Bluetti AC50S paired with Iceco VL45 fridge test

Iceco VL45 Fridge paired with a Bluetti AC50S solar generator.

Rough trial to determine 1) average amount of minutes fridge is drawing watts from the generator for one compressor run, 2) average amount of minutes fridge is at rest between the compressor running and using watts, 3) average amount of watts being drawn from the generator to power the compressor during one cycle, 4) estimate of watt hours used for one 24-hour period.

Just to re-emphasize the word rough, with rounding used for ease of calculations.

By the way, the fridge temperature was set to 32 degrees, with no insulating cover.

I found that the VL45 fridge compressor would consistently run for 12 minutes, followed by a period of 35 minutes of rest.

The compressor would spike to 71 watts from the generator when it first cycled on for just one second, then about 30 seconds at 55 watts, a minute at 40 watts, a minute at 37, three minutes at 36, two minutes at 35, and finally about four and a half minutes at 34 watts, for an average of 36.39 watts being drawn from the Bluetti AC50S during one compressor cycle of 12 minutes, occurring roughly 30 times per day.

From this I figured the Iceco VL45 fridge would use 218 watt hours over the course of 24 hours.

With the Bluetti AC50S battery pack holding roughly 450 usable watt hours, I could power the Iceco VL45 for two days without any solar input.

I’m new to this so I was trying to find out if it is possible to survive on the road in a manner I could live with, using just a so-called 500 watt hour solar generator. In my opinion, I’m cutting it a bit close when considering the other stuff I’m powering and charging, but it can be done.

2 Likes

Great detailed info! The one thing I see that will increase your fridge usage is opening and closing the fridge as well as adding additional items to the fridge enroute that may not be chilled. Not a huge deal, but it will increase the fridge run time. The fridge is at its most efficient when it is completely filled wil items that are at the fridge temperature set point (assuming none items are frozen that is). I think you will be fine for your described usage, but if you are on the road and have access to adding to the charge via the car charging socket, you will have no issues.

Good Stuff. Thanks for the additional information and tips.

You’re a busy guy. Thanks for taking the time.

Phil

I just got my AC50s and fully charged it yesterday. Tested it on my Iceco VL42 last night and today. The AC50 shuts off after a while with an error when connected to the DC Cigarette jack. I am not sure why. That jack is labeled 10 amps and he screen reads just 55 Watts max on compressor startup. Thats just 4.6 Amps, well below the jack limit. Once started the current drops to mid 40s or mid 30 Watts.

Shouldn’t the Dc jack handle this device?

(Fridge seems to work fine plugged into the AC inverter plug.)

This, and the comment about the AC 20 wasting energy converting to 12V DC leads me to the question: Is the inverter more efficient than the DC voltage converter?

You mention having an AC50S, then an AC50. the AC50 doesn’t have a regulated socket like the AC50S. You’d think with a full charge, that wouldn’t matter, but who knows.

Which error message? Do you remember? I attached a pic of the various codes.

I have the AC50s. Didn’t know there was something with such a similar name. Haha.
Error code was E27 DC12V-1 output over current.

You’re right. Shouldn’t do that with just the Iceco VL45. I’ve seen my fridge spike to 72 on the watt output of the Bluetti, but it’s just for a second before it moves down to the 50s, 40s, and finally low 30s watt drain. Like the math says, you’d have to go over 120 watts out of that socket, and there’s probably some wiggle room before it trips the error code.

Sounds like a Mark Yao question at this point.

I got that error code 27 when I plugged my 300 watt inverter into that socket (for some reason).

Just for giggles…the Iceco has three battery settings. Low-Med-High. Set it to low and see if that improves. If not start the fridge on Eco mode and after running a minute or so, change it back to max.

That’s the VL45. The VL42 doesn’t seem to have that control. It switches to Eco mode automatically I think.
There is a big rectangular button but it doesn’t seem to do anything I can tell. Maybe I need to watch the Watts on the power box as I press it to see if it is switching between max and eco without showing on the lights?
I’ll try that tomorrow.

That is strange, I pulled up the manual from google and on the lower right side of the operating panel is a function called compressor speed. That will lower the amp draw on start up and run. The left side of the panel has the high med low battery cut off control.

A photo of my fridge controls and the manual:

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0053/1536/2906/files/VL_Expandable_Fridge.pdf?v=1599556514