Best Solar Array For AC200L & B300

I have a question for @BLUETTI or anyone else regarding the best way to run my solar panels to get the best performance out of my Bluetti solar unit. I recently purchased an AC200L and am a total newb to the solar game. Trying to learn as much as I can so appreciate everyone’s patience and help here. As a pre-cursor to my question, here are the specs of my solar panels: 245W, 37.1 VOC, and 8.80 Amps (short-circuited current or ISC). The specs on my Bluetti AC200L are: Max PV input of 1200W, 145 VDC, and 15 amps.

Here is the configuration I am considering… run two separate series of 3 panels each and then tie the two series together via parallel connection for a total array of 6 panels. If my math is correct, this would give me a total of 1470W (245W X 6 panels = 1,470W). By running two sets of three panels in series my max voltage would be 111.3V (37.1 VOC X 3 panels = 111.3V). My Amps under this scenario would be 17.6A (8.80 isc X 2 = 17.6A).

I was told that even though I am over the max solar input for the unit (1,200W) the additional wattage would not hurt the init. Likewise with the total amps. I am 2.6A over the 15A max threshold but was told this would not hurt my unit either. I was told the voltage is where I need to be most concerned as to not exceed the AC200L max voltage rating of 145V as this would hurt the unit.

I plan on setting up this configuration this weekend to test it but before doing so, I just wanted to make sure the setup is the correct one for the panels I have and the Bluetti equipment i purchased. Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated!

I think you’ve been given good advice, and I would have done the same. With this solution you get 1200 W max.

Just for fun, to give you more confidence in your chosen solution: other possible configurations:
put 4 panels in series on the AC200L: 4 X 31,1V (VOC) =124,4V < 145 V (max /AC200L). Intensity = 8,8 A < 15 A (max AC200L). So you get 4*245W = 980W (<1200 W max of AC200L).
I understand that you also have a B300 connected to the AC200L. you can then use the B300’s solar input to connect a panel: 37,1 VOC < 60V (max of the B300). As the maximum power of the solar input of the B300 is 200W, you get only 200W instead of 245W. In total, you get a maximum of 980 +200 = 1180 W. That’s 20W less than your first solution (-2%), but you can resell an unused solar panel. The disadvantage of this solution is that you have to run cables from one panel to the B300. You also can’t see on the AC200L’s screen how much power is coming in via the B300’s solar input.

-If you really want to use all the power of the last panel, you can buy a bluetti D050S (12-60V, 10A max), and connect the last solar panel to it, and you connect the output of the D050S (DC7909) to the input of the AC-DC adapter of the B300, and you get your last 245W. So you can get a maximum of : 1180W + 245W = 1425W (with same disadvantage as for the solar input of the B300 + the D050S has ventilation, when it heats up, you hear it blowing).

There you have it, you see the other possible alternatives.
PS The interesting point is that in your 2P3S configuration you can always add solar panels :
-via the solar input of the B300 (+200W max)
-and via the input of the AC-DC adapter-DC7909 socket (+500W max) of the B300
if you choose/combine the additional panels carefully to match the max Power in of the B300.

1 Like

Thank you @Snips1 for the reply! Being new to all of this, I want to make sure I’m going about it the right way! I ended up getting a D050S so I could run my B300 at max input as you suggested so thank you! I have 10 panels so I figured I might as well put as many to work as I possibly can!

One clarifying question I have is regarding the total Amps of the AC200L… With total Amps for the unit coming in at 15, will I be at risk of harming the unit if my configuration runs at 17.6A?

Best,

Jake

@JakeTay the Bluetti will only draw the amps it requires up to its maximum input, so the additional amps are not an issue. It’s the maximum VOC/OCV that you must never exceed. In fact, it’s best to stay about 10% under the max VOC to allow for voltage increases in cooler temperatures.

2 Likes

I completely agree with Erebus !

One last tip: as you have 4 panels in series, if one panel is in the shade while the other 3 are in the sun, this can cause the production of all four panels to drop! What’s more, the panel in the shade can be burnt (hotspot) while the others are in the sun. So avoid shadows, dead leaves and dirt on the panels!

2 Likes

Thank you Erebus! I’ll make a note of that and make sure to stay under the VOC/OCV by 10% to allow for voltage increases as you suggested. Super helpful!

Jake

1 Like

Man, I had no idea about the shade causing hot spots on panels… thank you for the note. I have a lot of trees in my yard so I will have a figure out a way to avoid the shade so I don’t damage my panels. Thanks again for the help Snips1!