EB3A charging irregularities

I’ve experienced the typical EB3A % charge discrepancies and went through the process of fulling depleting, then fully charging from AC (uninterrupted). It was not easy for me because I’m off-grid and don’t want to run a generator unnecessarily. I managed to charge it from my main solar array through an AC inverter but it took a few tries because of overheating (at 99%!). It took a large block of ice placed beside the EB3A’s fan intake to keep it cool. Success, I thought. A week later and it’s straying from the correct % charge again. I’ve noticed though, that it will cut out charging at 70% or so, but will provide power well below 1%.
My question is, is there any harm in letting the unit say whatever it wants about its state of charge and not keep going through the drain completely/recharge process?
Also, why does it randomly decide that it will only charge at 150-160W instead of 250-260W? It’s frustrating to never know how long it will take to charge.

1 Like

Hi @zelig

For the calibration part are only two options. Bluetti publish a firmware update to fix any Problems with the BMS or you need to do the cycles you already mentioned. When you cycle them, its really important to fully drain it with a constant load and recharge it with a constant current via AC.

That should teach the BMS what its lowest and highest possible state is.

About the overheating issue i recommend to use the forum search, there where similar topics in the past.

Greetings
Erik

No harm in a SOC discrepancy on the screen. Slower than expected charge rates are usually the result of internal elevated temps and the charge rate limited until the EB3a cools down. Also the charge rate will reduce when approx. 85% or above state of charge.

Thanks for this info. Bummer though, that you say I need to deplete the unit at a steady rate.

Thank you. The drop in charge rate seems to happen within 5 seconds of plugging it in. Maybe I need to pre-chill the unit first, then keep it cool somehow.