Dual charging PV and 110V

Great info here, Scott. I am needing to run about 20-25 feet of wire from the converter output to the AC220P which is in the rear of my Suburban. What gauge wire would you recommend? Or this too long of a distance? Thank you! Reg Jess

Are you referring to a 12 volt DC to a 48 volt DC step up converter? If so, I would do with 12 to 14 ga at 600 watts for that distance

Yes, the same converter you suggested in your post… in the 20 amp version. Thank you for your help. Very much appreciated! Reg

I would go with 12 ga for the 25 feet. 10 ga will work as well if you find some reasonable priced wire

Great, much obliged!

Super happy with my set up copied from this thread. ?. After about 2 weeks using with occasional charging, my 100 amp switchable fuse went bad. Seems broken inside and can’t shut off. Do you think its just probably a bad switch or Am I asking to much of it. I ordered the 150amp version and would that be ok. Really don’t get the amperage/ volts thing. I understand the inverter is getting 12v @ ? amps. And the inverter steps it up to 48v I think @ 20 amps. And the AC 200p will only take a max of 10 amps I guess. Can the inverter take 150 amps @ 12 volts assuming the truck can send that much. The wires or fuse didn’t seem that hot either. Tanks for any input guys

After further investigation I removed the fuse and tore it apart. It appears that the small plastic switch handle has a small plastic blade inside the switch that breaks the contact in the switch. It it very slightly melted which wont allow the blade to slide in its position. So heat must be the culprit. Will the 150 amp fuse help with the heat. Like I said before it didn’t seem that warm ?

Last ? for a while. Read some reviews on those fuses. Pretty common problem. Cooper bussman was recommended. Should I just put a solid non switchable fuse inline with a manual disconnect? And if so how big a fuse with the 2 gauge wire? Thanks everybody

I have a 20 amp 12-48v converter. I measured the 12v current going into the converter to be about 51 amps, and the 48v output to be 12 amps, which is all the AC200P will take. I have the small 12v muffin fan blowing on the converter, and it only gets very slightly warm to the touch

Yes I have that same set up. I have that fuse though. Your 51 amps is coming from your car battery correct?

it is coming from our factory 250 amp alternator through factory installed upfitter switches which are fuse protected to 80 amps. you should have the same currents we have

I would run a resettable circuit breaker rather than a fuse. If that is what you are running now, then I would up it to 150 amp.

Yes, it was a circuit breaker. I have a 150 amp on the way. Thanks. So the higher amp circuit breaker would have less resistance, therefore less heat. Is that the right thinking.

somewhat. The higher amperage circuit breaker should be able to handle higher current flow without heating. It may be the quality of these low cost breakers as well. In either case, I would expect the higher amp breaker to be an improvement. Check carefully the connections to the breaker to make sure they are tight and not loose in any area. This will create additional resistance and heat as well

Thanks. I’ll report back with my findings

Back from my trip. So far so good. wires are cool 150amp circuit breaker not heating up and charging at 577 watts. It’s a pretty b-- a-- set up. Iceco cooler running 24-7 :grin:

2 Likes

Hell yea that’s awesome!! :metal::metal:

Great job. Nothing like fast charging.

2 Likes

I have a conversion van with one 12v LA auxiliary battery, converter, etc. It has the capacity to add another battery but I don’t want to purchase another LA since the old battery would affect the new battery. I’m leaving for a camping trip with my AC200 and don’t really want to take solar panels as I have a pop top style of camper on the top of the van. Just wondering if I can connect a Lithium battery to the LA battery? Also watched this video and concerned about ruining the alternator? Help please!

Whoops! Here is the video link.

2 Likes