AC500 098. BMS Over Voltage

Hi Bluetti Please can you help with the following
I have an AC500 + 2xB300s + 2xB300 configuration. I have the 2xB300s connected in serial on the first AC500 battery connection port and the 2xB300 connected in serial on the Second AC500 battery connection port.
Everything works fine except when the complete unit reaches fully charged between 98% and 100%. At this point I hear ‘Alarm’ buzzer/beep every time and the Alarm error code 098.BMS Over Voltage displays in the Alarm screen.

1 AC500

On further investigation the alarm fault is always and only applicable to the 2xB300 which have been allocated slots Battery Pack 1 & Battery Pack 3 .

I charge from 2 x Solar Arrays and well within the max 150v so I assume the Alarm code is due to the slightly different chemistry set up between the B300 and B300s when approaching fully charged. If the Complete unit stays fully charged the Alarm code does clear by itself, however if the SOC fluctuates just a little back and forth to say 98% and 99% it activates the alarm again which means it is constantly going off! Quite disconcerting!

4 AC500

Is this something to be concerned about? Do I need a firmware update?
For reference here are my AC500 details

5 AC500

Your help is much appreciated.
Dean

3 Likes

@Deano We are very sorry for the inconvenience. Based on product failure-related issues, our care team @BLUETTI_CARE will assist you in resolving them.

@Deano I contacted the tech team and they push a firmware for you, please try to update the firmware to check if the problem can be solved.

Hi Thank you for getting back with a quick response.
Ok I went into the App and saw ‘Firmware Upgrade’ and BMS Version was highlighted in blue

In the ‘Battery Information’ the ‘Check For Update’ button was available for all 4 batteries. Both B300 batteries were on Version v1014.10 and so when I tapped on these a dialog button/info box popped up and stated ‘No new firmware version’
Next I checked the ‘Check For Update’ button for the two new B300s I noticed one was running version v1022.09 whilst the other was running version v1022.08. The prior came back with the same dialog button/info box pops which states ‘No new firmware version’

However the B300s on v1022.08 came back with the following screen

I followed this to the next screen

I followed this instruction and disconnected the other batteries and left the B300s running v1022.08 and this time the above screen was omitted and the firmware update started.
Now then I didn’t expect the following. As the firmware started I heard some sort of ‘pop’ (like a capacitor blowing) and the AC500 and the connected B300s shut down. Following this on starting up the unit the B300s would turn on but the round ‘On’ button was flashing and none of the charge status 5 small green lights were illuminated

Now also on the AC500 all these new following error messages simultaneously came up

Following this I disconnected the now defunct battery and checked all the others and all the cables. I left the defunct B300s turned off for some three hours and then turned it on again and I can confirm it is now a very heavy paper weight and so I will need to arrange a return.
Now then I had started another thread on this forum relating to how many actual B300 batteries can be connected to the AC300 when connecting both B300 & B300s as I was originally given the wrong information as a backer on Indiegogo which stated 2 max when actually Bluetti now states ‘If the b300 is connected first, then to the b300s, AC500 is able to identify six battery packs.’
So as I have a spare B300 I have connected this (in replacement of the now defunct B300S) on the same chain port as the other two B300 in serial, so I now have 3X B300 in total. I then connected the remaining B300s v1022.09 (so no firmware update needed) to the second chain port. All fine and working - except the same original problem presents itself when the unit reaches fully charged between 98% and 100%. At this point I hear again the ‘Alarm’ buzzer/beep every time and the Alarm error code 098.BMS Over Voltage displays in the Alarm screen.
1 AC500
Agggghhh!!! So I’m now one B300s battery down following precisely the firmware update instructions and still have the same issue!
Where do we go from here?
Your assistance is very much appreciated
Kind Regards
Dean

@Deano The error code shows that you may not lock the cable entirely. Could you please check again?

Yes the cable was absolutely locked. I assume you are referring to the new set of error codes?
.001. DAMCU Warning
.054 D-BAT Drained
.081. BMS communication Interrupt
.103.BMS Communication Cable Error
As we know if the cable is not locked the 103 warning comes on instantly along with a warning beep upon boot up without any other code showing. The cable was locked as no code came up as the B300s Firmware update started. It seems the AC500 cannot communicate with the now defunct B300s and due to a fault arising on the circuitry of the defunct B300s so the AC500 displays the 103 error along with the 3 other new error codes! As I mentioned I heard a ‘pop’ sound coming from inside the unit and the one connected B300s battery went dead. Its still dead even after disconnecting then reconnecting it and trying everything else. I did state above I checked all the other cables etc.

Notice the following picture I attached /sent

The battery is now defunct whether it is attached/locked or free standing. The start up round light flashes permanently on the now defunct B300s ( none of the other batteries do this - their start up lights just come on permanent as normal ) Also as mentioned the green row of power lights do not come on. The battery was about 98% fully charged and all 5 green lights were illuminated just prior to the Firmware update attempt, now nothing!
Also as mentioned the original problem exists without the defunct B300s attached. This error relates to the charging of the B300 batteries as opposed to the B300s - It tells you this in the Battery information

Please can to email me at dm@myzupa.com so we can arrange the return of the defunct B300s and then we can continue the original 098. BMS Over Voltage charging issue/discussion here.
Your help is much appreciated
Dean

@Deano Message sent, please check your email.

@Deano Thanks for your detail description. Please connect AC500 and each B300 to check if there is a firmware for an update in 12 hours.

Very strange as I posted an important detailed reply/update here four days ago on Thursday 1st June and checking today Monday 6th June to notice it has vanished without a reply?? The time stamps demonstrate Bluetti Care have been active on this thread just one hour ago???

Have you deleted my update?? I’m re-posting the previous update as I suspect I’m not the only one with this issue that needs investigating.
THE RE-POST
Now then continuing here on the problem of the alarm and original Alarm error code 098.BMS Over Voltage is still an issue. As demonstrated the firmware update was only available to one of the two B300s batteries and rather than fix the 098.BMS Over Voltage issue it just damaged the 1xB300s that was running an earlier BMS firmware.
I have now done some other tests on connecting the remaining 3xB300 and 1XB300s to try and narrow down what is happening for the AC500 to continue to produce the 098.BMS.
I connected the 3xB300 only and used PV to fully charge. Bingo no 098.BMS error code and all good. This is repeatable.

I then connected the 1 xB300s to fully charge on its own without the 3xB300. Again Bingo no 098.BMS error code and all good. This also is repeatable.
1 x B300s
However then as before when the 1 x B300s is connected on the first chain port and the 3 x B300 in series on the second chain port and charge to 98% to 100% it triggers the Alarm error code 098.BMS Over Voltage. As you can see the 098.BMS alarm is only against the 3 x B300 individually but not against the 1 x B300s. There are no issues with the 3xB300 as they work fine with the AC500 without the 1 x B300s connected. But for some reason the two types together trigger the 098.BMS against the 3 X B300 only

This is the exact same repeatable result if 2 x B300 + 2 x B300s are connected, so it is NOT due to 3 x B300 +1 x B300s numerical configuration of battery types
It’s worth noting that the B300s always lags behind the charging of the 3 x B300, so the 3 x B300 will reach 100% whilst the 1 x B300s lags behind at say 95%. It is only when the 1 x B300s reaches 98% to 100% that the 098.BMS alarm triggers against the 3 x B300.
This seems to imply some sort of compatibility issue? Everything works fine but is this safe? The alarm which keeps coming on and off as the unit fluctuates around 98% to 100% is quite disconcerting! Can a firmware update to the AC500 fix this?
Your response and assistance is much appreciated
Dean

@Deano I think I may have done something wrong. Could you please take a photo to show the BMS version of the four batteries? The tech team replied that we can try to upgrade the firmware of B300.

Hi, Thank you for getting back to me.
I have already attached a screen shot of the firmware for the B300 earlier in this thread. I’m conscious that the last firmware update was for one of the two attached B300s which made it defunct. However as requested attached is a photo of the now attached 3 xB300 + 1 x B300s. Please note all the 3 x B300 have the same firmware number 1014.10

Please can you post a thread here when you have released an update
Thanks
Dean

1 Like

@Deano Please try to update the firmware of B300 to 1014.16.

1 Like

Bluetti
I have just attempted as instructed to carry out a firmware update to the 1st of the 3x B300. One battery at a time connected in parallel as instructed via the app. So I disconnected the 1 x B300s and 2 x B300 and left connected the 1 x B300 running firmware 1014.10 as previously mentioned. The app this time did show a firmware update was ready version 1014.16
You will notice I previously aired my concerns in my last post above – Quote ‘I’m conscious that the last firmware update was for one of the two attached B300s which made it defunct’ & ‘Can a firmware update to the AC500 fix this’
So what has been the result of this latest attempt? ANOTHER DEAD DEFUNCT BATTERY!!! This time a B300. I am now two full batteries down! (1xB300s & 1xB300) due to these attempted firmware updates. This is Sooo frustrating as now we will need to arrange a second return with for a B300
Exactly the same thing has happened again as when attempting to update a different version of firmware to one of my B300s. It started the update over Bluetooth and then KLICK! All went dead on the battery

And in-case you mention the error was NOT do to the cable not being connected properly - it was. The only extra bit of information that may be relevant is that the router would have been connected to the AC500 at the time which inevitably was shut-down, however as you know for a firmware upgrade to take place you have to connect to the AC500 via Bluetooth. I also had 4g available on my mobile device. Question/Observation?? If the Wifi/internet gets shut down during a firmware update would this kill the battery? I assumed the firmware upgrade was already downloaded to my handset and ready to transfer via Bluetooth to avoid this but in an attempt to discern what is happening here it is worth mentioning.
So Let’s be clear –These are two different types of batteries B300s + B300 Running two different firmware. Both types of battery if connected separately to the AC500 do not report a fault 098.BMS error. The 098.BMS error triggers on the conditions I have detailed above. So the batteries themselves do not have a problem.
Now I am down to 1 x B300s + 2 x B300 attached to the AC500 for my power source.
1 x B300s is now packed and ready for collection tomorrow via courier and I take it I will now have to pack the extra defunct 1 x B300 and ship back.
With this remaining configuration the 098.BMS error continues and I do not suggest we attempt another firmware update to any of the 3 remaining batteries. Where do we go from here??
.Please can you send me a separate email as before with instructions for return of the B300 (this was not purchased via the Indiegogo as per the B300s but direct via https://bluettipower.co.uk/
Dean

1 Like

@Deano The technician checked the background and it showed that the B300 is being upgraded, but the current status is that the upgrade has not been completed. I suggest you to upgrade again with that battery pack. If your B300 is out of power, please fully charge it separately.

Hi
Thank you for getting back to me.
I agree the B300 (and B300s) firmware upgrade was not completed. However there is a BIG problem with this suggested solution

1. The B300 is NOT out of power. As I have mentioned above it was 100% fully charged moments prior to the attempted firmware upgrade. It had to be for the 098.BMS to trigger. (Same with the B300s) During the upgrade there was a ‘Klick’ and the battery(s) instantly showed No Power. No 5 Green capacity lights illuminated, but a Flashing on/of button showing battery error and all four error codes now displaying in the AC500. It is impossible for a 100% B300s or B300 to go from 100% to 0% in 1 second. The actual battery cells therefore remain fully charged, but the B300 & B300s BMS is not recognising this. In fact AC500 is now not recognising the B300 as even being connected, although as I have mentioned the now defunct B300 still boots up the AC500 (this is because it in reality is fully charged)
  2. You cannot charge a fully charged battery! (As you know to attempt to over-charge a fully charged Lithium Iron Phosphate battery is extremely dangerous.)
  3. I cannot charge the B300 because the AC500 now does not recognise it.
  4. Besides the AC500 I have no other means of even attempting to charge the B300.
  5. Why on both occasions did the upgrade cut out? This needs to be established. I raised this in my previous thread but has not been addressed.
    Quote ‘If the Wifi/internet gets shut down during a firmware update would this kill the battery? I assumed the firmware upgrade was already downloaded to my handset and ready to transfer via Bluetooth to avoid this but in an attempt to discern what is happening here it is worth mentioning.’
  6. All of the above means I cannot attempt again the firmware upgrade. Of course I had already tried but the AC500 does not recognise the battery.
  7. The 098.BMS fault remains and I do not want to attempt to upgrade the firmware on any of my remaining 2x B300 batteries until No 5 above is established otherwise the same thing will happen yet again.
    Here is an uploaded YouTube video demonstrating all of the above
    June 8, 2023 - YouTube
    If you cannot suggest a workable solution to the above then please send me a separate email and I will suggest a solution work-around via email away from this public thread.
    Dean
1 Like

@Deano Please check the latest update as below:
When a B300/B300S is performing a normal upgrade, it should be noted that when the progress displayed on the phone reaches 50%, the machine will make a sound, which is a normal response to cut off the output and input internally and enter the upgrade state. In this case, since your B300/B300S has entered the upgrade process, it will no longer display the power value correctly, but will flash at a fixed frequency to indicate that it is in the upgrade process (during the upgrade process, it will remain in this state. If you disconnect the cable or perform a forced shutdown at this time, the upgrade is not completed, and the B300/B300S will remain in this state until you re-upgrade successfully)
According to your question, during the upgrade process, did you disconnect the cable or perform a forced shutdown before the upgrade was completed because of fear of a safety accident with the opinion that the wrong indicator light was blinking and the state of the power indicator light was abnormal?

I suggest you connect only the one B300 you think is broken and try again, thank you very much for your patience and hope your problem can be solved this way.

Hi – Thank you very much for this more detailed information. I can now confirm I have successfully updated the firmware to all 3 x B300 to the most current v1014.16. This includes the previously thought defunct 1 x B300 which died on me during the initial firmware update attempt. (It’s now been resurrected back to life :slightly_smiling_face:)

To assist anyone else who suffers the same issue here is what I discovered was, (and was not) the problem. The loud “Klick” sound I heard from the battery during the unsuccessful firmware upgrade attempt was NOT the same sound as when as you mentioned… Quote :

‘a B300/B300S is performing a normal upgrade when the progress displayed on the phone reaches 50%, with a normal response to cut off the output and input internally and enter the upgrade state.’

Please note as I expressed many times during the failed firmware upgrade attempt to both the B300s & B300 I did NOT disconnect the cable or preform a forced shutdown in anyway. The batteries just went completely dead and would not be recognised by the AC500 in any way no matter how long you left them connected to the AC500 or attempted an upgrade again.

I can confirm now the failure (and loud ‘Klick’) and dead battery happens in relation to a question I posed earlier above in this thread Quote

‘If the Wifi/internet gets shut down during a firmware update would this kill the battery? I assumed the firmware upgrade was already downloaded to my handset and ready to transfer via Bluetooth to avoid this but in an attempt to discern what is happening here it is worth mentioning.’

Indeed my Wi-Fi router was connected to the AC500 via my home circuit change over switching set-up when the upgrade hit 50% the battery units shut down. However the router and so internet connection by default also got down and so simply could not continue with the firmware update as the firmware update was not downloaded to the App/handset prior to the Bluetooth firmware update transfer. If prior to the firmware update I the user (me) had been instructed to make sure the home Wi-Fi was on a separate circuit as the internet would continually be required during the process the problem would not have occurred. This is due to the firmware update NOT being downloaded fully to the App/handset first, prior to the firmware update cycle via Bluetooth to the AC500.

Likewise as a standard matter of precaution I had my 4g active on my handset so even if the Wi-Fi went down my phones handset would take over. The issue here was that my AC500 + 3x B300 & 2 x B300s is stored in a cupboard under stairs close to my circuit changeover switches, just enough interference to block my 4g signal. Therefore again no internet. It is this which caused the B300 + B300s to mimic a complete dead battery.

With the added helpful information in your last post above coupled with the internet connection requirement the solution was simple. I switched the house mains circuit over from the AC500 to national grid for the firmware upgrade so the router was always on. I also switched data connection on my handset to my second SIM and ensured a full 4g connection. I went back into the App and attempted the Firmware upgrade again and this time it went through smoothly. (No Loud shut off ’Klick’) I hope this post may assist anyone else that comes across this issue.

Now then all that said and done the firmware updates are now successfully updated to the most current versions, The B300 is now working again however it has NOT fixed the original error code and alarm fault 098.BMS error…

I have noticed you have sent me a fresh thread here https://community.bluettipower.com/t/erroe-code-098/13527

so anyone can reading this wanting a resolution to the 098.BMS error can continue here.

Dean

@Deano Thanks for your feedback. The technician contacted you via email.