral and ground are not “bonded” or connected). Will using a neutral/ground bonding plug cause any damage to the Bluetti AC200?

No, you should be fine. I have used a nuetral ground bonding plug with mine and several other models of sogens without an issue.

Thanks for your quick reply. I will try it.

I have a 1 month old AC200P unit that I intend to use for emergency power outages. I hope to be able to run my forced air gas furnace by isolating the wiring from the breaker panel (hot and neutral) then connecting the Bluetti to the furnace hot and neutral. Furnace circuit board will surely need to see a ground. Can I use a neutral ground bonding plug, plugged into an unused outlet on the AC200P? Is this safe for the Bluetti? I will be connecting to a fused input to the furnace. I haven’t done any tests yet for fear of damaging one or the other.
I have done much searching and have ran across some mention of damage to some inverters by grounding the neutral. Is there such a thing as getting confirmation from Bluetti concerning bonding neutral to ground?

I run a residential size gas furnace during power outages with my AC200P, no issues at all and I don’t use a ground bonding plug.

1 Like