AC200P High overhead usage drops by 10% overnight with nothing on

Agreed, in if it were a little off it would be one thing, but a extra 10 w is crazy

Regards,
Ben

1 Like

Interesting. I believe mine is ECO on.

I will go try eco mode on and take new readings.

Left my unit on doing nothing for a couple of days just to see if the power drop is along what would happen if it is 16 W.

Did send in a email to service@bluetti.com so see if they know what’s going on or have a response

Regards,

Ben

1 Like

Eco mode on or off has no effect on standby draw real tim. It shuts the machine completely off after a set number of hours of no output demand.

1 Like

Ok, so I don’t know what to say at this point other than I dont know weather I trust the readings on the screen.

So Here are pictures I took Jan 09 around 7:47 PM. I had charged via 12 volt to 100%. Notitec the clock was off and set it

You can see I got readings of .5 and .2 So I didn’t know if it needed to settle to get the readings to I turned it off and waited till Jan 10 10:46 am and recorded this after turning it on.
At no point did I turn on DC or AC, just turned on the power and had nothing connected

Readings 100% 53V 0.0 amp Cells show 3.31

At 12:39 pm -
Reading 95% 53V 0.1 amp cell 3.31

At 4:20 pm
Reading 94% 53.1V 0.1 amp cell 3.31

At 5:31 pm
Reading 94% 53.1V 0.1A cells 7-10 reading 3.32V the rest reading 3.31V

I did not and still have not turned off the unit

So, as of this time I don’t know what to make of this. The battery was a little cold when i turned it on so that may explain some, but to be honest, I just don’t know

Regards,
Ben

1 Like

Your battery was showing 46 to 50 degrees during the period of time you were showing. Was the temp really in that range? If so the cold may be having a substantial effect on the results. I am down in SW Florida and anything less than 75 degrees is cold here so I have only taken my reading around 70 to 74.

Not encouraging to see

Just a update, I provided all info and link to thread to service after they asked for some details

Have not heard back for a few days. will keep you updated

Regards,
Ben

1 Like

So was the actual temp 46 to 50 degrees when you were performing the tests? That may have some effect on your results vs mine (I am in Southern Florida with normal room temps). I have seen some issues with units reading a temp that is about 2o degrees lower than actual so just curious if that is your case or you did in fact have 46 to 50 degree conditions.

Yes,

Testing the unit in my car outside in New Jersey.

I would expect slightly different results as well based on temp, not that much.
Either the unit is reporting and drawing a large amount doing nothing, or its reporting that it is erroneously.

The current test I have been doing it I am leaving it on too see it it does discharge in about 5 days instead of 10
Hopefully this might all be a reading issue, but than can be resolved

Regards,
Ben

1 Like

Here are my readings in the same order. AC200P, received on 12/22/2020. Fully charged at that time and only tested to see that the connectors (AC and USB) had power. At start up today battery was 99%. As I turned dc and ac power on and off several times checking and taking images it dropped to 98%.

I found it interesting that that the AC and DC on value was the same as only the AC on; I even double checked that.

1 Like

I really don’t know what’s going, on, but as estimated mine discharged in about 5 days

I expect overhead from DC regulation and AC inverter when they are on and device in use, but when I turn them off the unit draining this fast just to be on is way too much. If the unit could be kept charged from solar/Dc/AC when off, that would be ok, but as you have to have the power on even to charge the unit the overhead is just too much.

Don’t know if this is a improper setup or a defect, have not heard back from bluetti support after i responded to them for 5 days. Guess I will call next week and see what’s up as this seems unacceptable

Ben

1 Like

I do hope someone at @BLUETTI will address this question. That seems unreasonable loss just to have it powered on especially when the AC200 doesn’t seem to have this issue. Would changing the battery really have this result? That nd the inverter are the only things that changed as I understand it.

My results were taken straight from the display and I have not performed a “turn the AC200 on with no other functions on” and let it run to empty. After reading through these results, though I do wonder one thing. Why would a person want to leave the AC200 on with nothing in opeation? Isn’t that leaving your car key in the “on” position and seeing how long it takes to drain the battery without powering anything? What would the real world use for doing that be? I understand that the high overhead is contributing to slightly lower efficiency while operating low wattage loads.

1 Like

I think some folks want to keep them on for two reasons. First, power on demand. They might not be using any power while sleeping, but when they wake up they just want to flip the light switch or turn on the coffee maker and not have to turn on the AC200, and then turn on the DC or AC, and when they’re done crapping or whatever they’re doing in the middle of the night, then have to turn the unit off again. Especially if they are storing their unit in the back of their rig that might require an outdoor walk-around to access the AC200. Second, I think some folks want to leave it on so that it starts charging automatically when the sun comes up. They might even be away for a few days and want to return to a topped-off unit.

1 Like

Thank you Mark for the input. I had not seen any reviews that touched on this consideration until a few minutes ago…HOBOTECH I think made a comment towards this by suggesting try to charge as many devices via DC as possible because of the degradation. So I guess the ol adage aplies…use it or lose it. Less of an issue and more an expectation.

The not wanting to walk outside to turn on the AC200 when crapping in the middle of the night makes sense. But if I were installing the AC200 in that way, I would also include a house battery with built in converter and charger to handle all those small load times when turning the AC200 on and off would be less than convenient.

As I understand, as soon as charging current is detected at the DC in port, the machine turns on automatically to charge. Here is the statement from the operators manual regarding charging: "●Plug and play charging: it will start charging automatically after connecting the solar panel to the product even it is off status." What is not addressed is will the AC200 go into standy after charging is completed.

But…(and it is a big butt)…In the manual it states that there is a "STANDBY MODE" . If you do a long 2 second press the AC200 shuts off completely. If you do a "short" press as stated in the manual you enter standby mode. Maybe, just maybe is you enter the standby mode the standby battery drain minimizes itself and there is no longer an issue of excessive power consumption while not being used. Maybe there is actually a “standby” mode built into the AC200 just to solve this issue all along. We just need someone to test that out that has time and patience. Below is the actual text from the AC200 operators manual regarding entering standby operation:

"3. Startup and shutdown operation
(1) short press the power button, the indicator light is on, and the machine is in
standby mode."

1 Like

I’ll run a another parasitic test to zero. But I think Standby Mode just means the unit is on with DC and AC both off. I think the 2 second hold down bit for shutting down is just an error in the manual. Quick push, 2 second push…they both seem to do the same thing…shut the thing down. Whoops, this board apparently doesn’t allow videos.

Scott, Ben, everyone: Egg on face time. And apologies to all with a capital A. When I went back and looked at my spreadsheet from November, I screwed up with the column alignment! The 1% per hour loss was the overhead with AC on, no load. Forget everything I said and I’m deleting my posts so as not to confuse future readers. I tell you I’m doing so many test on so many units and have so many screenshots, it’s hard to keep things straight sometimes. I am going to continue with the standby parasitic test however. Probably will be at least a week for results. Again, very sorry about the confusion.

3 Likes

No worries.

I appreciate all data points, that’s why when I started this thread I did not know what the expectations were as far as results. As stated I expect well regulated ports to have overhead, but this standby power just seems wrong to me

Regards,

Ben

1 Like