AC200L : cycles question

A question for @BLUETTI - I’m curious seeing the comparison chart of AC200L vs earlier models. Even though the unit is far supperior in all aspects (UPS / direct pass through + cloud access), I’m curious why the cells cycle count was reviewed to 3000 vs 3500 cycles.

Probably because the earlier guesses on cycle counts were coming up a little less than expected. I have yet to hear anyong having a battery that has degraded from excessive cycle counts and is unusable. Have heard several that the batteries have gone “bad” though.

2 Likes

Makes sense. My question was more out of curiosity regarding the protocol that led to this reviewed figure. Like if there is a stress test similar to those benchmark, like demonstrated by ikea on their chairs being pressed over and over by a mechanical arm to test the mean time before failure of their furniture. It would be 125 days of battery discharge alone, not factoring in the part where batteries get recharged, and the current intensity at which it happens. Hence my curiosity. Pylontech, for similar LFP, announces 6000 cycles. I guess, on top of the chemistry, some play it safe (low amps charging), other are more realistic.

Now speaking of being realistic, I do the math, and 3000 cycles in an AC200L with a 2kWh battery equals 6000kWh. That’s the average yearly electricity consumption of a house (heating excluded).

Even though I trust the inverters are of high quality, the portable nature of the device makes me think it’s more than unlikely that the batteries will ever reach their cycle count :slight_smile:

When working with Victron inverters, the expected lifespan of their inverters was about 10 years as a general figure, probably for sales and overall lifespan cost calculation. A high quality residential inverter of 2.4kW output (say like the Multiplus II 3000kVA) would have an expected lifespan based on the following formula:
2400W at 50% load ×5 hours/day × 365 days/year × 10 years = 21,900kWh

That would be 3 to 4 times the lifespan of AC200L’s batteries, without factoring in the solar input. Under similar conditions as the Multiplus II 3000, I’m confident to think that 10 years, producing between 1x and 6x it’s max MPPT solar input (1200W), the inverter can derive up to, theoretically, about 11.000kWh. Add 6.000kWh from solar and we’re close to the figure of top-ranking residential inverters.

Well, I’m waffling on here.

1 Like

I have no clue, but my guess is they base it on whatever the manufacturer of the batteries claim. So it’s possible they source the batteries from someone else now, or they have changed their specs.

2 Likes

I suspect the lower cycle calculation on the 200L has to do with the
higher charge rate capability.

2 Likes

@Derceto
The cycle life of lithium iron phosphate batteries is affected by the discharge multiplier.
Discharge rate refers to the ratio of the amount of electricity released by the battery per unit of time, usually expressed as C rate. Higher discharge rate will lead to more intense chemical reaction inside the battery, which may accelerate the aging process of the battery and reduce the cycle life.

3 Likes