Does anyone have any ideas on how to protect an AC200MAX from EMP (Electromagnetic Pulse)

I saw a large EMP bag on Amazon, but it was over $400.

2 Likes

You can place it inside a well sealed plastic container with dehumidfier system and bury it under at least 11 feet of soil.

1 Like

Thank you for your astute, well thought out reply.

1 Like

Why do you need such protection? Do you plan to operate the AC300 MAX in such an environment?

I purchased my solar generators to guard against power outages. I assume that is why most people purchase them. One of the potential causes of a power outage is EMP. EMP can be man-made, or a natural occurrence (space weather). If there is a cheap way to protect against frying my equipment, I would like to hear about it.

3 Likes

First, you can see a suggestion here (exactly with AC200P in focus):

BUT, I will strongly advise you to think about all sides of the scenarios in which you really need to protect from EMP.

1. Solar EMP usually hit the space around the magnetic field of Earth endangering satellites and other appliances away from Earth. It has also more fluid duration / frequency, etc. It is not sure that any electromagnetic burst coming from the Sun will induce in the dyes of microchips and will damage them, and not (due to wavelength) make the power lines more vulnerable…

2. Man-made EMP seems to be very short and very high-frequency (low wavelength) which obviously is way more dangerous to any semiconductors. But if your generator survives, would you have anything left to power it? Do you consider to store all your essential electrical appliances (not only receiver, laptop, chargers, etc, but practically ANYTHING you use today has some micro chips in it - hah, even the light bulbs of today with LEDs have uC based controllers and power supply microchips integrated in them) in a Faraday cage? What about the solar panels? Aren’t they semiconductors as well? Can you shield them too? Questionable.

Just some topics to think about.

1 Like

Interesting. Thank You

I checked the dimensions of the $250 Mission 10 Faraday bag and it seems it’s a little too small for the AC200P otherwise I would have probably invested in it.

I don’t consider myself an alarmist or even a prepper but the threat of a debilitating EMP strike is real and if there are reasonable ways to protect some emergency equipment I plan to take them. For now though I’m not doing anything other than storing a radio, small solar chargers, and some unused phones in a small EMP enclosure I made from a plastic bucket inside a sealed metal trash bucket. Total investment: $20 and about 20 minutes.

I would really like to find a bag that at least claims to be EMP proof for the AC200 though.

Of course, if there ever is a successful full-scale EMP attack, we’re all screwed anyway, but it feels better to at least take a few reasonable precautions.

If you want to have the crap scared out of you, check out the One Second After series by William Forstchen. :grimacing:

3 Likes

I’m guessing the Mission Darkness Revelation EMP Shield for Generators is the bag you were referring to, @Pistulka99. Yeh, I balked at the $400 too. I’ve not found anything else.

Some bored weekend I may build something to hold the generator and a laptop or two, etc. There are plenty of how-to articles on the Internet.

1 Like

One way to protect unused or stored equipment is to buy a zinc plated steel trash can. Then ground the can to earth with the longest rod you can buy and bury. The cover should fit as tightly as possible but not too tight that it cannot be opened. The steel can is safer and sturdier than a bag.

2 Likes

@Raymondjram I agree with you. Zinc plated steel trash can is a good choice for us. Is there any Microwave photonics useful? Or graphene?

I’ve always assumed that grounding was less important than insulating the inside contents from touching any of the outside metal. As long as the metal container is in contact with the ground and there’s no path for the charge to get to whatever is inside, I thought it would be safe. I hope I’m not wrong.

1 Like

You are not wrong. Everything inside the can will be at zero potential volts so no spurious currents will be generated. But you cannot use the equipment directly unless you open a hole to attach wiring. Bluetooth and WIFI will not pass either.

1 Like

Wouldn’t having a hole defeat the purpose of protecting from EMP or CME?. I’m also looking for solution. I was wondering if the bluetti is not plugged into the grid at the time of the EMP or CME that it would not be harmed…anyone know why this would not be true?

I think of EMP protection only in terms of protective storage while not being used. I never even considered an in-use scenario.

If electronics are in use during an EMP event … well that sucks. But if they’re sitting in the garage waiting to be used if the SHTF and it gets taken out when the SHTF … well … that sucks and would be just plain embarrassing.

1 Like

I had low-cost success for smaller components with a plastic bucket that fits perfectly inside a 6 gallon galvanized bucket with a tight fitting lid. It passed all the RF tests I threw at it. So miscellaneous electronics I don’t regularly use go in there. Total cost under $25 and effort under 10 minutes.

So now I’m thinking of trying a 2’ x 2’ x 4’ galvanized feeding trough for the generator(s) and charging equipment, etc. They can be had for $98 from Home Depot. I’ll need to figure out the best way to insulate the inside (I’m thinking a plastic planter or a plastic storage bin of suitable size will be fine), and to make a suitable sealed metal cover, but I think it’ll work.

1 Like

Thank you for the confirmation @Raymondjram :+1:

Raymondjram
If you have access to a ufir ground at your electric service you will now have the entire rebar system of your buildings foundation at your disposal for dissipating current.

I just googled it and it’s not quite as simple as that. The rebar needs corrosion protection to meet the 2020 NEC codes for using it for grounding.