EB 240 Input regulation

Hello,…does the EB 240 regulate the input charge wattage to safely recharge the batteries?
Does it follow a charge profile as it gets closer to a full charge?

Yes, there is an on board MPPT charge controller that safely monitors the charging cycle.

Hello again,
Thanks for your last response. Another question about the EB240…mine would not recognize the additional wattage from a GoalZero car charger when I combined it with the Bluetti charger,…it only registered 160 to 170 watts of charge when I had them both plugged in to EB240. It was charging while it was only down about 20% (1 bar) at the time. Was it reducing the input because it was over 80% charged??

Thanks…
Mike

The state of charge% will taper off nut the most likely issue is the low voltage. The 240 like the charging voltages to be in the upper range which is not possible with a car output. Not sure if the goal zero raises the voltage to that necessary level

OK,…Thanks!!
And when I finally add solar charging to this installation, does the EB240 have an amperage limit on the input? I know it has a 500 watt limit and will take 16 to 60 volts…oops…there it is - a 10 amp limit on input.

Ok…again, Thanks!!

So I got an additional charger that puts out 42 volts at 5 amps and tried to combine that input with my Bluetti charger that puts out 42 volts at 4 amps…so 42 volts with a total of about 9 amps.
My EB 240 would take the charge for a few seconds but as the charge wattage went up to 300, it would cut off charging back down to zero and start over. But it always cut out at 300 watts.

Not sure, but my guess is that the two chargers do not like to be run in parallel and when they are put under load, one or the other cuts out. The EB240 should handle 500 watts input as you stated. It would be interesting to see what the voltage output from the chargers is during the 300 watt charging.

My EB150 which has the same input limits as the EB240 can accept the full wattage from my 500 watt AC200P charger so I think Scott is right, the chargers or the EB240 don’t like the combiner thingy. I also tested the AC200P 400 watt accessory charger that can be purchased at Bluetti and it will also fully charge the EB150 at nearly 400 watts.

OK…let me check the outputs of the chargers while attempting to combine them…Thanks.
Mike

OK, so I plugged in the two chargers (the Bluetti 160 Watt and my aftermarket 42 volt 5 amp charger) to my ‘shore power’ 120v line and the EB240 now shows a full 365-370 watts of charging.

So maybe the vehicle power inverter is limiting the output when both chargers are plugged into it??
It’s rated for 400 watts but only 3.6 amps…??

Mike

That would explain it. I was unaware you were doing this through a vehicle powered AC inverter. If you do not have a properly sized inverter with properly sized wire being fed by a properly sized alternator running at the proper engine RPM then yes, you will lose AC output capacity. You don’t say what inverter you are using or the setup, but I would look a little deeper into that as you likely need to upgrade some or all of the setup.

Hello Scott,
Thanks for your reply. Sorry, I should have given you all the details earlier. I am using a Bestek 400 watt 12volt DC to 110 AC inverter that has a 3.6 amp output. I have my Bluetti charger (160 Watts) and another 42 volt 5 amp DC charger plugged into it. The inverter is connected to my Ford Transit CCP while I am running the engine at idle.
Maybe I need to run the engine at driving speed to see if I get more output?? Or just upgrade the inverter to higher wattage or amperage??

Mike

Bigger inverter and larger input wiring will help.

Is it worth it to get a pure sine wave inverter or will a less expensive ( I am assuming they are not pure sine wave ) inverter work well enough if I am only using it with the chargers? I am not planning to plug any other devices into the inverter.

My in home UPS’s which are basically battery chargers hated square wave input. They would click on and off rapidly without doing much charging and that was when they were set to the least sensitive setting recommended for generator input. Once I switched to a pure sinewave generator they worked perfectly, if it were me I’d never buy anything other than pure sine wave just to be safe.

OK…Thanks for that…

Mike

It is always worth it to get a pure sine wave inverter

OK, Scott…So I have success!!
I got a pure sine wave inverter with 12.5 amps and up to 1500 watts of output and hooked it all back up with the two chargers and I now get 365 to 375 watts of charging with the engine running at idle!!

So now I have plenty of charging while driving,…next up is to add solar…

Thanks for your help with this

1 Like

See, size does matter.

That’s what she said.

1 Like