Alternator charding AC200MAX

I have AC200MAX that’s currently charged via solar panels on top of my van. I’d like to also change it via alternator / starter battery while driving, but not via the Cigarette Lighter Port because that’s too slow.

There are DC/DC chargers available for this purpose but they output a lot of amperage (60A). Here’s an example: https://1t1pye1e13di20waq11old70-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/08/Datasheet-Orion-Tr-Smart-DC-DC-chargers-isolated-250-400W.pdf

is it possible to wire the output of such DC/DC charger to AC200MAX PV input port?

Bluetti makes a inverter for that use, to tie your battery to the AC200Max called:

thank you, but D050S still doesn’t solve my problem - the alternator output is up to 40A while the MAX input on D050S is 10A.

The AC200 MAX will only take in what it can, which is less than the 60 A of the alternator.

1 Like

Do you mean I can plug D050S into a 60A source and it’ll only pull 10A?

The d050s will output around 500w, so at 12-14V input it will draw around 50-40A input (it would be around 90% efficient).

Thank you. This is very interesting – because your math seems right (~40A). I wonder why d050s spec says 10A max?

The 10 amps is the output spec.

that’s interesting and probably true, in which case they should really update the webpage here:

Actually I was incorrect and the specs listed are correct… The input is limited to 10 amps and the2output is limited to 8.2 amps (10 amps less the voltage coversion loss) since you can’t get more out than you put in. In rought terms, Input voltage (up to 60 volts) X 8.2amps = the approximate output wattage less a little for conversion losses.

Bottom line is that if you are only inputting say 14 volts from an alternator then you are only going to see around 120 watts of charging power. The only benefit of using the DO50S for car charging is that you can charge with both the car charge cord connected to the aviation input cable and you can also charge via the DO50S connected to the AC power brick input to get double speed car charging. The only way to get a high rate of charge via the car is to step up the voltage to around 48 volts or use a high wattage inverter to power the ac charging brick.

thanks for digging into this - now it all makes sense and unfortunately that’s not great news :frowning:

Something seems wrong with that. If it is limited to 10A input, then the use case of this is pretty narrow. If your source DC is high enough voltage, say 35V and up, you can plug straight in without this unit. If it is lower, then this may covert it up, but due to the 10A limit, power is limited. It is only marginally useful as DC up converter for battery units that cannot accept 12-24V. I don’t see when it would actually be useful to use this and get 500W. At 500W, at 10A, you are inputting 50V, at which point you might as well plug it straight in to the battery without this converter.

1 Like

It lets you charge with a single panel for the AC200 series and allows for dual charging by mimicking the ac brick charger.

Not sure if you can change the DC input to other on the AC200max ?
On the AC300 you can change the DC input to other, and add a dc to dc step up boost converter 12v - 48v, this is powered off the alternator and puts out 480 watts into the ac300.
input is 12v at 40amps, output is 48v at 10 amps. 480 watts total