My EB55 died after connecting 3 solar panels

My EB55 can only handle 1 solar panel of 120W. I have connected 2 x 120W panels from my other EB150. Oeps.
The EB55 died and nothing I do brings it back to live.
I have written a not to the eu-service department but they do not respond.
Is there anybody that can help me how to reset my EB55 ?

1 Like

@PowerNL per the user manual, the EB55 has a input range of 12-28vdc, 8A for 200w max for solar input.

And if you put more then 1 panel in series… you more then likely exceeded the input range and did some damage to the internal mppt charge controller.

For future use, try and stick with one 200w panel, or if you want to use 2 panels… wire them in PARALLEL.

You can try to power off the unit completely to try and “reset” things but if you tried paneling 3 panels in series into the solar input, you probably did some damage.

2 Likes

Your EB55 will not reset and was most likely damaged from exceeding the input limits. You do not mention how you had them connected but I would guess in series and the over voltage that would result would far exceed the 28 volt input limit. I remember watching a video from another user that did the same thing on his EB70 and it was damaged as a result. It is very important to understand the specifications, capacity and limits to avoid damage on any product.

2 Likes

@PowerNL Hi PowerNL

Sorry for the inconvenience.
EB55 DC Input:12V~28V, 8A (200W Max)

SP120 OCV 23.7V 6.6A

If you connect 2 120W panels in series, the voltage surpasses EB55 reasonable range.

If you connect 2 120W panels in parallel, the current surpasses EB55 reasonable range.

PV120 OCV 24.4V 6.1A

If you connect 2 120W panels in series, the voltage also surpasses EB55 reasonable range.

If you connect 2 120W panels in parallel, the current also surpasses EB55 reasonable range.

We suggest that you use one 120W or 200W solar panel to charge the EB55.

May I know your email address and order number?

Scott Benson is correct. The MPPT input is like a variable load and will not pull in over 8 A, even if you put two or more panels in parallel. You can test that with a DC current meter in series with the panels. Overvoltage can damage the MPPT input.

1 Like

You can never exceed the max Voc for an MPPT or bad things will happen. You can exceed the current limit and it is OK as while you can supply such current, the MPPT will
not pull what it can handle. That is just like even though your wall socket can supply 15A 1800w, your iPhone charger rated for 5W will not explode because it will just use what it can. In fact hooking up panels to supply more current is a common practice known as over paneling. It allows you to get more energy during a longer part of the day or when there is some cloud cover. You can exceed on current, but should never exceed on voltage.

2 Likes

Thanks everybody. Most helpful

1 Like

This was very helpful to me, thanks.

I’m still a little confused. I’d like to capture as much solar power as I can for my EB55, and I thought that overpanelling would be safe if done in parallel, as the voltage wouldn’t go up. The comment from Bluetti on this thread says that more than 200 watts of solar panel would exceed the acceptable current… is that right?

I’ve got 2 x 100 watt 12 volt panels in parallel, usually producing well below 200 watts (I’m aware that the EB55 won’t use more than about 160), so I thought adding another one would make the most of the cloudy days we get in the UK. Obviously I don’t want to blow up £500 worth of solar generator though.

You can connect or “overpanel” if the panels are connected in parallel. Statements to the contrary are incorrect. The key is having them connected in parallel and you have to be sure that they are connected in that manner.

Thanks, that’s helpful and it’s what I thought until I saw the comment from Bluetti Admin above!

In case it’s useful for anyone else, I’ve had a (delayed) reply from Bluetti in the UK confirming Scott-Benson’s information, and correcting the comment from Bluetti in this forum:

The solar input voltage of EB55 is 12-28v. If the Open Circuit Voltage of your solar panel is over 28V, then EB55 will break down and may be damaged. If the ocv is between 12v and 28v but the current is higher than the regulated current, it is no problem for the battery. The exceeded power will be wasted.