Frustration with cables (not) provided for B210

So the user guide says the B210 should be fully charged before connecting it as an expansion battery. The only cables provided with the unit were the expansion cable and a PV cable that can’t be simply swapped out for the PV cable that connects my AC200L to my solar panels with the XT90 connector. The AC200L has a DC to XT90 to MC4 but this one is only MC4 with no intermediary XT90 connection, so it won’t connect to my PV extension cable that terminates in XT90. I’d have to get another extension cable ending in MC4 to traverse the 30ft to my PV array.

How are we expected to fully charge the B210 before connecting it as an expansion battery unless we have a PV setup? Oh, we have to spend another $150+ on an AC adapter (T500) and hope that product includes all the right connection cables while we’re waiting to setup our off-grid power system, because the connectors on the cables and devices are not called out in the user guide so you can’t be sure you’re getting what you need. Certainly the website isn’t going to recommend all the cables you actually need at the time of purchase because that might be helpful.

The fact that every single unit seems to have a completely different set of ports and cables and the documentation is super opaque about what the cables actually are and critical cables are omitted from purchases is really putting me off the brand. I’m about to return this B210 and dis-recommend buying into Bluetti. Please tell me this situation is going to get better in the future.

1 Like

Hi @Robin_Canaday, I believe there has been a misunderstanding. Our manual provides a recommendation, not a requirement, so it’s not something you must do. Generally, we recommend customers use solar panels to charge the B210 separately. However, given that your solar array is too far away and the cables aren’t long enough, it is indeed inconvenient.
In fact, not fully charging the B210 separately won’t affect its usage. We suggest directly connecting the AC200L and the B210 and using them together. Does this work for you?

Yes, I can do that. If just connecting it to the AC200L to fully charge for initial use is acceptable why does the user manual recommend a full charge before connection?

Hey @Robin_Canaday

i can imagine that this have something to do with the BMS. But i cant say for sure. Maybe it doesnt have any technical reasons and its just to be ready to use the full potention of you AC200L.

greetings
Erik

1 Like

Hi @Robin_Canaday, When the main unit AC200L and the battery pack B210 are connected, if the B210’s charge level is too low, resulting in a significant SOC (State of Charge) difference between the two, the AC200L will prioritize charging the B210 to balance the power. This could potentially impact the customer’s usage experience. So we recommend charging the B210 first, and when both units are fully charged, connecting them will provide better performance.
In cases where it is inconvenient to charge the B210 separately, for example, if the B210’s SOC is around 30%, we suggest discharging the AC200L until its SOC also reaches 30% before connecting the two units. Ensuring that both units have balanced SOC will result in better performance.
Thank you to @Selfmadestrom for the assistance and explanation.

Thanks for the help, both of you. I will drain my AC200L to the 60% the B210 is currently charged to per its indicator.

It turns out my Renogy panels are rated for a max of 10.42A and the B210 is 10A. It might have been a bad idea to hook them up to the B210 directly anyway.

@Robin_Canaday The B210 would just draw a max of 10A from your panels so no worries there. However if the total Open Circuit Voltage (Voc should be stated on the panels and/or in their specs) for your array is over the 60V max input of the B210 then unless it protected itself by stopping its DC input it would very probably be damaged.

Hugh