60' 14AWG MC4 Extension Cable for my EP500 PRO

Where can I find a 60’ 14AWG MC4 Extension Cable for my EP500 PRO? I need one that long to cover the distance between the Solar Panels and the Ep500.

I got a 30’ one on amazon pretty cheap. Don’t know if they come in 60’ length or not but you can easily buy the connectors and cable separate and just put them together yourself. I made some short ones up and it was pretty easy. You might also want to consider a heavier gauge for such a long length. Maybe 10 AWG?

1 Like

The easiest way is to connect multiple units together

60’ run is pretty long for 14awg, how many amps are you planning to run through that thing? If it is 6-8A, then it is probably OK. But if you are running 10A or more, then you may want to go 12 or even 10awg to minimize losses.

1 Like

Am using it to charge my EP500 pro from the solar panels. The panels are about 60’ away. That is where I have the maximum exposure to the sun. I will try connecting multiple units together.

The limiting factor here still is how many amps are you going to run through the cable. You need to be able to provide that information as well as the voltage being run before a satisfactory answer can be given regarding thickness of wires.

1 Like

I have no idea where to get the amps and voltage information (I am tech. challenge as far as that goes). All I have is the description of what I am trying to accomplish. I want to charge my EP500 PRO using two Bluetti SP200 solar panels. But the charging cable that came with the EP500 Pro is too short to get to where the solar panels are. The MC4 cable that came with it has AWM 2464 14AWG VW-1 80degreesC 300V on it. I want a cable that will extend it to the solar panels. That’s all.

The SP200 has Imp of 6A (6A current at max power), so assuming you are hooking 2 in series, the current will only be 6A at the max. In that case, I would think 14awg is OK (voltage drop of just under 5%).

1 Like

Thank you so much for your response. Can the 10 AWG or 12 AWG, also work?

10 or 12 AWG will be fine. I use 80 feet of it with 5 SP200 panels in series. Here’s a link to one of the brands I have used, there are many others. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01D7VBMN2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

The SP200 is 10a and if I remember right the SP120 is probably about 6a.

You are right! The SP200 is 10A at 20V. In that case, you would probably want to go 12awg or 10awg. I was relying on this page which must be in error, 6A x 20V = 120W, not 200. 10A x 20V = 200W makes a lot more sense.

There is an information detail that many laypersons don’t know. Alternating Current (60 Hz AC) can use a smaller gage that Direct Current for the same amperage. So a 12 AWG wire can handle 20 A with AC but only about 15 A with DC. It can be proven with math formulas but basically with AC the electrons just move back and forth with a very short rest every 8.3 msec, while with DC they are always moving. So the wire heating is reduced with AC. Transformers only work with AC to change voltages. DC to DC converters must create AC to change voltages with transformers, then rectify and filter the AC back to DC.

There are other equations related, but this all proves why Nikola Tesla was right to promote AC over Thomas Edison’s DC power over long distances. Tesla also uses the natural ground or earth (he created that name) as a return conductor to the generator, saving money in conductor cost.

In conclusion, DC is better for short distance power movement, and AC is better for long distance power movement.

When I purchased my 2 ep500 pro, there was a deal on the 350 solar panels so I bought the 3. I didn’t know that each (panel) was a group of 4 panels. Not having an owners manual complicates setting up my three (4 panels). I do know that I need larger guage wire because of the 50’ distance from the panels to the generators. How do I calculate the power generated (solar) to bring the ep500 pro’s to full power?

I know enough about electricy to be dangerous, so I want to be very careful. Thank you.

The power generated by any PV panel is the product of its voltage by its current (amperage). A typical 100 watt rated panel may have a 12 volt rating and a 8. 5 A rating. Each panel has the manufacturer’s rating on a label. Find that label and write down its specifications. Then plan how to add the panels together. If ther are in series, the current (amps) will remain the same but the voltabes add up. If they are connected in para.lel, tne amos add up but tbe voltage remains the same. You can combine two panels in series then in parallel with two more in series and both values are added. Finally, voltage x amps = watts (power).