Ac200max reverse polarity of TT-30 Socket

It appears that some of the AC200Max have a reverse polarity of the TT-30 socket (the RV socket).
jehugarcia has a youtube video on it. Bluetti's AC200Max Polarity Issue - How to check if you are affected - YouTube

I just received my AC200 max and I checked mine like the video and my TT-30 socket does have a reverse polarity. A number of the people in the comment section also had this situation.

How dangerous is this? How concerned should I be?

Is there a quick fix?

2 Likes

This is a growing mess…. As a owner of the EP500, several reports in comments on YT, the same problem with EP500! Imagine shipping this thing back?! This week, I have a certified power engineer will check our EP500 out.

This was found when using the EP500 in offline UPS mode. It supports this feature. Supposed to <20ms switch to inverter (which is a slow switch). Anyway, in pass through from commercial power (offline) is where this shows up.

What the others have said: Bluetti has the amateur owner open the EP500 up and re-wire per specific Bluetti instructions. Warranty still stays in force.

The video notes this was a common issue, including one of Bluetti main “competitors” who they suggest must be using the same contract manufacturer in CCP China.

You Tuber Jehu Garcia posted a video about the way to perform a DIY fix for this that is actually very simple. Bluetti has stated publicly that people who are comfortable with doing this fix exactly as Mr. Garcia describes, AND not messing with anything else inside of the unit while it is open, can do so and not void the warranty.

For those who are not comfortable doing this, the unit can be shipped to their location in Las Vegas where it will be fixed and returned, but that could be a turnaround of a couple weeks. In reality, this is not a true 30 amp socket (it’s about 18+ amps which makes sense with a 2200W max sustained output) and it does not carry any more current than the other 5-20 ports out of the AC inverter, so a workaround would be to use an adapter in one of the 5-20 ports to accept a TT-30 plug, and since the 5-20 ports are wired correctly, this would take care of it. Of course, the whole thing should work correctly, so if that is important you have two options – the “approved” DIY Jehu Garcia fix or sending the unit to Vegas.

2 Likes

Hi TomC,

Welcome to our community.
We’re sorry for this problem. If your unit has reverse polarity of TT-30 socket problem, please contact with our customer service and send it back to us. We’ll fix and return it to you.

Ziggy29, thanks for your post. I’m new to all this so forgive me if this is a dumb question.
Are you saying, all I need to do to hook up to a RV is to use an adapter in one of the AC outlet and I would have the same results as if I had used the TT-30 socket?

If that’s the case, that is surely a simple work around.

I asked Hobotech about this issue and here is his reply"There is no “issue” with the wires being reversed on the TT-30. All solar generators (and most inverter gas generators) are floating neutral with no ground. Both wires coming from the inverter act as “hot” and since the current alternates at 60hz on both leads it makes zero difference the color of the wires. Bluetti will be releasing a video showing this soon."

1 Like

Admin,

Hobotech said Bluetti would be releasing a video showing that the reverse polarity of the TT-30 socket is not an issue.
Do you know when and where that video will be posted?

1 Like

Hi TomC,

We have released the video. Here is the link: AC200MAX Reversed Polarity Safety Test | BLUETTI Official - YouTube. Please kindly check.

3 Likes

Will the new shipments of the AC200MAX have the polarity switched back? After what order # can we assume the issue is resolved?

You should be tell by using a meter to measure. The flip was between the hot and neutral. Facing the plug, you would want the measure the voltage between the top plug (ground) and the left (got), and it should measure 110V. That means your is not reversed. If the voltage between top and right side is 110V instead then your is reversed.

jbuhd, watch the video in the post above from Bluetti Admin. There is no issue with the reverse polarity. In the video they demonstrate that everything is fine.

As Hobotech stated - There is no “issue” with the wires being reversed on the TT-30. All solar generators (and most inverter gas generators) are floating neutral with no ground. Both wires coming from the inverter act as “hot” and since the current alternates at 60hz on both leads it makes zero difference the color of the wires. Bluetti will be releasing a video showing this soon."

I understand the concept that hot and neutral alternates since it is AC after all. I’ve read you run the risk of shock with certain appliances, though rare, with reversed polarity.

Anyways, I was just wondering if Bluetti was switching it back going forward. From the responses, it almost seems they aren’t and are just letting it go, is that correct? I’m only speaking of newly manufactured units going forward, by the way. Nevermind the ones that already went out. I would’ve thought it was just a matter of telling their manufacturer, “hey, switch these 2 wires.”

@jbuhd Hi jbuhd,

Welcome to our community.
Some of AC200MAX are reverse polarity, and some are right. But please don’t worry, we have tested and the reverse polarity won’t affect its function. The majority of new shipments are correct. Please rest assure that you can send it back if you can not bear with it.

@BLUETTI

I just received my AC200MAX today and I confirmed with a multimeter that I have one of the units with reversed polarity.

I’ve seen someone say on this forum that one can open up the unit and switch the wiring themselves (like jehugarcia video) and Bluetti would still honor the warranty. Is this still true?

I’m confident in my abilities and of course I wouldn’t touch anything else.

Hi @jbuhd,

Yes, we will honor the warranty.