AC300 charged by generator

Greg, thanks, this is very helpful and encouraging too. Will do as instructed, hope this solves the problem.

We just had power restored for two hours, and I was able to confirm that the device takes power from the wall as it should. I first thought it was faulty. No it’s clear this is related to generator.

I did connect via BT first, but then set up WiFi. Will try turning it off to check if this may trigger FW update. Thanks

By way of an update, I managed to upgrade the firmware to DSP Version 4036.05, @Wuastr , @Holscher thank you very much for your help.

This hasn’t solved the problem though - the AC300 still doesn’t like my generator. I’m not sure whether this is a pure sine wave issue. All my devices and equipment at home work well, even gas boiler (it won’t start directly from AC300, will need to play with neutral and ground). AC300 seems to be very picky here. The instruction manual says that I can charge it using all types of generators - gas, propane or diesel, although pire sine wave output ones are recommended.

Are there any workarounds to still use my generator for charging? E.g., a charging brick mentioned above? Or some charger mimicking the supply from PV? I’m still learning the cables and contacts related to the device, would be very thankful for any help and ideas.

I see you have 222 volts. The AC300 I have is a 230 volt unit. It will accept though the 240 volts my generator outputs. What kind of generator model do you have?
My workarounds before the firmware was the charging brick. The brick inputs DC directly into a B300 from the generator 220 volt AC. It isn’t picky but it is only about 400 watts. Better then nothing.

and later a Bronson SRG-3000 voltage stabilizer. This cleans up any AC voltage and is available in Europe online direct from Bronson.

Both worked.

1 Like

222V is the input from my generator (GLENDALE GP7500L-GEE), it may vary slightly. We have 220V as standard in Ukraine, and the manual says the range is quite wide, so this should be ok:

Voltage limit:
85-110VAC/JP(100VAC),102-132VAC/US(120VAC), 207-253VAC/EU/UK/AU.
Frequency limit: 47Hz-53Hz(50Hz),57Hz-63Hz(60Hz).

Thank you for the ideas on the brick. I’m looking for something similar. So far found a reasonably priced 720W charger, just need to make sure it accepts AC from my generator.

Looks like more powerful bricks are so expensive that I’d rather check inverter generators for the purpose. Hoping they charge the AC300, that is.

Regarding voltage stabilizer - I have such installed in my home. AC300 charges neither when input comes directly from the generator socket, nor from any socket in my home where current goes via AVR.

@Oleksiy Bummer.
The generator is Not an inverter type from the picture. Here is where I bought the Poweroak Bluetti brick C400.

Bluetti Support (Mike at PowerOak) wrote to me +/- 5 volts. I think that was the spec before the firmware upgrade since now it takes +10 volts from my generator. With the Bronson voltage stabilizer I sometimes had to wait 5 to 10 minutes before it would accept.
Here is what Mike wrote:

Just know that with an inverter generator it should now work according to all my experience and feedback from others.

@Wuastr Thank you, it’s clear now I lack pure sine wave in the equation, both voltage and frequency seem to be within the limits. Will look for bricks that are not that picky.

What about your your PowerOak 400W brick - did it charge the AC300 before the FW upgrade for you?

@Oleksiy Yes. My workaround before the firmware was the charging brick. The brick inputs DC directly into a B300 from the generator 220 volt AC. The brick isn’t picky about voltage, but it is only about 400 watts.
You are completely bypassing the AC300 with a brick. You could have one for every B300.

Greg

1 Like

Getting back to the subject, I intend to check if the AC300 charges using an invertor type generator, borrowing one from my friend later this week.

But my main option is using a brick or some AC to DC charger / converter. @Wuastr , what connector do you have in your Fuyuang brick, DC7909? I haven’t found anything similar locally, so may have to attach connectors myself.

Chargers with alligator clips are availalbe, like this one - ✔ Купити Зарядний пристрій для акумуляторів LiFePO4 72V (87.6V)-10A-720W від "Енерго Партнер". I think, I could attach MC4 connectors to it to feed into the solar input of AC300 via the multifunctional DC charging cable supplied. The charging cable even allows for two such connections concurrently, so I could boost charging rate to about 1400 kW using two bricks like above. Does it make sense or there are some flaws in this solution?

@olesksiy I ordered the PowerOak/ Bluetti C400 which has the correct connection for the B300.

DC 8mm DC7909 7.9 x 5.5mm

https://poweroak.de/de/connectivity/10086-poweroak-bluetti-c500-500w-charger-8719324080804.html

Here is something I found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B084WYNP97/ref=sspa_dk_detail_4?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B084WYNP97&pd_rd_w=N7OOM&content-id=amzn1.sym.f63cb723-41a5-4d60-97aa-9969c9663073&pf_rd_p=f63cb723-41a5-4d60-97aa-9969c9663073&pf_rd_r=FV7CNVP3YNES98ZHJXXN&pd_rd_wg=bJQrg&pd_rd_r=8e5c4dcf-266c-41ca-b541-7a5f95eca7e4&s=diy&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9kZXRhaWw

https://www.amazon.de/-/en/BLUETTI-Charging-Connector-Compatible-Powerstation/dp/B0B3J8FC76

Greg

1 Like

The DC charging 72 volt voltage appears to be too high and 10 amp current also. The BC300 accepts 8 amps at 58.8 (60) volts. Without researching I do know if the Bluetti B300 will ignore the higher voltage or be damaged.

1 Like

@Wuastr since this brick has only alligator clips, I would have to attach a suitable connector anyways. So I’d rather go with MC4 to connect it directly to AC300 via solar input. The latter supports up 150V / 12A, so should work. Moreover, it can take two such bricks concurrently.

On the B300 side of things, I’m about to set up a charger based on an AC to DC converter used to power LED lamps and stuff. If it works, this would be the chepest way available, https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0777MH681/?coliid=I1XCNODB9PKCOK&colid=13TTHV8WDQLRL&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it&th=1. They sell for about EUR 28 locally, albeit without voltage regulator, which I don’t need - I want all them 480W. This one could be used for charging AC300 via solar input too, I suppose.

All or any of these solutions may not take power from my gasoline generator - this is still to be verified.

Using DC input on AC300 is a good idea. I reserved my input for solar, which in retrospect is not needed if there is no sun and you need the generator! My four panels are covered with snow right now.
I suspect those solutions you mentioned would have no issues with your generator AC.

Greg

1 Like

========================================================================

Hi,

I live in France ( Voltage 230 / 50 Hz), Actually GRID Voltage varies 232.7 Volts to 234 volts. and Frequency 49.96 to 49.98 Hz.
I bought an Inverter 3200Watts Max generator REDSTONE RD4000i (Inverter DC/AC HF-THD 3%).

I configure my AC300 in Mode: “UPS mode Enable”.
I start my generator and wait 3 minutes for preheating.
I use the same power cable ( On CP1 connector) taht the GRID cable to connect my generator (Switch sources).
I limited the amperage to 6 amps. that is to say: 1200 Watts in 232 Volts.
On the lcd display I visualize (Grid details colored " Yellow" change ) that I have a small voltage fluctuation that varies from 232 volts to 233.5 volts.
The frequency also varies from 49,7 Hz to 50,04 Hz, the frequency moves all the time and quickly between 49.8 Hz - 50.04 Hz

After 20, 30 secondes, i hear the relay clicking, and the LCD, display the Power delivered in watts , but it stop and sometimes it start good.
The Bluetti AC300 triggers the charging from time to time and stops randomly.
Otherwise,when it charges between 1180 Watts and 1205 Watts not stable.
The power in Watts fluctuates.

My question: What are the allowed fluctuation values in Hz for an inverter generator?
Why the AC300 don’t work normaly with my generator Inverter " pure sinusoidale"
I have already read that the tension must varied + / - 5 Volts, in my case, the voltage is good.

Is it necessary a special cable,?
what is the charging brick ?

I have two more questions:
1- Maybe the frequency needs to be more stable?
2 - The Inverter generator fluctuates too much in power +/- 50 Watts?
A possibility to solve the problem:
I just saw that there are regulator boxes for generator. I will try to add one between my generator and the AC input - CP1.

at the output of the AVR generator.

My Generator Inverter this below:

Thank you for all your help.

Hi.
Once I upgraded the firmware the AC300 accepted my generator output. I did not need the voltage regulator anymore. The voltage did not matter so much +/- 10 volts. but it does need to be an inverter type output.
What is your firmware version?
It needs to be 4036.05 or better.

A brick is a DC voltage converter and plugs into the DC input of either the AC300 or B300. It can be used if you have a non-inverter type generator AC output since it converts to clean DC voltage.

Just a thought. Is your AC300 set to whatever country you’re in (voltage and frequency)?
Another thought, are you using the correct input port of the AC300? (You can’t charge it through any of the output ports.)

I don’t get the idea of buying a generator to charge the batteries of a Bluetti or whatever brand.
1- I imagine you could buy a whole lot of solar panels for the price of a genny and gas, and use the Bluetti as it’s made for. With enough panels you could charge it to 100% in a day. Even on cloudy days I still get 200-400 watts from my 1200 watt panel arrays. A kill-a-watt meter shows my Fridge draws 1.056 kilowatts per 24 hours, (average 44 watts per hour). I could still manage during a blackout and bad weather if I unplugged everything but the Fridge.
2- It’s not real efficient to convert gasoline into electricity to charge a battery to run an appliance, as opposed to just using the generator directly plugged into appliances. I used to live in hurricane country, and running an Inverter generator nonstop 24/7 for 3 or 4 days to keep the Fridge going was just SOP after a hurricane. (We’d rigged a gas line from a large gas caddy to the gas cap of the generator. A 15 gallon container supplied all the gas we needed, (about +3 gallons per day).

Here is how to get the idea of using a generator to charge your Bluetti…You are in a hurricane and are using your Bluetti product for back up power. The Bluetti battery is now in need of charge and surprisingly there is not sufficient sun (since it is stormy) to produce solar power for a re-charge. Secondly for a back up power and recharge situation, a generator is far more cost effective than a like amount of solar power. A lot of users utilize these devices for backup power and only need a method of recharge infrequently.

1 Like

Hi Wuastr,
thanks for you answer. My Bluetti AC300 is up to date but my problem still there.

Picture 1: My Firmwares
Picture 2 : My setup for start with Generator Inverter
Picture 3: When my generator inverter was connected, perhaps it start, but no long time.
Picture 4: When Grid France AC 230 / 50 Hz was connected

Do you have the email Bluetti service maintenance ? i want to write them.

Thanks for your help

@Jean-pascal Please shoot an email to @BLUETTI support… service@bluettipower.com Include all these details along with your serial number for the unit and order number and someone will get in touch with you promptly.