EB3A Overloads in Powerlifting mode, even on AC with UPS

Hi,
was curious if anyone else is seeing this. I have an E3BA with powerlifting mode on, and I’ve now tried a ton of various devices at various wattages but I keep getting overload errors.

Basically it seems at just over 600watts or so it gives up, even when I’m using UPS mode… Which I thought would be “passing through” the ac directly, and thus the inverter doesn’t take part here.

So far I’ve tried a hair conditioner, instant pot, and all sorts of other things the fiancee is mad I’m unplugging :slight_smile:

Both firmware are up to date, is this “normal?” If so, exactly what does powerlifting DO and how does it work? I’d love to be able to run something along the lines of a hair dryer or instant pot, something with an initial startup peak but that may settle down under 600w. And why doesn’t this work under UPS mode??

1 Like

not answering your question directly, but powerlifting mode is definitely not straightforward, and not as advertised. runs 700w kettle, but at 500w. runs 1000w kettle, but at 300 w. (???) if somebody has an answer to that one, I’d like to know. in normal mode, definitely no surge capacity–cuts abruptly when 600w reached.

Hi @Powerlifting ,
EB3A’s power lifting mode can only carry a purely resistive load of 600W to 1200W.
It cannot carry inductive load products such as hair dryers, induction cookers, etc. Hope it will help :blush:

3 Likes

Hello, how bad is using powerlifting mode?
In Theory I understand that it’s like overclocking CPU, it will work but his general work time will be reduced, correct?
Do you have approximate information on how strong it affects?
Or how often I can use this mode?

Please don’t worry, as long as it fits the type of load I described above it will work. It won’t work if it’s out of range.

thx for reply!
I’m planning to use it for router + thing that has fiber optic cable in it, Is it ok ?

Also, what about faster charging than Standard, does it affect life time of a device?

You mean powering the router? This is allowable. The charging speed does not affect the service life.

1 Like

Admin, I was trying to run a small freezer on UPS , EB3a overloaded at 265 watts , shouldn’t it go up to 600 or thereabouts before overloading?

@PEIfiddler , Your refrigerator’s operating power is 260W+, and the instantaneous power is several times higher.
The machine is unable to display the instantaneous power. We suggest that you try to carry other 500-600W equipment to see if the machine can carry the load properly.

Hi Admin

Thanks for the info. Ran my sump pump with no problems, draws around 300 watts, tried a vacuum but no luck , overloaded at around 680 watts. I plan to replace my freezer at some point and will try and purchase one that doesn’t surge above 600.

Freezer, Fridge with AC compressors can surge 5-10x the regular use wattage for a couple of seconds when starting. My chest freezer runs only around 100W but would surge to beyond 700W when starting for a few seconds and overload my EB70 700W inverter 50% of the time, it does seems to start reliably with a 1800W inverter (different brand) though. There are some fridges with “soft start” mechanism that doesn’t surge as much. Note that when an inverter says it can support more peak power, the duration varies based on power. It may be able to sustain a 120% overload for 30s, but if you overload it to 200% (max peak power), it may only last 1s before shutting off.