EB3A AC charging is oddly sporadic

Have to wiggle AC input cord to get it to start. Then the “Watts” display jumps around from 60 to over 200 and anything in between. Got it to charge to 75% capacity somehow, but it’s stuck there. I have a second unit that is operating OK. Wondering if I could charge my flaky unit with a DC charger, but can’t locate one with the right specs and input connector. Can you recommend or do you sell a DC charger for this? (12-28 VDC / 8.5A) Input connector port is not same dimensions as generic 12V DC chargers.

Hi @Stoerzbach258 , It looks like the AC charging port on your EB3A is in poor contact. You can try using a new AC charging cable to troubleshoot the issue.

Regarding the DC charger, we are not sure if you are referring to the solar charging cable or the car charging cable. Here are the specifications for the EB3A charging cables:
Solar Charging Cable: 59in/150cm, 16AWG, MC4 to DC7909
Car Charging Cable: 28in/72cm, 16AWG, Cigarette Lighter Port to DC7909.
If you would like to purchase additional cables, please contact our customer support via email for assistance.

I was hoping for a power adapter charging cable that would plug into a standard wall outlet but terminate in a male connector that would fit into the Bluetti DC charging port, which you apparently designate as a DC7909 port. So it would need to meet the specs (12-28 VDC / 8.5A) and also fit into the Bluetti DC charging port. Would this transformer work if I can put a DC7909 male connector on it?
DC 12V 8A Power Supply Adapter, 96W AC 100V-240V to DC 12V 8A Transformer

Hi @Stoerzbach258 , Yes it is, you can use this transformer to charge the EB3A, it works like car charging.

Thanks for your response. That’s good news. Now, a follow-up question: Would this means of DC charging using an AC to DC transformer be likely to work better than AC charging when the power source is a whole-house generator? In other words, does the AC to DC transformer tend to clean up generator input power, at least to some extent?

Sorry, forgot to ask related question. Can I use the EB3A as a kind of a “UPS” to support a low wattage device like a modem/router when the sole charging input for the EB3A is the AC to DC transformer I gave specs for in my earlier question? I’m thinking it would be similar to the way my Microsoft Surface works – it is always running on the battery in the Surface, and that battery is staying charged by the AC to DC transformer that is inline with the Surface power supply. Would the same principle apply to my question above?

Hi @Stoerzbach258, We’re not entirely clear on the question you’re asking. Are you inquiring about whether DC or AC charging is more efficient?

Regarding the “clean up generator input power” question, are you asking if the generator can filter the wave while charging the EB3A and simultaneously bypassing the load? Please note that when the machine is bypassing the load, the AC output waveform is the same as the generator’s output waveform.

Let me rephrase my questions.

First question:
If we are in a general power outage and forced to use a whole house generator, should I expect the EB3A to charge reliably using a transformer (Power Supply Adapter, 96W AC 100V-240V to DC 12V 8A) and DC7909 male connector to the DC input? I think the DC input is slower charging, right? But even so, if it is a cleaner input than the AC input, then it would be useful, correct? In other words, would this transformer help clean up the electricity coming from the generator.

Second question:
Could I use the EB3A in the following way –
I would like to run a low wattage modem/router constantly from the EB3A battery’s AC output port, whether house power is on or off, and at the same time use a transformer (Power Supply Adapter, 96W AC 100V-240V to DC 12V 8A) and DC7909 male connector to have the EB3A constantly being charged when either utility power or generator power is available. Am I right in thinking this would have the same outcome as using the UPS Bypass Mode, but without using the AC input port? I am thinking this way because it seems that AC charging does not work well our whole house generator.