Fast charging an AC200P

Looking for suggestions to fast charge an AC200P while driving. I’m an overlander with a 2020 Tacoma Offroad. Would a Victron Energy Orion 12/24-Volt 20 amp DC-DC Converter Non-Isolated work? This a link to a video I saw that gave me the idea: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KS6aFCkGS4&t=17s&ab_channel=T4RGarage.

1 Like

While AC200P is limited to 12A on solar input, the car charging is limited to 8.2A:

(source: AC200P manual)

Now when it comes to isolated vs non isolated, my understanding is that non-isolated would be enough: only sensitive equipment (medical, radio, etc.) would need isolated ground (more here):

Nice video.
However, slight mistake about AC200MAX, checking the manual reveals it is also limited to 8.2A on car/DC input:

The video uses the solar input spec, which in this case is quite different:

@BLUETTI , can you confirm that even though Solar takes up to 12A on AC200P, the same device, in pure DC input (no solar, simple car charging) is indeed unable to take more than 8.2A ?
I guess the MPPT and direct DC charge controllers are separate components, with their own specs.

So the Victron won’t fast charge because the AC200P can only take 8/2A of current.
Thank you.

Correct. You need to get a 12 to 48 volt step up converter to increase the voltage.

Thank you for the reply. I found another solution. The PECRON 500W Car Charger DC1242-500 for cars. It tricks the AC200P by using the PV connection which can take 12A. The AC200P setting needs to selected for PV charging. This is link to vid on the DC1242-500. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqnYaqMwktE&ab_channel=Jasonoid-SolarPower%2CBatteries%2CandMore!. On the PECRON under Support / Manuals at the bottom of the page there is PDF for car charger user tips that is not included in the manual.

The pecron unit you mention is an example of a 12 volt step up converter. In this case, it steps up 12 volts to a 42 volt output. The higher voltage output is what allows you the higher charging rate not the 12 amp input.