PV Parallel setting

I read here somewhere that you use this setting when you are using both DC1 and DC2 for solar panels. That doesn’t seem to be entirely true. It looks like both inputs have to match each other, which is likely why it says in the booklet not to mismatch panels.
I have 2 different arrays; one going to DC1 and the other to DC2. If I enable “PV Parallel,” it beeps and shuts down both inputs because one is at 70 volts and the other at 100 volts.
Just as I would not parallel them before plugging into the AC500, the unit knows better than to parallel them internally because of the voltage difference. The lower voltage array would drag down the higher voltage array.
The 2 arrays work just fine without the setting enabled. There’s likely some benefit from having matching inputs and enabling the setting, but for now I don’t plan on installing any more panels for awhile.

2 Likes

@St8kout AC500 has two MPPTs, you can connect two MPPTs separately to solar panels.
The two ways are equivalent to parallel connection, but do not need to open PV parallel enable, this mode is used for two ways to connect a solar panel with open circuit voltage less than 150V and power greater than 1500W.

2 Likes

Let me see if I got this straight.
It’s for using only one PV input, greater than 1500 watts, so it splits it internally to use both the MPPT’s in parallel for this one input. Right?

2 Likes

@St8kout Yes, it is correct :)

2 Likes