EB150 and D050S charging enhancer quirk

Found that the EB150 needs to be turned on first for the D050s to work correctly with a 12v input. If the 150 is off the D050s will turn it on and start charging like other chargers do but then the wattages will start jumping around wildly from 0 to 100w and apparently not doing much if any charging.

When the EB150 is turned on first the D050S will charge at a steady 100w from a 12v source without issue.

Not a big deal but I thought I had a defective D050S until I tried it with the EB’s power on.

Good to know. Tomorrow will be my first test of solar charging my EB240 with the D050s. I’ll see if what you mentioned happens to me.

You don’t need the D050S for solar charging the EB150/240.

You do if you want to use more than one 200W panel for faster charging.
But what I meant to say is I’ll try it out with the car before doing the solar charge.

EB150/240 can take up to 500 watts of solar directly, 16-68 volts. The D050S produces up to 500 watts at 58.8 volts. You can definitely hook up 2 panels in series directly into the EB150/240, maybe even three smaller ones. Two, 200-watt 12V panels in series will probably be less than 50 volts VOC.

The main thing the D050S does for the EB150/240 is that it enables 12 volt charging such as from a car socket or directly from a 12-volt battery, as these voltages would be too low to charge these units without the enhancer.

I found that I was getting over voltage even at below 500W when I tried with 3 200W Bluetti panels.

Depending on the voltage of those panels, yes, three could easily create overvoltage, especially 200 watt panels. It would probably be hard, if not impossible, to find three 200W panels that wouldn’t exceed 68 volts in the cold, let alone 60. Three 170-180, 12 volt panels might work, especially when it’s not really cold. Three 100-120 watt panels, yeah, but you might as well use two 200W panels and still be good.

The other thing is, I’ve heard some folks say Bluetti support tell them the D050S can take as much as 75 volts and be OK. (I am reporting second hand information I don’t know to be true here; the official spec is 60 volts and unless I saw official guidance that said otherwise, I’d not exceed 60.) IF that is the case, three panels through a D050S might work even as it would overvolt directly into an EB150/240.

Thanks - If I remember correctly, it was someone from Bluetti that mentioned I could use the D050S to get more out of my panels for the EB240. Anyway, I was going to try this today, but as always … no matter how many days of sun we’ve had, all I need to do is think about running some tests to bring on the cloud cover.

[edit - actually I got mixed up. The original recommendation for the D050S was in reference to piping more than 200W of solar into a B300. I had ended up getting an EB240 instead for various reasons (and happy with the choice). So when I overloaded the EB240 I assumed it was watts overloading it, not volts. Hopefully I can test whether the D050S lets me use all three panels at some point. Sorry for all the Off Topic comments. I’ll shut up now.]

Do you know if the D0050S will charge the eb150 at 500w straight from the cars battery?

I’m thinking of either doing that or buying the T500 charger and wiring in a 700w pure sine inverter in the car to charge it faster on road trips.

You will get closer to 100 watts. The D050S only accepts up to 10 amps of input, meaning that a 12V battery would be practically limited to 120 watts, but in reality (and I’ve tested this on an EB240), you’ll get around 100 watts. A healthy battery could (in theory) put out a lot more than 10 amps but that’s all the D050S will use.