Fast charge ac30?

Great! Let me know how it goes.

Sunjkumar, here is how it went: (Sorry about the upside down meter pics. No matter what I tried they always ended this orientation.

I bought three Lenovo chargers

#1 Lenovo Brandā€¦Worked well and completed the charging cycle. **
** SEEMED TO WORK TO CHARGE THE AC30 AT ALMOST 80 WATTS

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01L9RKM5K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Charger results:
Plugged into AC but not connected to AC30ā€¦20.2 Volts
Plugged into AC and connected to AC30 and chargingā€¦5.59 ampsā€¦13.76 Voltsā€¦76.9 Watts

#2 Generic Brand (Lenovo Clone)ā€¦FAILED-FAILED-FAILED Began charge cycle fine and failed after 5 minutes. See video of meter screen. Wattage constantly cycled up, shut down and re-started after charging fine for first five minutes. AC30 charging indicated showed that charging was taking place but in reality was not.

Charger results:
Plugged into AC but not connected to AC30ā€¦20.36 Volts
Plugged to AC & connected to AC30 and chargingā€¦7.83 ampsā€¦13.77 Voltsā€¦107.8 Watts

#3 GHU Brand / High Quality Unit****FAILED-FAILED-FAILEDā€¦Failed to charge at all. Watt meter display would go blank after connecting to meter and then the AC 30. AC30 failed to give any charge indication.

Charger results:
Plugged into AC but not connected to AC30ā€¦20.20 Volts
Plugged into AC and connected to AC30ā€¦Total failure. Meter screen actually goes completely blank when plugged into the AC30. Would do nothing

Soā€¦Sunjkumar, I would say you got very lucky when you tried the Lenovo charger as it is the only one out of about 7 I tried that works. I will order three more and call it good.

4 Likes

Wow! Very lucky indeed! Thanks for posting the detailed results.

1 Like

Just received my genuine Lenovo charger a little while ago. Appears to be workingā€¦the pancakes were stacking. Have no way to meter the input wattage, so Iā€™m draining the AC30 to 0% now and will then time the charge up to 100%. That wonā€™t give me an actual charge rate, but Iā€™ll be able to tell how long it takes, and that will tell me an approximate input rate and if Iā€™m getting the hoped-for boost.

1 Like

Results of my charging the AC30 from 0% to 100% with the genuine Lenovo charger: Almost exactly 4.5 hours. Assuming 300wh battery, that would be an average charge rate 66.66 watts (+ or - 10% accounting for reserve or under-reporting of wh capacity). Sunjkumar, Iā€™m pretty sure you werenā€™t getting charging input of that 88.5 watts shown on your Kill-O-Watt as that is the measurement of what the Levono was drawing, not what it would have been delivering to the AC30. There would have been conversion loss to DC.

Still itā€™s better than the included charger. Thanks to both Sunjkumar and Scott Benson for your discoveries and help toward faster charging of the AC30!

2 Likes

just for fun, I needed to recharge my Jacker E300 and plugged it into the Lenover charger (the one that actually worked with the AC 30 in the above posts) and it is happily charging away at 102 watts. Just FYI it has another use than just a faster charger than the AC30 if you also own a Jacker E300.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01L9RKM5K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1 Like

How are you managing to pull 102 watts out if a 90 watt charger?

I would have to say its more than a 90 watt charger. Both the Jackery and my inline meter agreed with each other

Must be getting super hot then? Mine is very hot just delivering 67 watts.

It gets hot delivering 80 watts to the AC30

Hi, just to make sure that I have this right. The #1 Lenovo Brand charger is/seems to be safe to charge the AC30 faster with ā€¦ correct?

I am making no claims over to whether that is a correct charger or safe I am merely saying that it worked for me

Okay, got it ā€¦ understand!

I will say that I have four AC30s, four of the lenovo chargers and all units are functioning acceptably. The only issue I have seen is that the chargers do run very warm. I ran them on top of an inverted aluminum baking tray just to be safe. Iā€™m sue there is some minor negative effect on battery life but I am not concerned with that in my case.

I am just appreciating any information that is beneficial to my use of the solar generators. Thank you! At my age, Iā€™m not concerned about any battery life ā€¦ Iā€™m using mine to the fullest! I can care less about the 20/80 thing ā€¦ I charge mine up 100%. Plus, anyway, in my opinion, there will be better ones that comes along, in the future ā€¦ and , Iā€™m willing to save, and spend, whatever it takes to get it/them. I love the new, and, am, very willing to give away/sell the old, if it/they are not any use to me, anymore. :wink:

2 Likes

Sunjkumar

This seems to show promise, esp. for the AC30. I recently obtained this Lenovo power supply and in testing with my meter I noticed that the center pin is not powered ? The inner shell is powered and the outer shell is powered. The AC50S MC4 to 8mm and the Cig lighter to 8mm all supply power to the input power jack. Does your Lenovo not supply power on the center pin or does your AC30 not require center pin power ?

When testing a iGreely 8mm jack cable it would not power the AC50S (unless i was testing incorrectly). Iā€™d like to know what you think. Iā€™m still under the impression that the Bluettisā€™ need 3 pole 8mm plugs to work correctly. thanks

Iā€™m not sure. I think one is positive and one is negative.

Just got a Lenovo charger for my AC30 and it does run hot! 147 degrees. I put mine on a chunk of steel for peace of mind and possibly to dissipate some of the heat. It sure speeds up the charging process though, 3 hours 35 minutes compared to the 8 hours of the stock charger.

Thanks to all who blazed the trail ahead of me.

2 Likes

anyone know -does this apply to the AC50 as well? frustratingly slow with the standard charger. is it the same V and limits? thanks

Found that my 120v AC to 24 volt DC charger works with the AC30, doesnā€™t get nearly as hot as the above Lenovo and reduces the charge time to 2 hours 45 minutes. It charges at about 14.7v 8a 118w.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B092ZL6M3C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1