Optimal on vehicle dual charging of AC200MAX ? šŸ™ƒ

Hello community members - newbie here wondering about how to configure optimal charging to our new AC200MAX - big picture is described in the diagram (hopefully) is to deliver the maximum charge rate to the Bluetti from the vehicle while in transit.

So right now the AC source via the phoenix inverter And I see the unit is capable of dual charging with some options and Iā€™m trying to figure out what would be bestā€¦ Iā€™d love to get some good recommendations as Iā€™m not very knowledgeableā€¦

Related to the diagramā€¦

The schematic addresses how we might charge the power center from two sources that are located on the driver seat adjacent to the dual batteries on our vehicle.

One is an AC charging source coming via a charging adapter off the Victron inverter via or through a circuit breaker coming from 175AMP DC ā€˜CCP2ā€™ at the seat (part of an RV prep package)

The other option could be from the another DC source is shown taking off from a 60AMP DC ā€˜CCP1ā€™ (though I might need another 50AMP circuit breaker not shown) this one goes through a DC charging enhancer to a separate input in the bluettiā€¦ although Iā€™m not sure I need that many amps 60x12=720W

Okay understood some of this might be confusing (because I am confused :upside_down_face: )

If you want a lower cost way, you can wire up a 12 to 48 volt step up converter that will give you around 575 watts of charging power. You want to pick a model that is twice the amperage you will be using in constant state. The most difficult portion of the install is running sufficiently thick wiring from the battery to the step up converter or in your case the inverter in order to supply the needed amperage without heating of the components. The closer you can mount the inverter or step up converter to your battery, the better.

In the case of the 12 to 48 volt step up converter, you can mount it close to the battery and then run lighter ga. wiring (48 volt output side to the AC200) from the output side. The link below gives some info as well:

See my post on a 500 Watt, 12 VDC to DC converter that can output several voltages from 24 to 48.

2 Likes

Scott can you briefly explain to me what the advantage of the Bluetti DC (D050S) enhancer is beyond a normal 12V source input. I seem to be able to get an input wattage of around 100W with just the 12V source and I have a D050S on the slow boat but Iā€™m starting to wonder what the value is going to be of having it connected? - thanks in advance!

Jeff

The DO50S simply takes a lower voltage input (say 12 VDC) and boosts it to approx. 58 volts. It cannot output greater than amps than are fed into it. Here are some advantages with it:

1-Allows the DO50S to connect to your AC charging brick input connection. (This connection must be 58 volts or so in order for the port to accept a charge). This will allow you to perform a dual ā€œcar chargeā€ by connecting via the normal 12VDC car charge cable and a second car charge cable going through the DO50S connected to the AC power brick charger input port. This would give you a little over 200 watts of car charging capability

2-You can charge with a single solar panel. For example: there are many customers that ordered or have just one solar panel but cannot charge with it because the minimum voltage of 35 volts DC is not met with their single solar panel. They are not satisfied because they did not understand that you have to have a minimum of 35 VDC to charge through the PV input. The DO50S can connect to a single solar panel and then step up the voltage to 58 VDC which will allow charging with the single solar panel.

3-You can connect additional solar capacity: If you max out the normal PV input port capacity, you can add more panels, connect them to the DO50S and then connect the DO50S cable to the AC Charging brick input port. Basically add solar charging max rate.

4-You use any variety of DC voltage input sources and connect them to the DO50S and convert the output voltage to 58 VDC and charge through the charging brick input port. Your imagination is the limit on what to connect as long as it is within the input spec range.

BUTā€¦and it is a huge but. The DO50S CANNOT OUTPUT MORE ELECTRICAL WATTAGE THAN YOU INPUT INTO IT UP TO THE INPUT LIMITS OF THE DO50S. This is widely misunderstood with a lot of users thinking that you can putt 100 watts in and get 500 watts out which is impossible according the currently understood laws of physics. With that said, the DO50S is a great little unit that can give you more charging option methods or increase the incoming charge rate capcity.

2 Likes

Scott thanks so much for your technical knowledge and the patience and generosity to shareā€¦ the more I read around on here the more I see what a powerful contribution youā€™ve made for the community and individuals that exist!

Thank you for your kind words Jeff

I wonder how much power is lost through the DO50S itself in the conversion process. It would be interesting to monitor the input output voltage and current to see how efficient it is in various mode of operation.

You would have to measure the input wattage vs the output wattage and calculate the difference.