EB3A Overheats "Charging Over Temperature Protection"

@sebastian.stumpf The upgrade record in the background shows that you have upgraded the firmware on Friday. This firmware is already the latest, there is no other suitable firmware at the moment. Please check.

I am new to portable generator. I have a eb3a Iā€™ve been using it for about 5 months I love it no problem. Iā€™m still looking at videos I would like to try another generator in the future

@BLUETTI_CARE Yes, I already updated the firmware to the newest, but still, cooling is an issue. The Fan is used too less to cope with the internal heat generation. Again, here is the sequence to reproduce it in your Lab:

1. Discharge the EB3A with 500W (according to EB3A display)
  2. When fully discharged try to charge the EB3A with 230V
  3. Temp error will appear, but no cooling through the fan happens.

My recommendations for optimizations with a new firmware:

Changes in firmware needed:

1. Make more use of the fan when discharging at high currents to avoid temp error in the first place
  2. When temp error detected, switch on the fan!
  3. The temp error is a non self-clearing error, that means I have to regularly disconnect 230V and connect again until temp error disappears. If I let it connected it will never recharge the EB3A because the temp error does not get cleared automatically when the unit is cold enough. ā€”> firmware needs to check for the error in a loop and make it self clearing.

Thanks and kind regards,
Sebastian

1 Like

@sebastian.stumpf Thanks for your opinion. I will give feedback to the relative department. Actually, the fan should start when the temperature increase or with a large load. I suggest that you can do more tests to check if the fan is normal.

From what I have seen, the fan only runs in inverter mode. When the EB3A is in UPS pass through mode, the fan never runs. This allows a device in UPS mode to overheat, and when it tries to charge, it wonā€™t charge. The fan also do not work when overtemp condition is triggered.

1 Like

@snowstorm Thanks for confirming!

@snowstorm I just received a new EB3A today and have observed the fan does run in UPS mode running on 120v AC power, I have firmware ARM Version v2062.03, DSP Version v2056.13 in case that matters.

I found this thread because I also got an over temp warning because I left it running in an area without enough ventilation, however in spite of cooling it off later I had to power it down completely to clear the warning (shutting down all the gear connected to it).

After restarting with the temp warning showing, it came back up, the temp warning was gone and the unit started charging at a high rate of watts immediately, indicating it had clearly cooled off just fine, and the fan ran to help keep it cool.

As noted in this thread, having to completely power off the unit to clear the over temp warning even though the surrounding environment has cooled enough and the unit itself has cooled enough (as evidenced by it immediately start to charge after a reboot) is a problem since the unit never recovers without a shutdown/restart, which means not only do you have to babysit it but everything attached to it gets powered down in order to recover from an over temp condition.

1 Like

This is the fix until Bluetti updated the firmware to keep the fan running all the time when in ups mode.

2 Likes

@Mrben yeah I just ordered a $10 USB fan this morning. Pretty annoying. I agree with your comments on your other thread that a firmware update allowing a constant low fan speed during UPS mode should be an easy fix.

FWIW after the reboot the unit does seem to kick the fan on before it overheatsā€¦ So far.

I have a same problem. And I donā€™t hope for new firmware. My firmware is - Arm- 2063.02 and dsp 2052.10. I like this product, but cooling system in this unit is disappointing.

1 Like

I just plugged and tapped a USB fan on it. It solve the over-heating problem in UPS mode.

I also have usb 5v fan for cooling it, but it is stupid :joy:. Eb3a have a good and powerful fan in it, it can cool very easily. But firmware is disaster- it starts to cooling too late. for bluetti more important if you buy a new product ( ac2a, or 60-70) in this units cooling works great.

This little thing can solve a problem. But I donā€™t understand why i have to do it.