Our new AC200 - tested for boondocking in the RV

If it wasn’t for HOBOTECH and Will Prowse doing Youtube videos on the AC200 - I wouldn’t have known about the Indiegogo campaign for the AC200. I wasn’t sure if the AC200 could power the A/C on our travel trailer but figured it was still worth buying even if it couldn’t. Here is our video test of running the A/C in our R-POD:

8 Likes

Great setup! But “ Playback on other websites has been disabled by the video owner” :joy:

1 Like

Thanks! I fixed the playback issue.

1 Like

Nicely done @NancyP!! I appreciate ya sharing. I purchased ours for the similar reason. Can’t wait to get things dialed in this winter and put the AC200 and our 13’ Scamp to use next spring/summer!!

4 Likes

I’m jealous of the scamp! Your setup looks fantastic!

1 Like

Great information! One thing you may try…your trailer probably has a built in power converter / battery charger to convert the AC to 12 VDC and also charge on board battery. This charger will consume several hundred watts if your battery is not at 100% and create a load for the AC200 to overcome. You can work around this by unplugging the converter when you don’t need it and get longer run times with your AC200 when running the AC or heavy loads. Looks like you are getting good incoming watts via solar panels and if you have the trailer on board converter plugged in you are also charging up your on board battery via solar, through the AC200, out the AC200 AC outlets, into your on board power converer / battery charger and then into your battery to keep it topped off.

4 Likes

Hi @Scott-Benson . I have that concern too. My RV (2005 class C) has an old modified sine invertor and is only 400w (360 constant actually) which isn’t enough to run the charging brick. My work around is a completely separate new pure sine invertor wired directly to my house batteries (2) 600 watts. The hope being to use it to charge the ac200 while driving since the alternator does charge the batteries, it should power the invertor which will charge the ac200.
The RV has an auto transfer switch that disconnects the old invertor when there is shore power connected. So that old system is bypassed except for the charger. As long as the batteries are topped off I’m hoping it doesn’t draw anything. I’ll plug the shore power line into the bluetti. Which should power the RV. I’m in the process of doing all that new invertor wiring now. My thought was when parked, with solar connected it should just keep the ac200 charged and the house batteries as needed. Does that all make sense? I’ll test it all when I get my ac200… Hopefully soon.

That makes sense. I would hard wire a 1000 watt full sine wave inverter as you described. You will only be able to run one of the AC200 power bricks at 500 watt output because you alternator will not put out much more and still be able to run the engine etc. You also dont want to run your inverter at max load all the time and this setup will be operating at about half load

2 Likes

I thought the brick output was 410w.
Figured 600 would be enough cushion. :frowning:

The brick output is 410 watts but it will take around 500+ watts to covert from 12VDC to 120 VDC. There are substantial losses anytime you use an inverter. In any case you dont want to use anything at full capacity for long because it will heat up and not last as long. Hence the run the inverter at half load for long periods of time which you would be doing while charging. The simplest thing to do would be to slow charge at 100 watts direct from the battery to the incoming car charge port of the AC200. Slow but simple

2 Likes

Gotcha. It’s really only for charging on the road if needed. So it can always be connected now and then to give it a break I guess. I figured an 80amp fuse to #2 welding wire to the invertor. About 10’. Coming off 2 agm batteries in parallel. New to all this stuff so taking my best guess. Thanks!

You sound like you have the general knowledge well in hand. Hobotech has a "Bestek 1000 watt full sine wave inverter on his site and has a review video about it. Doesn’t have any weather protection but if you mounted inside it is fairly low cost vs the output.

1 Like

I’ll check it out. I haven’t installed the 600 samlex and could return it. Thanks again.
My boondock site in FL is closed :frowning: I may have more time to kill :wink:

Xantrex Prowatt SW1000 is an inverter I would recommend also. Built like a tank and works well. I have had one mounted on the garage wall for 10 years and it works great. Could use a better wattage output display though

2 Likes

I looked again and it does not appear that Hobotek did a specific review on the Bestek 1000 watt inverter. I have seen him use the product in several of his videos though during testing. I believe it was on the AC 200 testing

1 Like

Xantrex 400 modified is what the RV came with (2005). 30 amp shore line.
I’ll take a look at the 1000w
It’s such a spaghetti fest where it’s installed I didn’t want to try and put the new one in place of it. (It has a 110v plug that goes into the AC circuit that I’m guessing is just to sense power from the shore line to switch it off) It has a stand alone transfer switch and a stand alone charger. 14 gage wire through out. The AC does have a dedicated 12/2/with G line.
Which is why I decided to go direct with a new one. That old 400w isn’t going to run the brick and even if it would I don’t want the bluetti powered with a mod invertor anyway. I was also wondering if the alternator would handle it. Not sure what it’s amp rating is. I know most are 90amp for a E450 chassis. But now I’m going to check for sure. Rather not pay for a new alternator on the road… :roll_eyes: Lol.
Just pushing my budget limits getting all the solar set up…
I appreciate the input! Thanks again.

1 Like

Btw… Alternator is 160amp

That sounds like you could power a 1000 watt inverter then and run it at half capacity

1 Like

Yep. Returning the samlex 600 and getting the xantrex 1000. Size 0 wire, changing location to extra battery compartment and run a 12 gage ext cord inside. Remote switch to turn it on/off inside. That keeps it 2-3’ (or less) from the battery. Battery post 150amp fuse (to match specs) Have to get me a hydraulic crimper. Be handy to have anyway when I do a complete upgrade next year. I think it will work.

1 Like

Sounds like a great plan

1 Like