Charging AC200P from Starter Battery

My overland setup I am putting together WILL include 300 watts of solar via CIGS panels on a roof top tent, I am trying to figure out the best way to get an additional 400 to 500w of charge while driving to the battery. One thought, an inverter off of the car battery and then the included AC charger to the unit. My second thought, and one Im very unclear on a setup of, is somehow utilizing the dc charging enhancer (d050s) for its full 500w capability directly off the starter battery and run it to the back of my 4Runner. Is this possible and what would the setup look like?

1 Like

Thank you for the excellent information. Not being an electrical expert, I don’t understand everything but I get the general idea.
Can I ask whether it would be possible to use a pair of 12v batteries connected to the PV port to extend the battery running duration?

Yes you can connect to a pair of car batteries, I would connect them in series to double the voltage to 24 volts and you will see around a 200 watt transfer rate

I have done the same with my van. 640 w solar on roof going to the PV port on the AC200M. A DC-DC charger off the van battery to a Bluetti DC charge enhancer to the AC port of the AC200M. I get about 450-500w of additional charge while driving. Here is a link to the DC-DC charger I used.

Just don’t try charging from the car battery with the engine off. Technically, the vehicle’s alternator is providing the charge, so if you turn off the motor you’ll be draining the vehicle battery which it is NOT designed for, and shorten it’s life.

Starter batteries are made with THIN lead plates to provide a huge amount of current but only for a short burst. Draining them with a continuous current draw shortens their life.

Storage lead acid batteries are made with THICK lead plates to provide continuous current draw. NEVER use these to start a vehicle or you’ll likely damage them.

Are you using your stock alternator with this? I am running an inverter to accomplish the same and it seems to be pulling too much to use long term, and from what I understand it will draw less if I am not converting to AC.

Any images of the wiring? Curious how you have it connected to the DC charge enhancer, as I already have +/- leads coming from the battery posts with a good gauge wire.

I think the alternator is a beefier one than stock. the van came with the doge RV ready package. the DC charge enhancer came with a xt90 to mc4 cable. I just cut off the mc4 ends and put ring connectors that fit the DC to DC charger. form the van battery I used 6 gauge wire to the DC to DC charge. I don’t see a way to post pictures in this forum.
but here is a line diagram
(van battery){ring terminal}–{ring terminal}(60 amp DC breaker)–{ring terminal}(DC to DC charger){ring terminal}–{TX90}(DC charge enhancer){built in output wire DC 7909}(Bluetti AC200Max)

1 Like

Got it, thanks for the guidance!

A DC to DC charger is the solution for you, as Chadney Greene mentioned. Never charge a lithium iron phosphate battery directly from your starter battery because LIPo batteries will take every bit of charge out of your starter battery very quickly. The DC to DC charger prevents that from happening. They will limit the charge amperage to a safe level (depending on your starter battery and alternator capacity) and usually allow a constant charge rate from 10 amps to 60 amps. If you want to charge your AC200P from both solar and DC charger, I would recommend the Victron and Renogy dual-source charger controllers - you can plug in your solar and charger cables to the single controller and both sources will charge your battery. All this depends on the controllers+cables+alternators+solar array to work, but a little bit of research is essential. Pro tip - don’t skimp on cable size and quality. For automotive wiring, use pure copper cables and make sure the cables are sized properly to handle the voltage requirments. Good Luck!

The Jasonoid YouTube channel reviews three voltage converters with SIX power stations (including a Bluetti AC200MAX). Great video on how step-up voltage converters work and what to look out for.

LINK: https://youtu.be/I78RxjRXTn4?si=o3-hVopeYWHV9Dfc