charging AC300 from Van battery/alternator

I have installed an AC300 in a camper van build (with two B300’s) and now want to charge from vehicle. I purchased a 1000 W inverter which I now question whether it is big enough since my unit charges at about 1800 W max from “shore power” (120 V with Bluetti set at 15 A). Should I send it back and buy a 2000 W inverter? Also, should I install the inverter under the hood and run an extension cord back to the AC300 or run a long cord from the battery to the inverter and plug the AC300 into the inverter directly? If the later what gauge should I use?

Obviously, I know enough to just be dangerous.

1 Like

@Tennessee You can see what the output power rating of your 1kW inverter is, the input power of AC300 needs to be less than the rated output power of 1kw.
You can also reduce the input power by turning down the input current of the AC300 to reduce the input power to charge from the 1kW inverter, or you can just switch to a 2kW inverter, of course.
Sorry but I don’t seem to comprehend what your second question means?

IF you work with an AC inverter, then the closer to the 12V source, the better. 1000W will be roughly 100Amp on the 12V side (HUGE!), going from the inverter Out to the Bluetti will be less than 10Amp - nothing special.

However: I would return the inverter. Way to inefficient to go from 12V DC → 120AC → ~50DC to charge Batteries. I assume, there will be at least 20% Energy loss to heat, maybe more.

My solution DCDC converter (12-48V), as close to the power source (alternator) as possible. The AC300 can charge from there. On the AC200MAx this would be ~10-15A, so 500-750W. Realize that this would be 40-60Amp continuous load on the Alternator. That’s substantial, and I would not want to go any higher, unless the Alternator is BIG.

Note that you can turn down the AC input rate of the AC300. If you have a 1000w inverter producing 110-120V, I would suggest you turn the AC input current down to around 7A, so you are only using 80% of the inverters max rating for longevity. You will charge around 800W. I would expect inverter charge to be around 80% efficient.

Yes a DC 12-48V step up would be more efficient maybe 90% but you are limited to 12A max per MPPT DC input so around 550W charging.