AC180 vs EB240 and AC200P vs AC200Max

Hello all,

I’m visiting a friend who’s already equipped with Bluetti. His devices are way to heavy and require a separate battery, which is too cumbersome and heavy for me. I find the concept very interesting though, especially with built-in batteries and see some potential uses for myself, however, I’m unable to properly identify the added value of the following pairs when comparing the devices:

• AC180 vs EB240
  • AC200P vs AC200Max

The first pair, AC180/EB240, makes me wonder, for similar range of power and capacity, and similar solar input, what added value justifies the price gap? EB looks more portable, similarly capable and more suitable for transportation. Better capacity and less power for EB, the opposite for AC makes me wonder, too, given the price of batteries, why is the larger capacity less expensive? I would have naturally assumed to opposite.

The second pair, AC200P vs AC200Max looks quite similar. Max appears to me to be an upgrade of 200P, but with a price tag that seems to proportionally add less value.

Lastly, comparing AC180 to AC200P raises an eyebrow considering the ongoig sale (100eur difference between them). What criteria am I missing that would play in favor of AC180? It has much weaker solar input*, lower capacity, smaller invertor,

• NB I mean “weaker” in the sense that you must manage to cram 500 Watts within 60V, while 200P makes its 700W more versatile in terms of wiring with its range up to 150V. I can’t think of another criteria than weight (10kg less for AC180), but it looses so much utility that it makes AC180 too high in the price range, while its utility is closer, probably in practical situation, to the AC60 which seems more suitable for that segment.

AC200P seems, in my opinion, to have the best of all models:

• large capacity
  • medium inverter power
  • acceptable portability
  • reasonably high solar voltage

Again, newcomer to Bluetti, but in solar for a while now (day job in renewables), hence the questioning :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello @m.briney , I’ve seen your beautiful trip pictures, and mother-kid moment too :heart:
My answer was flagged off-topic so I post here so you can comment, if you please.

May I ask, you have two different Bluetti devices there. Big one on top of a battery seems to be an AC200Max, and the other… AC180?
I’m currently researching the best fit for my first purchase.

Would you mind having a look at my two posts, asking questions about my message?
There is also the question about * Grid enhancement, and whether it’s present on BOTH devices in you app please?
Grid Self-adaption - #3 by Diane

Thanks in advance for your help!

1 Like

Hi @Diane ,

maybe its a bit easier to know what exactly you looking for in order to help you to find the best unit for you.

I do have the EB 150 and 2 of the EB240. Main adavantage of theese units are the pricetag and the capacity. Both units are really portable, not really light but enough to carry it over short disctances. There are some differences to the AC Series. Most of the AC Units offer connectivity through bluetooth or wifi via the bluetti App. So you can update the firmware and see input and output from your smartphone. This is really usefull if you use the Powerstation in some hidden place, like a camper, where you cant look at the display all the time. Another thing thats a bit limitating is the inverter of EB150, EB180, EB240. It “only” can output a 1000W. If your looking for run a coffee Machine, water heater or something similar with it, there is a big chance that it doesnt work. It really depends on yout usecase. On the other hand, a bigger inverter means more self consumption while using it and more “wastet” energy. Another big difference are the batterys that built in to the Units. The EB150, EB180 and EB240 are using “standard” Lithium Batterys while the AC Models are using LifePo4 cells which can do much more cycles and have a greater lifespan.

I hope i can help you with this answer, if you have any more questions feel free to tag me!

greetings

Erik

2 Likes

Thank you very much @Selfmadestrom , I did indeed overlook the chemistry. This explains that. I would then definitively go for an AC model.

Portability that I can handle (25kg is probably my limit), I’m researching a small trailer (caravan) configuration to have a place to work remotely while exploring - or simply have a place to work from during the day as I don’t own a place of my own and do co-housing with roommates (sometimes loud, hard to focus). Portability in that regard is to avoid leaving the machine in a trailer and bring this back in my room during winter as I don’t think it’s wise to leave a device like that in a cold, humid environment.

1 Like

I do have a similar case. Im also using my Bluettis for work remotly. If i need to recharge them, i need them to carry to my Solarpanels. I think the EB240 weights about 20kg. Its heavy but nothing you cant carry.

AC200Max: 28kg
AC200P: 27kg
AC180: 16kg

For my usage (Office Laptop with docking station and big ultra wide Screen) the EB150 with 1500Wh last for about 1 day of full 8 Hours work, maybe even more when i drain it more down. So from a capacity standpoint i would say AC180 is enough for you.

It does have a big enough Solar entry: 500W Max, VOC 12-60VDC/ 10A, passthrough charging (mean you can plug in your Solarpanel and work entirely from the energy thats provided by the panel) and have a inverter where you can also plug in some heavier devices. AC200P is just a tiny bit more expensive. But dont think you need AC200Max.

2 Likes

Thanks @Selfmadestrom it makes sense.
Did you get a chance to try “grid enhancement” ?

Hey @Diane !! Looks like @Selfmadestrom gave you some excellent advice! First thing I would do is to get a killawatt meter (this one will actually record Max/Min to give you a good estimated “Surge” numbers https://a.co/d/3yhRi7k ) and do what we call an “energy audit”, to give yourself an idea on what exactly your use case is going to need. Run your heavy appliances thru it and see what the highest wattage pulled is, which will give you an idea on how large an inverter you’re going to need, and then also run all your loads thru one for 24 hours or so, and see how many watt hours or kWh you need to cover. This number will help get you started with finding how much actual battery capacity youre going to need. With these numbers, you can then get a better feel for what unit is going to work best for your needs. Keep in mind… the larger the inverter and unit… the more losses you generally are going to witness if you’re just needing to power small DC loads or something… We try to advise people to purchase units relative to the specific use case because some units can just be considered overkill and a “waste” if you dont really need them. Thats why the brand spankin new AC60/B80 units are appealing for soo many people! Very efficient at smaller loads (under the 600w limit of the inverter) but can be expanded up to 2015wh of capacity with the b80 expansions!

Another thing to keep in mind is even tho units like the eb180 dont feature LifePo4 battery cells… they are still going to last a LOOOONGG time before the cells degrade. Probably wont ever even notice this degradation to be honest haha but I find myself snagging my eb180 as my “go-to” unit alot of the time, and it was a “refurb” purchase for under $400!! It doesnt have all the “bells and whistles” of app control or anything like that… but its been a SOLID WORK HORSE and has gone thru ALOT of torture to be honest… haha So sometimes units like these “EB” series can be more stable without having those extra fancy components? But the beauty of Bluetti is that they all have came a loong way and they offer many high quality options that will suite your specific use case. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Can confirm, EB150, EB180 and EB240 arent that “fancy” but they do their Job really good!

2 Likes

Black Friday newsletter reminded me to follow-up here :slight_smile: and with the news of the AC200L I think I’ve read it’s offering pass-through now, just like the larger modular units to. Seems perfect for boat use too. I see the Black Friday offer lasts until Sunday, I should manage to make a decision by then!

1 Like

@Diane I’ve been putting it thru its paces and the ac200L has been an absolute MONSTER around the house! haha And yes… the price they are offering it at right now is going to be VERY hard to beat! :slight_smile:

1 Like

quite the collection you have there :blue_heart:
mind me asking - do you have typical use cases for each format, or are you more into collecting to nice devices :-) ?

1 Like

@Diane Absolutely! I’m currently using the AC2A as a “UPS” for my office computer and printer setup. Its small so can fit nicely under my desk and has worked great as we’ve had a few small outages due to the electric company trimming trees locally the past couple weeks.

The AC70 is fantastic for small day trips powering my 12v cooler, charging gopros on-the-go and other mobile applications. Plenty of capacity to last a good 2-3 days and does have the inverter strength to power AC appliances up to 1000w! In fact I just used that yesterday to blend up some purees and made a couple smoothies over at my mother-in-laws! haha Its a great well-rounded unit for sure.

And the AC200L is going to make its home in my scamp camper when were going out adventuring as it can power pretty much anything I throw at it! haha Air conditioner… check. Heater… check. Water pump… check. And with its RV plug, I can plug up directly to it! And as a bonus, that will save us money when camping as we wont need a “pedestal” camp site!

What it comes down to, is that you want to pair your unit (and its inverter size) for what you are planning on running. For example, as the size of the inverter increases… the overall efficiency numbers will decrease if you’re just using it to power/charge smaller draw items. Meaning, even tho its MORE then capable to do so… I dont plan on using the heavy hitter AC200L to only charge my cell phone. lol Unless I am powering a bunch of items at the same time, it just makes sense to use a smaller unit. That’d be like using a semi-trailer to haul a gallon of milk or something. :rofl:

2 Likes

thank you for sharing the details Mike, that helps me seeing practical use for these devices. It seems black friday has created some attention around the new AC200L… and I’m ordering my unit tonight!
Your posts, and the forum really helped. Something tells me I’ll love this choice!

1 Like