AC300 with Non-Inverter Portable Generator

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to charge my AC300 using the 30A plug from a non-inverter portable generator? I am looking at purchasing a large non-inverter portable generator to hook up to my transfer switch to cover the few times in the year that I need to support a 240V load. I would like to charge the AC300 using the generator when the power outage is longer than what my 2 B300 batteries can last. I have looked into the large inverter generators that have a low THD (less than the 3% required by the AC300) and can supply the 240V but they are not certified in Canada. I would prefer not to buy a small inverter generator simply to recharge the AC300. One option that seems to pop up is to put together an inexpensive system equivalent to the AC300 to clean-up the power on the portable generator. Another seems to charge the batteries directly. I would appreciate any help to find a simple and inexpensive solution to charging my AC300.

1 Like

I am curious as well. I have the AC300 as well, and also have a 4kw duel fuel Campion generator…not inverter.

I did read several Google posts about non-inverter generators and concluded to not worry about lack of clean energy rating. Hope they are not wrong. Curious what others say here.

I don’t have a AC300, but you asked for suggestions. This is something I did a while back for a smaller DIY setup when used with a non-inverter generator. You’ll probably want to scale it up both in watts and volts. I bought a $40 AC-DC converter, basically 120v to 12v cig adapter that output 180w at 12v. It was pretty clean even when on the non-inverter generator. It hasn’t failed yet though I don’t use it often, but I’d rather risk the $40 converter than the rest of the system.
Hope that helps in some way.
Richard.

Thanks DrewLoker for replying. The non-inverter generator that I am looking at using is a large 8000W tri-fuel Champion generator. This generator does have an Automatic Voltage Regulator as part of its circuitry. So that relieves a little of my worry about attaching it to my AC300. Options that I am looking at right now should it not work is to purchase either a used UPS (excessups.com) or an audio power conditioner. Both are variations on the AC300.

Thanks Richard for your thoughts. May I ask what you did with the 12V power? Did you convert it back to AC or did your system use it as is?

Hmm. Interesting idea to use a UPS. I have quite a few around the house, although not sure of the specs to do that. How big of a UPS would be needed?

I tried a couple of things with it, including using the 12v directly (I have a number of power stations that will take 12v), but also, yes, I did use a small, cheap inverter to get it back to AC. I tested this with my EB150 and it worked fine.
If you google ac-dc converter, and follow that by the voltage and watts you want, you should find a lot of options. For example, you might use “ac-dc converter 48v 400w”. You can do the same search on amazon. You’ll find results from $35 and up (way up in some cases). The big questions is how clean are they when dealing with the non-inverter generator.
I’m probably going to get a 48v 400w (or something similar) just in case, just haven’t gotten around to it yet. If I do, and it’s clean, I’ll post back. Hopefully if anyone else tries something similar, they’ll also post.

Depending on what you’re doing, a UPS may not work. I have two small APC UPS, 600VA, model BE600M1, and neither of them would work with my non-inverter generator. They considered it too dirty and went on battery mode. The generator is a Champion 76533 4750/3800-Watt Dual Fuel.

Updated: I just looked at my notes from when I tested this. I think once I put the generator under a small load (600w heater), the UPS’s worked, so I guess the generators power smooths out some under load.

1 Like

The UPSs that I have been at at double conversion meaning that they convert from AC to DC and back to AC. The new ones also have a setting that can be called “generator-friendly” or “less-sensitive” which means they might tolerate the dirtier power from the generator (I guess more people are considering doing something like this that the UPS companies are taking notice). I’m not sure how many used ones are out there that would have the capability to reduce their sensitivity. But you got me thinking Richard about the 12V…I am not currently using the solar charging capability of my AC300. The manual says that it is capable of being charged by a 12V lead acid battery through the solar charging port. I am going to ask Bluetti support what are the specs on this charging method because maybe I can hook up a 2400W DC power supply (computer power supply or maybe even a car battery charger) to the solar charger and get 2400W of DC from my generator.

Sounds like I need to check into the new UPS’s, thanks.

I have a AC200MAX and while it does charge at 12v, it’s pretty slow. The MPPT really seems to like higher voltages, but I’ve also only spent a short time working with it so far.
If you’ve already got the PS, it’s definitely worth a shot.

Sorry for the long delay in updating this. I have talked to Bluetti support and have received a response from the technical staff. The DC charging of the AC300 is limited when it is not solar panels.

“AC300 supports both 12V/24V DC charging via DC1/DC2 ports, but the current is limited to 8A MAX for each DC port. And 8A MAX for 48V DC charging.”

So a computer power supply should work but not a big one. It would probably be simpler to go with the T500 charger from Bluetti as it it their product and should work directly out of the box.

What about an AC to DC brick from say a laptop…or similar device? I have a drawer full of chargers I have kept when the old legacy device died and all that was left of value was the charger. I am not at the drawer to check others, but one I have with me now is an AC Charger that is DC out = 19v/4.74a, 90w max.

My guess is that would work but for me the 90W would take quite a while to charge my 2 BC300 batteries.

I have a class c motorhome with an Onan 4000 watt onboard generator, I can charge my AC300 (2- b300 batteries) with a load on the generator. An electric heater at 1000 watts works well. This is charging at 15 amps, 1800 watts.
It also charged with the microwave on until the micro stopped. If you know someone with a generator then you can test different scenarios.