12V / 25A port has no power

Hello,

I have connected my 12v/25A aviation plug to a fuse block. I tested the wiring set up on my kitchen table as proof of concept. My composting toilet has an exhaust fan which worked fine off the fuse block.

I installed the fuse block in my RV/van and wired my Maxxfan exhaust to the fuse block. I connected the 12v/25A aviation plug, powered up the AC200(P), turned the DC power on and turned on the fan. The fan did not work. I used my circuit tester to verify that the fuse block had no power.

I have a spare XT60 pig tail which I connected to the 12v/25A aviation plug. My circuit tester verified that there was no output from the 12v/25A aviation plug.

I have verified that some of the other DC output ports are working fine.

I checked the fault history and there were no events.

Is it possible to reset this port? Does anyone have a suggestion of how to test the 12v/25A aviation plug with out buying another or having another AC200(P)?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Doug

When you say “circuit tester” do you mean a meter which can measure voltage? If not, you need to verify that there is postively no voltage coming from the port. You already mentioned that ther is voltage coming from some of the other DC output ports. You should have power at the cigarette lighter socket on the AC200P assuming the DC is in the “ON” position. If you do have voltage at the end of the aviation cable verify the polarity of the wiring matches what you need in your fuse block. If it is reversed, it will not function.

If you are getting no voltage from the end of the aviation cable, unscrew the black outer housing of the aviation plug and inspect the wiring solder connections to verify that they are attached and in working order.

1 Like

Hi Scott,

Thanks for your reply.

My “circuit tester” is just a probe with an LED light and a ground clip. It worked during my proof of concept configuration.

I will unscrew the outer housing of the aviation plug and inspect the connections. I can buy a proper voltage meter to verify there is no power from the aviation plug…

Can I use the voltage meter to test the two posts that supply the aviation plug from the AC200P?

Thanks again for your help.

Cheers,
Doug

@DAStewart like Scott said, I would get a multimeter and check your output at the aviation cable. Wouldn’t hurt to also get a kill-a-watt meter and see just how much your appliances are pulling upon startup. You can run your “shore-line” into an AC adapter and directly into the kill-a-watt unit, and this should show you how much draw you need in a max setting.

I have a similar setup as yours for my 13’ Scamp camper and have no issues running the appliances thru this setup.

You can test for the presence of voltage with your LED and clip but it will not give you an indication of the amount of voltage or if the wiring polarity is correct. I have seen two occurences of a wire not being connected properly inside the aviation connector that needed to be re-soldered. Both those occurrences were on the charging input aviation cable and not the DC output such as yours though.

The main thing you need to determine is starting with the two contacts coming out of the AC200 DC aviation connection, check to verify that you have more than 12.5 volts DC present when the DC setting is turned on. Be very careful to not touch the red and black wire leads of the meter together as it will cause a short. If you have the DC voltage present, the next step would be to fully plug in the aviation DC output cable and check for DC voltage present at the end of the aviation cable XT60 end. If you then have voltage present at the XT60 end the positive and negative polarity of the wires leading to your fuse block would be my first suspect.

If you do not have any voltage present at the output connections (directly on the AC200 aviation output connection with no cables attached) for the DC 25 amp output and you are positive the DC output is turned on via the display screen then I would assume your AC200 had an issue that customer service needs to resolve.

If you do have voltage present at the AC200 DC output aviation port but not at the end of the XT60 side of the cable, I would suspect one of the wires is not connected in the aviation output cable at the aviation connector side. The large round tube portion of the aviation connector simply unscrews from the end and this will expose the wires and connection for visible inspection. If a wire is loose or disconnected, it can be re-soldered back on or the cable can be replaced.

1 Like

Hello,

Thanks for your replies Scott and m.briney.

I will purchase a multi meter today and investigate further.

I only will have a MaxxFan (5amp) and Nature’s Head composting toilet exhaust fan (less than an amp) running off of the 12v/25A aviation plug.

Thanks for your help gentleman and wish me luck.

Cheers,
Doug

1 Like

You are welcome but luck is for those without skills and with Mike Briney in your corner you have nothing to fear.

Hello,

I was able to get the 12v/25A aviation plug working. Not sure what I did though.

I dissembled the aviation plug and checked the connections which all looked good.

I put things back together and used a multi meter to determine that there was output from the port and through the aviation plug.

I hooked it up again in the van and both exhaust fans worked fine.

Thanks for all of your help. I guess I should order another 12v/25A aviation plug so I have a back up. When I ordered it before from Bluetti support it took a few months coming from China. Is this available now and where could I order it from? Any suggestions would be great.

Cheers,
Doug

1 Like

The availability is sporadic. You can order the aviation connector from amazon and make your own if comfortable doing that. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Q992WDZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

@DAStewart Glad to hear you got it working Doug! Like Scott said, you can pick up that WEIPU SA20 2-pin from Amazon as he linked up above or you can find it on eBay. Just make sure you’re getting the “WEIPU” brand SA20 2-pin (like he had linked above) and you’ll be good to go… I made the mistake of ordering other aviation plugs that looked similar/were cheaper but they didn’t work out. eBay also estimated like 3 weeks delivery times… but it got here in Michigan in like 5 days. :metal:

Hi Scott,

Thanks again for all your help. I have ordered a back up 12v/25A aviation plug using your link to Amazon. It will only be two weeks delivery time.

Cheers,
Doug

1 Like

Hi m.briney,

Thanks for all of your help. I followed Scott’s link to order the proper plug as a back up.

Cheers,
Doug

1 Like

The one benefit of making your own cable is you can utilize 12 or 10 ga wire to increase the current capacity. 12 ga. works easily and the 10 ga. works with a little effort. The contact insert pieces can be swapped between pieces (from the amazon link) to use for either an aviation input (charging) or aviation output (12 volt 25 amp output) cable. BUT IF YOU DON’T WANT TO HAVE TO DO THAT THERE IS A SELECTION YOU CAN MAKE THAT OFFERS THE PLUG WITH EITHER A MALE OF FEMALE CONNECTOR SET. THIS IS A CHOICE DEPENDING ON WHETHER YOU ARE MAKING AND INPUT CHARGING CABLE OR AN OUTPUT 25 AMP CABLE. They are high quality connection fittings.

The hardest part is finding 12 ga. good quality two conductor cable sheathed in a round format. This 12 ga. cable worked well for me but is pricey in shorter lengths. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08JHCTMP7/ref=ppx

1 Like