Expansion battery options for ac180

Hi, serious inquiry here, are expansion battery packs a feasible idea for the ac180? I’m aware there aren’t currently out there (please tell me otherwise). Should I expect something from the expansion series to be compatible with the ac180? Or am I resorted to the larger ac family for extra battery pack compatibility? I’m consistently hitting 100% on most days and would like to get the most out of it but I’m aware of its capabilities. I would appreciate any input! Thanks!

Sorry I must correct this you can connect any of the expansion batteries to the AC180 via the DC Input Port, the same port you connect solar to the device through, looking at the AC180 top left hand corner, which will allow you to charge the AC180 at 500W.

The expansion battery must be activated in Power Bank Mode.

You will also need to purchase the appropriate cable, pending what expansion battery you are looking at purchasing to be able to use it in this configuration.

I presently do this exact procedure with a B80 on one of the AC180’s and a B230 on another AC180.

Works perfectly.

2 Likes

Thank you for your response! That’s great to hear.

Thank you for your response! Why is this unit not able to connect directly with the expansion batteries compared to the other larger units? Seems like a seamless feature.

There is no battery connection port on the AC180 and no ability to communicate or charge an external battery. That is why you cannot directly connect to an expansion battery.

@rbecker28 You can connect the ac180 to the allowed expansion batteries via the proper cable… see pic below:

But like Scott and DJR said above… this unit only accepts the “expansion” via the “powerbank mode”. Meaning the ac180 and the expansions wont communicate. You will only be able to get an input charge from the expansions.

You can find more information and details about that cable here..
https://www.bluettipower.com/products/external-battery-connection-cable

You are right, I deleted my post.

But can you charge the AC180 with solar WHILE it is attached to the expansion battery? Seems it is the same port and that would be impossible. I nee dthat cappacity of the two combined but i need to be solar charging at the same time. Any way to do that?

@Fullcircle, Short answer, No. The only way to charge power banks such as the AC180 or AC70 etc from 2 sources, are solar or DC to the D7909 input port (XT60 on the AC70) and AC to the AC input. I have done this off grid.
I have used 2 x 150W solar panels in series to the DC input, whilst also charging in silent mode at around 280W from a vehicle mounted Victron 375W inverter when idling the 4x4.
I also have a small 800W inverter generator when at camp that can replace the Victron when static.
In silent mode this works on both of my AC70 & 180 power banks, for an approx total of over 500W.

Edit - I carry the genset when bad weather severely limits solar.

If you take a B300, you have an mppt solar input but limited to 200w (VOC 12-60VDC, 10A max).
However, if you take a b230 or a B300, and a D050s, you can inject up to 500w solar (via the mppt of the d050s). The d050s is connected to the b230 or B300 via the ac dc adapter input (dc7909 connector).

You can leave the expansion battery connected to the DC Input Port of the AC180 and charge the expansion battery via solar which in turn will charge the AC180.

1 Like

Ok, so what is the max solar input in watts that these expansion batteries will accept?

It’s in ly post above :slight_smile:
If you take a B300, you have an mppt solar input but limited to 200w (VOC 12-60VDC, 10A max).
However, if you take a b230 or a B300, and a D050s, you can inject up to 500w solar (via the mppt of the d050s). The d050s is connected to the b230 or B300 via their ac dc adapter input (dc7909 connector).

1 Like

Bluetti really dropped the ball on the AC180. Their rivals in this class have direct expansion capability. If I had known this before I bought the 180, I would have bought another brand (having something to do with a River…).