AC200 permently in steel garage

I’m looking to power my new 30x30 steel garage with solar and batteries. Would the AC200 survive being in an building with no insulation and no climate control? I live in NW Ohio so we get cold winters and hot summers. I’m looking for something I can leave in there and not lug back and forth between the house.

1 Like

Here’s a Youtube channel video with a similar outdoor building using a Bluetti AC200Max. Your area might be colder.

2 Likes

Check out the new Bluetti NA batteries that uses sodium instead of lithium. They can operate in very cold temperatures.

Hi @PV_GARZA,

Welcome to our community.
The operating usage temperature of AC200MAX is -4-104F (-20-40℃). So if your area is a little special, as @Raymondjram said, our Na300 is a good choice for you.

2 Likes

Thanks everyone for the replies. I may hold off until the new units with NA batteries are released. Is there an ETA?

@PV_GARZA in all honesty… From what I’ve heard… it’s going to be a good while before the NA units will be ready for production. @BLUETTI can verify if what I heard was correct or not…

I have a 20x40 pole barn here in Michigan (so very similar conditions as yours) and use my ac200 in it all the time in the winter. Now I definitely wouldn’t recommend STORING it in there when not in use tho. I usually will keep it in my house charged up and take it out there as needed. In my situation, when running appliances, the internals have kept it warm enough to run properly without fear of damaging anything. So in my opinion, as long as you don’t let that arctic wind hitting the unit… it should have no problem in your building. Just bring it inside your heated house or with you when you’re done.

The newly released bluetti cart is an AWESOME accessory to have as well!! Haha

BLUETTI Trolley Cart for Solar Generator AC300/AC200MAX/B230/B300/AC200P/EB200/EB70/EB55/EB240/EB150, Hand Truck Foldable for Easy Storage, Universal Wheels with 330 lb Weight Capacity https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09GXDJ9ZB/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_i_GR5FDH6D6T8X1C7YK4XD

You could build something like the van-life family in the video below (probably simpler if you aren’t trying to also make it portable). Short version: Build a heated battery box that turns on and off based on current temperature. It’s powered by the battery itself.

4 Likes

Very cool idea. Thanks for the share

I have an AC200P that I keep in a rubber box with 1” blue foam insulation around the lower half, and 2” blue foam on top— it loses heat from the top mostly. I have a car battery insulator/warmer around part of the bottom but that is, honestly, overkill from before I figured out where I was losing the heat from. Mine has been working great since it’s nice and toasty in there. I do keep the lid off the box, so there is plenty of ventilation.

I live in MN. Please confirm low temp range for Discharging the AC200. I thought it was 32 - 104F.

1 Like

Looks like you are talking about the AC200P, it uses Lifep04 battery cells. The original AC200 used Lithium Ion cells. The newer P version of the AC200 can discharge below freezing, but won’t charge when below freezing. The original AC200 can charge and discharge below freezing.

You want to store batteries in a mild climate, around 60 F is ideal. Low / high temps will shorten the life of any battery using lithium.

1 Like

Adding to @Emax ’s info, the AC500 uses B300S batteries that have a hearing element built in to ensure low temp operation.

Edit: B300S needs either AC in or PV in (direct, or via AC500) to operate its heating element, confirmation from Bluetti:

1 Like

How far below freezing can AC200 discharge? Do you happen to know the degrees? Bluetti can you help?

1 Like

That sounds great! I’ll get the 300S when I upgrade.

1 Like

just avoid a misunderstanding - B300S only works with AC500, not with the AC200 family. The B300 (not the -S variation) can work with AC300 and the new AC200L. Careful here, product codes can be confusing with those suffix letters.

about the AC200 series… there are a few variations available, the latest is AC200L. It has a better power input system, as it can pull directly from the grid without a DC brick, and adds pass through on top of that (it can re-route grid power straight to the loads without using its inverter or charge controller); for instance AC200Max (intermediate), AC200P (basic) both require a DC brick. I read the DC brick has caused a few issues based on other forum member’s experiences. The new AC200L (range topping) seems like the best all-in-one, at least on paper. I couldn’t try it myself though.

With this in mind, supposing you’d go for that new AC200L, I see the following in the Q&A section on the store page:

Ok, there’s also the same info for the older AC200P (baseline model):

Store link here.

1 Like

The B300S will work with a AC200Max, you just need to use a B230 / B300 battery cable. The heating element will not function though.

Watch out for condensation. With cold weather, you may need to use a dehumidifier or move the unit to a place that is heated. Condensation can harm the electronics and battery.

1 Like

It happen to a relative, with a different brand (Victron). The unit is certified for humid conditions (garden shack, boat, etc.) But in that case it’s necessary to keep the device on 24/7, according to that brand, the idle power consumption is enough to keep some heat in the box itself. The relative did shutdown the unit every night. Condensation / dew buildup caused a short.

I wonder how much running an AC200MAX/L would keep it safe in that scenario… @BLUETTI_CARE might have a more accurate suggestion. There’s also the AC60 + B80, IP66. I’ve seen a video where it was battered by heavy rain, and kept performing nicely. Seems water tight. Not sure it’s not vulnerable to condensation.

The “trick”, it seems, is to connect solar panels on the B300S’ DC input if connecting the DC power brick isn’t an option. I understand it needs 400W to operate the heating element and can’t rely on its own battery to start the process. Egg vs chicken scenario it seems. I’d love to experiment with that, bit short on time these days though :frowning_face:
Moreover, given the sky right now, it’s likely to take at least 6 panels in parallel to reach 400W… :slight_smile:

1 Like