3 Way Switch for DC Solar Charging, Battery Charging and Off

I am planning on using a Bluetti AC200 as the main battery source in a Ram ProMaster campervan. I’d like the Bluetti installation to be “semi-permanent” on a shelf, where access to the AC and DC input cables will not be easy. Since the Solar and Car Battery can not simultaneously be plugged into the AC200, is anyone aware of some kind of 2-Way or better yet 3-Way switch that could be used to wire the Solar Power and Van Power in, with the switch then directing one or the other (never both) to the Bluetti? A 3-Way switch might also have an “Off” position so neither are connected.

1 Like

I’m using something like this for my camper application.

Good thinking, rea$onable; precise type (1-2-both off), different price: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0896ZTZLH/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_3Q1WA5MBAJNEY7BE04N5?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks to both of you. Exactly what I was looking for.

1 Like

Bob - how did this work out? I want to do the same thing - have one incoming PV line and have the ability have it run to my bluetti ac200max built in SCC, or to switch it to a separate solar charge controller feeding my battery.

Phillip,
It has worked out well - we just switch between “Solar/PV” and “Battery/Car”. To be safe, we usually switch the manual switch from either choice to the “Off” position, then switch the Bluetti to the proper input, then switch the manual switch from “Off” to “Solar/PV” or “Battery/Car”. We might be able to switch the Bluetti first, then the turn the manual switch, but I think we’d likely get an Overload fault if the sun was shining, and we switched from “Solar/PV” to “Battery/Car”., the amps possibly higher than 8A, and it would trip out. We don’t switch between the two inputs that often.
If I had to do it again, I might get a slightly different switch - this one actually had, Off, Input 1, Input 2, and Both Inputs. Out of a concern for overloading the Bluetti, we do not ever turn the switch to the “Both Inputs” position. However, there is no physical way on the switch to prevent turning it to that position. If there was a true 3 position switch (Off, Input 1, and Input 2), that would be preferable.

You look like you are planning on using the switch to direct the incoming PV power to either the Bluetti or a separate solar charge controller, but it should work fine.

Phillip,
It has worked out well. To be safe, we usually switch the manual switch from either choice to the “Off” position, then switch the Bluetti to the proper input, then switch the manual switch from “Off” to “Solar/PV” or “Battery/Car”. We might be able to switch the Bluetti first, then the turn the manual switch, but I think we’d likely get an Overload fault if the sun was shining, and we switched from “Solar/PV” to “Battery/Car”, as the amps would possibly be higher than 8A, and it would trip out. We don’t switch between the two inputs that often.

If I had to do it again, I might get a slightly different switch - this one actually had Off, Input/Output 1, Input/Output 2, and Both Inputs/Outputs. Out of a concern for overloading the Bluetti, we do not ever turn the switch to the “Both Inputs/Outputs” position. However, there is no physical way on the switch to prevent turning it to that position. If there was a true 3 position switch (Off, Input/Output 1, and Input/Outputs 2), that would be preferable.

You look like you are planning on using the switch to direct the incoming PV power to either the Bluetti or a separate solar charge controller, but it should work fine.

Thanks Bob - glad to hear its working out.