Bluetti EP760 doesn't charge from generator

Hi everyone,

We recently installed the Bluetti EP760 system in a private home, but we’re encountering an issue with charging from a generator. We’ve tried various generator models, including the Matari MH11000EA-ATS and a smaller inverter generator, but none of them seem to work.

When we connect the generator to the house without the EP760, everything operates normally. However, once the EP760 is in the setup between the generator and the power consumers, we encounter problems. The EP760 displays error messages such as “voltage too high,” “voltage too low,” and “frequency voltage too high/low.”

The EP760 works perfectly in off-grid mode and functions well when grid-connected, charging properly and supplying power during grid outages. The manual for the EP760 doesn’t mention specific issues related to generator connections.

Could anyone offer advice on what might be causing this issue and if there is a way to resolve it so that the EP760 can charge from the generator?

Thanks in advance for your help!

1 Like

There are 2 types of inverters. Modified sine wave and pure sine wave. A modified sine wave is cheaper to produce but also less effective and maintaining a smooth frequency, its actually kind of coarse and choppy. Most household items will run just fine on a modified sine inverter but electronics and charging bricks don’t work well with them. Pure sine inverters create a true “pure” sine wave and are preferred but also more expensive. I can’t say for sure but it’s possible your generator has a modified sine inverter, and the charging brick will not work with it.

1 Like

Hi @Max13, I agree with @doecliff’s opinion, maybe it is the generator does not output pure sine wave.
To resolve this issue, we recommend updating all firmware to the latest version. Then, go to Advanced Settings and enable Generator Mode. This will help the EP760 adapt to a wider range of voltage inputs. Please let us know if it does help.

3 Likes

Hi @doecliff and @BLUETTI_CARE , thanks a lot for input!
We really had outdated firmware and didn’t have Generator button. We got it after update, but still both generators didn’t work, despite both of them pretend to give pure sine (that’s why the smaller one is called “inverter” generator) and both of them work well with sensitive electronics requiring pure sine - consumers like heating system pumps, fridge etc.
EP760 shows the same mistakes B098, B099, B100.
However we tried another generator and it worked well - this one GENERGY LIMITED 2000i Buy Gasoline generator GENERGY LIMITED 2000i (nom 1.7 kW, max 2.5 kVA) GENERGY-LIMITED-2000i in the online store Генераторы ЭТС Энерджи
Now we have to find the way how to clean the sine from the Matari generator.
Thanks again for input!

1 Like

Hi @Max13, If other generators are working fine, it suggests that this generator has significant voltage and frequency fluctuations, which may be causing the charging issue.
We recommend that you log into the Bluetti app, connect the generator, and check the voltage and frequency readings.
This will help us investigate the problem further.