Small wind turbine for EB3A or EB55

I am looking for information on how to hook up a small wind turbine to an EB3A or EB55. I have both of these units (also an AC200P) with a total of 4 SP200 panels. So when the sun is shining, I can charge these with no problem. I know there are a lot of articles about how inefficient the wind turbines are, but I am looking for something in a worst case scenario where there is no sun for a few days, and all the fuel has been used for the gas generator. Even a 100W of input is better than none.

I can’t find anything that shows how to hook up the wind turbine to the generator. Any help would be appreciated as well as any success or disaster stories.

1 Like

Hallo BPS, last thursday i send an email to: https://flowerturbines.com/ if this one could connect to a Bluetti. IT should be because on the picture you can see a Jackery :-)

Greetings Rob.

As an EE, I see no immediate problem connecting a turbine generator to the EB3A or the EB55 (I have one). If the output is direct current or DC, you can connect it to the PV (photovoltaic) input but be careful that at its maximum speed the generated voltage will not exceed the PV input limit (about 27 VDC). If it is AC, then you need a rectifier to convert that output to DC. These two Bluetti units cannot charge directly from AC.

1 Like

The part that is confusing me and I can’t seem to find any diagrams is how to wire in the wind turbine controller. What I am reading indicates that you need the controller to deal with any overvoltage or excess when the batteries are full. When you hook up the controller, it always says to hook up the battery first. So I don’t think a direct connection to the PV input is a good way to go, at least I have not seen any diagrams indicating that. The controller does have a DC Load output, so wondering if you need to have a battery connected and then connect the DC Load to the DC Input to the Bluetti. Almost like a car charge.

Okay we need to go to the power station, such as your EB3A, and understand how it manages the photovoltaic or PV input. These solar panels generate variable voltages from zero to the maximum that the manufacturer certifies according to the solar energy strength. So this is a power source that varies its voltage output. Then you need to regulate that input to get the most power from the PV and set a minimum voltage input. On the EB55 which I have, the minimum is 12 V and the maximum is 27 V. The regulator that the EB55 and other power stations have is defined as a MPPT or “maximun power point transfer” which is a dynamic power regulator that adjusts itself to transfer the most power possible from the PV to its internal circuitry and charge the battery or supply the inverter to generate AC power.

I wrote that you can attach the turbine generator to this PV input because it also produces a variable voltage output which depends on the wind speed and blade rotation (RPM). Thus the PV input is the only port that has the MPPT which can take in that power and regulate it safely. The only warning is if the speed is too fast and generates a voltage higher than the power station limit then it can damage the MPPT. Large wind turbines may have a speed limiter but I recommend getting all the specifications first before risking the power station. If it has a built in controller it will protect the PV input as it were a direct load.

So, yes, go ahead and get a wind power turbine geneator for your work station.

1 Like

I understand that the PV input to the unit is MPPT that will regulate the input. As long as the EB3A is taking in the power, then all should be fine as the wind turbine I am looking at should not exceed the voltage. My other concern though is how the wind turbine will react when the EB3A is at 100% and will no longer take any power from the turbine. I have seen many articles that say you need the wind turbine controller to bleed off the power or it will burn out the turbine itself.

If the EB3A internal battery is fully charged, then no current would flow. This is as if you disconnected the PV input, eithet a solar panel or the wind turbine. Just to be dure, run the wind turbine with nothing attached to it and just measure the output voltage. If you get good readings then your concern is resolved.