EB70 randomly doesn't charge when in pass thru mode and powered to mains

Hi

We have been using an EB70 (eco mode off) to power a pump in pass thru mode, generally it works well and the pump continues to run during a power outage. The pump switches on and off depending on water level. The pump is on the AC inverter (UK setup). The pump draws a smallish amount of power then switches off and the expectation was the EB70 then charges backup from the mains to 100% and waits for the next demand.

What sometimes happens is the EB70 just drains down to zero and never charges (no mains power outage occurred), the charger box stays with the green light regardless of the EB70 charge state (see picture). Flicking the mains switch and once moving the charger seemed to reset this and initiated charging again.

Does anyone have any advice please ?

Some detail, the pump cycles on and off maybe every 8 minutes (worst case but usually longer). Draws about 270w for a few minutes and usually the EB70 input goes upto 197w until the battery is back to 100%. The numbers say that the EB70 should be pretty much be always fully charged unless there is a period of mains outage.

The EB70 is indoors so not at a low temperature.

Thanks
Mark

Welcome to the forum @MarkH !

So first thing is that you’re right… the eb70 should automatically start charging up again when it senses an AC Input source. The light on the brick should be red when charging and then turn to green when its completed. (NOTE-the fans on that t200 brick dont ever turn off while powered) What I have done, because I cant stand having the fan on that brick running all the time, would be to try to run the t200 charging brick thru a smart plug. That way you can tell it to turn on/off remotely, and also would “reset” it hopefully fixing the charging problem you’re noticing currently?

Also you should know that the eb70 will shut off its AC/DC outputs when the unit is depleted down to 0% SOC. And since it doesnt automatically turn on the inverter/AC outputs again when it regains power… you will need to manually enable that ac output. Either by pressing the physical button, or by being within range to enable it via the app.

But as far as the unit and the power brick having issues not starting automatically… maybe its because its overheating or something by constantly being ran? And then needs that “reset” to get it start again? I am not sure but that smart plug method I talked about above should hopefully fix that issue. If the EB70 featured a UPS function, this would be a different story, but Id say that these charging bricks arent “designed” to be ran 24/7 in this type of setting and that might be why you’re experiencing this?

Have you thought about maybe upgrading your eb70 to the new ac70 or even the ac200L unit? These both feature a “UPS” that would work great for your setup. And with the AC200L… you’d be able to connect the unit to your wifi and remotely monitor things 24/7.

@MarkH Another option you could try would be to use a different charging source/power brick? Now I dont work for Bluetti and want to disclose that this is NOT a recommendation from them, lol so as far as voiding any warranty or whatever, that would be between you and them… but I have heard of people getting different charging bricks (that dont include the internal fan) like this one…
https://a.co/d/9Dj3zlO
And that might solve your issue as well? I personally would go with the smart-plug in-between the wall and your t200 brick, BUT if you do go this alternative route… I would def advise to double check polarity and voltage specs of the product before using as I have not used that specific one I linked above.

Hi

Thanks for the speedy replies and ideas, I’ll have a think and a google for plug options (and chargers maybe), Ideally, I wouldn’t want to upgrade due to the cost and the EB70 is fairly new.

Thanks
Mark

You may want to experiment with adding a small ac constant load and see if that solves the issue. Also there is no Pass Through mode on your model and your battery is on a continual drain, charge process which will consume the battery life. As Mike Briney stated, some of the newer models which contain a true UPS feature and internal chargers (no charging brick) may be a good long term solution

1 Like

Thanks Both

I’ll look into all those ideas, the low ac drain should be easy enough - just a very low wattage lamp

Thanks
Mark

1 Like