EB55 Faster Charging from 12v Carport

I apologize if this question has been answered elsewhere. I searched but couldn’t find.
I am planning on buying an EB55, but I want to charge it faster than the 12v carport allows. What are my options? I’ve found this on amazon but am not sure if it will work or if there is a better option:
BESTEK 300Watt Pure Sine Wave Power Inverter Car Adapter DC 12V to AC 110V.
Please help.

I also have a EB55 and I can charge it at 25 volts through the PV port, which is twice as fast (the MPPT limit is 27 volt). Try getting a boost regulator to increase the voltage to the EB55.

You’re saying I should attach the boost regulator to the 12v cigarette lighter port? What type do you use?

You can connect this 12 volt to 24 volt boost converter to your vehicle to charge at approx. 200 watts input via the XT60 charging input connector. You have to connect this or an inverter directly to the battery circuit because the car sockets in vehicles are only capable of charging at approx. 120 watts without blowing the fuse in the vehicle.

If you need fast charging can wire this step up converter to your battery and then run an XT60 terminated 12 ga. wire to the inside of your vehicle to connect to your EB55.

If you want to charge even faster, you can connect a second 12 ga. XT60 terminated cable to your vehicle battery to the inside of your vehicle and then connect that XT60 to a small 300 watt pure sine wave inverter. This can now power your charging brick and you can get almost 400 watts of charging power. Running both will pull about 45 to 50 amps from your alternator so you would need a robust alternator with twice that extra capacity to be on the safe side. I personally use the 12 volt to 24 volt converter shown below and it works well but you need to wire it with 10 ga. wire from the battery to the converter (keep it fairly close to your batter) and then you can run 12 ga. from the converter to the wire which connects to your EB55.

I used a set of these quick disconnect plugs. One is hard wired to the battery all the time and the second connects directly to the input wires of the 12 to 24 volt converter.

2 Likes

Thank you, Scott. I appreciate you taking the time to write that detailed response–it was very helpful.